1,057 results
All reviewsocean frontgolf cartdeluxe roomgas fireplaceonsite restaurantwet barcomplimentary bottle of winetwo sinkssound of the wavesprivate beachturn down servicesand dunesthe pacific oceanlarge bathroomadirondack chairsromantic getawaypool and jacuzzi
Reviewed November 9, 2011

The hotel promised much more than it delivered. Overall it was basically a fairly typical low-end motel but marketed (and charged) as a luxurious spa retreat!

The quality of the room and the service was adequate though nothing special.

The main area where the hotel falls down is the lack of in-house amenities. The restaurant has extremely limited opening hours (3 pm - 10 pm) and there is no bar or lounge area. The hotel claims to have a spa but really this is just a couple of treatment rooms - there are no other spa facilities like a sauna, steam room etc. Also when we visited, the (outdoor) pool and jacuzzi were being renovated so were effectively unavailable. So there was literally nothing to do in the hotel - and given that the town was a quiet place itself, I expected the hotel to provide the facilities that were lacking locally (or at least some facilities!).

Another annoyance (though I can see how some people would like this) is that you need to use a golf cart to get around the complex. This just makes everything slightly harder than it needs to be - breakfast had to be pre-ordered (along with the time you want it!) and a casual trip to the lobby area required driving!

On the plus side, the location was excellent - right by a beautiful beach - but this was easily accessible by car anyway.

...a sanctuary it was not! Don't go there!!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
ManagementSBR, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2011

We appreciate you weighing in on your recent stay at the resort. We are saddened that our property did not live up to your expectations and we will certainly use your criticisms to better improve our product.

Just a few comments…

The restaurant hours are posted on the resort’s website; they are open daily between noon and 9pm, staying open later on Friday & Saturday, and opening at 4:30 on Monday. The Kula Ranch restaurant does offer a full bar and a wide assortment of wines as well. It is equipped with outdoor fire pits and spacious lounge area.

We understand that the required use of a golf cart is not for everyone. However, this aspect of our property is one of the reasons guests love this place, and for some guests, it is the only reason they come back.

Again, we appreciate your input and look forward to providing more information for our guests in the future.

Reviewed November 9, 2011

We wanted a night away from traffic, cities and noise, and the Sanctuary Beach Resort sounded promising. It was exactly what we wanted. We arrived late-ish (around 8pm). We checked in, and were driven in a golf buggy (with our luggage) up to our ocean view room. The room was huge: a sitting area with fireplace; mini kitchen; giant bathroom with bath and shower; king size bed and desk. You could hear the waves only 30 metres or so away. We had a completely relaxing night and slept beautifully. The next day featured jogging on the beach, swimming in the resort pool, playing with our personal golf buggy and generally chilling until it was time to leave.

Staff were extremely helpful, friendly, and chilled-out. If you want breakfast, they'll deliver a hamper to your room in the morning; we didn't bother, we just made some coffee in the mini-kitchen.

As some of the other reviews suggest: it's isolated. Once you get to your room, there's not much else to do except relax, go for a walk on the beach, enjoy the pool and each other's company. There's a steak restaurant nearby, but that's it. The rooms are gorgeous; the location is gorgeous; it's ISOLATED. If that doesn't work for you, don't bother going!

We were sorry to leave; we'd definitely go again and would stay longer next time.

Two tips:

1) If you want snacks or your own breakfast, pick stuff up before you arrive (there's a Walmart near by). Alternatively, you may have to make an extreme effort of driving your personal golf buggy down to the resort parking lot (5 minutes), then driving out to the nearby shopping centre (10 minutes). And yes, I'm being sarcastic.

2) When you arrive, leave your luggage in the trunk of your car. You'll be driven up to your room in a golf buggy, and they'll come back and meet you at your car. Saves you having to drag your luggage around.

Room Tip: Splurge for an ocean view. It's well worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

I want to offer my sincere thanks for leaving your review. It was funny, refreshing and most of all helpful. We are so thrilled that you enjoyed the resort in its entire splendor; from walks on the beach to leisurely drives in your personal golf cart.

You make a good point when you say the resort is isolated. For those of us who live here, the town can seem full of opportunity and things to do, but for the unknowing traveler, points of interest within the immediate vicinity may seem limited. If you are the self-starter type, then of course you will find your own adventures but for those who need a bit of a push, our Front Office staff takes pride in helping our guests plan fun-filled days and equally fun nights! Don’t ever hesitate to come down and pick our brains! Thanks again for a great review, and we certainly look forward to having you again.

Reviewed November 6, 2011

Hotel is lacking in facilities and services.
It is not possible to purchase food anywhere on the resort out of hours (i.e. post-9pm when we arrived) including room service.
The experience at the resort is stressful by virtue of the rooms being spread out across a large area, with golf buggies to get around in. There are no signs available to get around the sprawling mass of ugly cabins and no-one gave us a map before taking us to our room on the other side of the resort. This is not the beginning of a relaxing break!
This is not really a spa resort. It has spa treatments at a price plus a small outdoor pool and an outdoor jacuzzi, neither of which we could use as there were workmen around the area.
If you want breakfast you have to order the night before - again, not relaxing.
There is just nothing here and it is enormously over-priced.

Room Tip: Don't go here in the first place
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sarahmills
ManagementSBR, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2011

As is evidenced by my previous replies to contributions about the resort; I most always will thank our guests for their reviews whether good or bad because they usually offer some helpful if not constructive criticism. In the case of your review, I will thank you simply for providing me another catalyst for clearing up misconceptions given by upset guests. Your review does not offer anything useful to the other guests. Instead it appears as though you are simply bashing the resort .

The on-site restaurant closes at 9pm Sunday thru Thursday; Fri & Sat its open until 10pm

Marina is a very small town and does not offer much in the way of late night dining. All but a few of the family owned restaurants close around 8 or 9pm. The exceptions, may be open late but either only serve drinks, or do not meet the standards required for us to recommend. Papa Chevos is a great option for Mexican food; open until 12am Sun – Thurs and 2am Fri & Sat. The other options of course are fast-food and Denny's. If you are willing to drive to Monterey (about 15 minutes)inform your concierge because your choices then expand but are still limited because the entire peninsula region has a "sleepy town" vibe to it. This is helpful to know before visiting.

You can place your breakfast menu outside your room at any time you'd like. The night security staff come around for retrieval multiple times throughout the night.

You are given a well-detailed property map on the back of the 3-fold key packet that contains your keys at check-in.

I can see that we are not the right choice for you. You have certainly made that clear with your ultra-low rating marks and negative comments.

Reviewed November 4, 2011

This is a nice place to stay when you want a quiet hotel with great, knowledge staff and a comfortable room. I visited weekday so I could walk from our room to the beach and stroll along in peace and quiet. I was lucky that our first day it was in the 70's and while having a cup of coffee on the patio, we saw a whale.

I was not comfortable driving the golf cart so I walked from our room to the lobby. I liked the suggestion cards by the staff with their thoughts on things to do in the area. There was also coffee 24/7 in the lobby which worked for me. (They also had coffee in our room but I liked the walk to the lobby for coffee)

It was a great place to relax and enjoy the views of the ocean. Because of the preservation of the dunes, I got a chance to see native plants coming back.

I talked to aother guest who came back every year because of the service and quality of the rooms and because it was like the best kept secret.

Did I mention - quiet! It was like I had rented a villa in the south of France.

Room Tip: I don't guarantee you will see a whale but I did like the the room with ocean view.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Guest tell me at least once a week that I should move my office up to the bluff where the rooms are. This of course after I reveal to them that I have yet to see a whale from the shore. The fact that you could see one from the patio of your room with coffee in hand , is a part of what this place truly special. It happens often here; though we never ask it of the animals... They are after all at home.

Your review was a delight to read. I'm so glad that you had an amazing time. Thank you for leaving the comments that you did. I have come to understand that having your own golf cart is not for some, but as you said it is an enjoyable walk especially in the brisk mornings here on the peninsula. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed November 1, 2011

this is the most beautiful place we have stayed, in all of our travels.
we come back twice a year.a week in may, and two weeks in september.
both times the weather has been fantastic. we love it, we would not stay any place else.
The staff is excellent, and very pleasent,and accomadateing.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for leaving the wonderfully positive compliments that you did. We appreciate your continued business and have every intention of making your next stay in May as special or even more special than this most recent stay. See you in the new year!!