“Shooting Sports Options Galore”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Manteca Sportsmen Club
Reviewed January 22, 2012

I've been going to the Manteca Sportsmen Club for years, including as a youth and now as an adult and parent. They have continued to add shooting options and it currently offers a varied array of shooting options.

Most recently, I went with 2 of my sons while they were working on this Rifle Shooting merit badge. Once you get the obligatory paperwork filled out and get the safety discussion, you can go immediately to your range of choice. Their outdoor pistol range has a couple of lanes for low caliber rifles and we used them for shooting .22. One of their members was shooting and serving as rangemaster. It was a bit pricey at $8, but not too bad. Adults come in at $15, so if you're coming to shoot be sure you are ready to fully take advantage of your time.

They also have an indoor .22 range that has limited hours, but is one of the few in the area. Once a month, they offer free classes for youth to come and shoot. We took advantage of this and my boys had a great time and learned a lot. They also offer free classes to youth groups, including providing volunteer members to help each youth. My boys attended another class and the member help was invaluable.

About 1.5 years ago, we took our Japanese exchange student there to shoot some trap. I wish they had more trap hours, so be aware of their trap hours. There were a few mechanical difficulties with the thrower, but it functioned mostly well.

They have a high-powered rifle range that is very good and that had many lanes. Their Cowboy action shooting area is unique and looks like a lot of fun. The place was packed one Saturday morning and it was fun to see people dressed up and in character.

I've not used the archery range, so I can't comment on that option or the black powder area. They do not appear to have a skeet option at this time.

Overall, the club is a good option for locals who want to participate in the shooting sports. While the price point can be a bit high, the value is there. They only take cash or check, so be sure to have payment ready as there may not be many ATM options nearby. I'd also recommend bringing your own targets for the .22 range as the standard tan-colored ones they have as part of the fee are sometimes hard to track shooting groups from a distance.

5  Thank BigD_CA