“Accidental Find”

El Sombrero
Ranked #49 of 196 Restaurants in Manhattan Beach
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Here's the thing. We were at Manhattan Beach one evening during our trip, and when hunger struck, we check the map, and headed towards two highly rated restaurants in the area on the Avenue. Nestled in between the two on the same road was El Sombrero, and since we couldn't make a decision with the other two, and thought the place looked interesting, we gave it a shot.
Glad we did. Sure, it looks a bit like a cheap café at first glance, but don't be put off.
A great experience. Friendly, welcoming, attentive staff. Really nice guys! Also liked the way you could see the food being cooked in the kitchen.
...and as for the food? Good solid Mexican food, excellently priced. Don't expect gourmet stuff - this isn't that kind of restaurant. It caters for the hungry customer with quality no-frills dishes.
Brilliant. Fast service too, but never felt rushed.
One of those places that, when you leave, you say; "We really should come back here again". Even though your home is thousands of miles away. :)

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Great little local place for Mexican food in Manhattan Beach. The food is good and the staff is very friendly. The restaurant is located in the heart of downtown so it's very convenient. Don't miss Taco Tuesday.

Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in for quick lunch attentive staffhelpfulwhen asked about alacarte items and ingredients. Food served rapidly. Chips were FRIED tasted great and left no grease spots. Thought they were baked
Salad was so crisp and fresh

Nice lunch. Reasonable cost

Reviewed July 28, 2013

It's a little hole in the wall but it's the best. Their service is top notch. They will refill my chips and drinks just before they are empty. I enjoy visiting because they appear to pan fry their carnitas after it's cooked which gives it some extra flavoring. I've tried buckets of carnitas burritos and this one is addicting. Their red wet sauce and melted cheese is the icing on the cake. Would be nice if they had a juke box for some extra atmosphere but if you're looking for a quiet quality meal, this is the place. Hope this restaurant stays in business for quite some time. I'll be back for sure.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

This super value family friendly place in MB is good, but I thought the Mexican food was average. Perhaps because they have gentrified the food too much away from the authentic Mexican further South. I am not a local and I love the more authentic hole in the wall so perhaps I am not a good judge. Tamales were very average, salsa was not spicy...shrimps taco crispy. Was well received by my dining companion. I would recommend this for a quick sit down meal. Service is great and they aim to please. Food is just not that memorable.