“Fresh food. Generous portions”
Review of El Sombrero

El Sombrero
Ranked #49 of 196 Restaurants in Manhattan Beach
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in for quick lunch attentive staffhelpfulwhen asked about alacarte items and ingredients. Food served rapidly. Chips were FRIED tasted great and left no grease spots. Thought they were baked
Salad was so crisp and fresh

Nice lunch. Reasonable cost

Reviewed July 28, 2013

It's a little hole in the wall but it's the best. Their service is top notch. They will refill my chips and drinks just before they are empty. I enjoy visiting because they appear to pan fry their carnitas after it's cooked which gives it some extra flavoring. I've tried buckets of carnitas burritos and this one is addicting. Their red wet sauce and melted cheese is the icing on the cake. Would be nice if they had a juke box for some extra atmosphere but if you're looking for a quiet quality meal, this is the place. Hope this restaurant stays in business for quite some time. I'll be back for sure.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

This super value family friendly place in MB is good, but I thought the Mexican food was average. Perhaps because they have gentrified the food too much away from the authentic Mexican further South. I am not a local and I love the more authentic hole in the wall so perhaps I am not a good judge. Tamales were very average, salsa was not spicy...shrimps taco crispy. Was well received by my dining companion. I would recommend this for a quick sit down meal. Service is great and they aim to please. Food is just not that memorable.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

This local hole in the wall Mexican place is a must if you find yourself in Manhattan Beach around lunch or dinner. Great salsa, ask for the hot salsa as well, they make it from scratch. Chips could be better but they refill as many times as needed no charge. Great veggie burrito, great tortilla soup, great nachos, great chorizo and eggs! Serve beer and wine too. Just a block up from the beach.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I was craving some good old authentic Mexican Food after being in the South Pacific for over a week. El Sombrero did not disappoint. I had an Ala Carte plate of Carnitas Taco, Chili Relleno, and a Pork Tamale. Wow!!! This hit the spot and I ate the whole thing.

My wife had a simple beef taco and loved it. For a touristy type spot, it was amazing!