“I removed the flying termite from my wife's pillow before she saw it”
Review of Wave Hotel

Wave Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Los Angeles
“I removed the flying termite from my wife's pillow before she saw it”
Reviewed January 1, 2011

We just needed a place to crash close to a show we were seeing on New Year's Eve. I saw a flying termite on my wife's pillow, while she was unpacking. If I told her about it, she would have made me drive home that night, so I just threw it in the trash and was quiet. The room is very basic, and I wish we had just driven home instead of crashing at the hotel. The door knob on the bathroom door is about to fall off. The coffee maker was not working well. The heating unit was noisy. If you are desperate, this is the place for you. We got a good rate on Expedia for under $100 for the night.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LosAngelesSushilover

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed October 13, 2010

My family and I had just landed at LAX after 9 hours of flying from the east coast and walked up to the front desk at 3 pm to be told that our room wasn't ready yet, but would be in about 40 minutes. My 17 month old son was in dire need of sleep, and we headed to Target to get necessities while we waited for the room to be ready. When we came back on time, the room was ready, but they had just painted all the doors in the hotel, and we were told that we could go into the room; only we couldn't shut the door as it had just been painted. My wife talked the desk clerk into moving us to a room where the door was dry enough to shut, but it took awhile. Bad business to paint the doors in this manner. I suggested to the manager that they should have painted 50% of the doors in the hotel; so they could still sell rooms that evening, but just got a look like I had no clue what was going on. We were angry before we got into a room, but all was good when we all slept from 5pm to 6am. I would recommend someone tell the maintenance crew what's up concerning what's good for business when you have exhausted guests arriving.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank CriticalWaiter

Travelers are raving about these Manhattan Beach hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 26, 2010

The rooms were large, good breakfast with cereals, yoghurt, fruit and toast/bagels. About 15 min walk to Manhattan beach. Mostly fast-food restaurants around the hotel, but by Manhattan beach are more restaurants to choose from. The area feels safe.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Chicago,IL
Reviewed August 25, 2010

My company had a convention in Long Beach 25 miles away but the convention hotel was $198 plus internet and parking the Wave was $80. This place has large rooms a little dated but you are only sleeping there, shower was good and so was the AC. It even has a small pool in the middle. Our 5 rooms for 3 nights were approximately 1,200 plus tax the convention hotel would have been 2,970 plus all the extras. The savings paid for our 3 fabulous meals out in manhattan beach every night and we walked into town every night and cabbed it back for about 6 bucks and they have an airport shuttle bus. We had people from Italy and Georgia and Illinois no one complained. It used to be a holiday Inn Express and the owner has the Comfort Inn next door, same exact hotel. My buddy stayed there with his son and 4 of his friends thay had a room to hold them all. Plus there is a bad free breakfast.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Pacifica, California
Reviewed July 17, 2010

Took a chance on this one. A former Holiday Inn Express, for $84 for the two of us, with a very large room, very clean, nice bathroom, free overstocked continental breakfast, free newspapers, excellent (very) heated (that's how I like it) pool, with hot tub, and sauna, and two minute drive to the beach right down the hill. Can't complain at all. A good stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, California
Reviewed July 11, 2010

It's no frills, it's inexpensive and gets the job done if you are just looking to crash in Manhattan for the weekend and won't be needing a lot of amenities and as long as your expectations are reasonable,place is fine. It IS a hard/hilly 20 minute walk to the beach, it is not modern, nor ight and airy....but it serves it's purpose and was fine at $80/night. Continental breakfast was fine..standard, hard boiled eggs, yogurts, breads/bagels, juice, coffee and fruits. We didn't use the pool or jacuzzi-but pretty basic looking. Lot's of European travelers it seemed. Shower-fine, bed was comfortable, could use a fridge. Quiet enough, and decent amount of channels. Very dark room-- - great for napping and sleeping in.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travellingbuddymel
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 7, 2010

I am not generally a picky vacationer and for the price did not expect much. We were looking for a place with a pool/hot-tub that was in walking distance to the beach. After reading other reviews I called ahead to make sure the hot-tub was working and that they had a shuttle. The hot-tub was not working when we got there, the shuttle was 20 minutes late, and the air conditioner kept us awake all night. The front desk staff said they would not charge the room until we spoke with the manager. We never spoke with him and a week later we were charged full price for the room. Terrible customer service. Pay the extra 20 bucks and stay somewhere nicer.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
thewavehotel, Manager at Wave Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2010
Hello,
I'm sorry for the problems you encountered during your stay. The whirlpool spa was, in fact, out of order for a few days due to maintenance issues. The repairs were completed in 3 days and it has been up and running since. The hotel shuttle runs to Los Angeles International Airport every hour or upon request starting at 6am until 9pm. At times, there are circusmtances that arise which can cause delays with this schedule. While we are sorry for these delays, many times they are beyond our control (traffic, timing, etc.). I did make an attempt to contact you while you were at the hotel and once again after you had checked out, to discuss the issues, but I was unsuccessful. I'd like to take this opportunity to once again apologize for the situation. Thank you.