“Solid Lunch Choice”

Ranked #27 of 192 Restaurants in Manhattan Beach
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Found place on the DDD web site, and it was wonderful. Interesting menu with many variations on traditional lunch fare. Kalua pig egg rolls were fantastic, and alone are worth the trip back for another meal. Burgers are very nice sized, and served on baguette, instead of normal bun. Service was great. Tables outside on sidewalk are constantly kept clean.

There are newer reviews for North End Caffe

Reviewed November 3, 2013

This always busy neighborhood spot has an ever changing menu but lacks consistent quality. Yesterday for lunch it was jam-packed and my burger was barely edible -- bacon as a garnish that was cooked hours ago, brie cheese that was still cold and an over-cooked, way over-cooked burger that was not appetizing. That with an Alicia sandwich for my friend and 2 sodas came to $37 -- that is silly expensive for mediocre food.

But we loved seeing a neighbor on CHOPPED!

1  Thank MikeLudin
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I can't believe I'm going to be one of the first 3D fans to review this place.

The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. The view is nice, but the food is better. The Kahlua Pig Monte Christo Egg Rolls are a ,mouthful to say, and an even better mouthful to eat. Its unfortunate, but they overshadow the rest of your meal- they are truly unique and tasty. The sauce they come with is nearly perfect. I also had the Short Rib Po Boy, and though it was a nice sandwich, it paled in comparrison to the Egg Rolls. I keep reading about the Carbonara that I might have to swing by again to get some. This place is a perfect pre/post LAX meal. I'm glad to have found it and look forward to getting back. Good job Guy!

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I met a client/friend for breakfast yesterday.

I arrived early and went inside to review the menu before she arrived. When I walked in the front door, the first thing that hit me was the overpowering smell of chemical cleaners. There was no way that I was going to eat a meal with that odor in the air. So we sat at an outdoor table.

I love chilaquiles, so that's what I ordered. The fundamentals were solid (e.g., delicious tortilla chips and a tasty green salsa). However, the overall execution was off. Far too much sauce. The chips were drowning in it. I also thought there was too much cheese (mixture of cheddar and jack, I think), and a lot of it was cold and not melted.

I rarely go to Manhattan Beach. If I were to return I would probably try another restaurant.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We tried North End Cafe, walking in with great expectations based on previews from friends. The food was good, but the overall experience left us unimpressed. Nothing was bad, but nothing was great either. if you're hungry and can't get into the other places nearby, this will do nicely for a brunch.