“Perfect location, loved the hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Sea View Inn at the Beach

The Sea View Inn at the Beach
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Toronto
“Perfect location, loved the hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

My husband and daughter (8 yrs old) and I stayed here for 10 days. We had an apartment for the first 4 days and then, as pre-arranged, once it became available, moved to an executive room so we'd be more comfortable. Both rooms were comfortable and very clean. The apartment (room 507) had a private balcony and nice view out across the street and to the ocean. There was a strong smell of cleaning agent in the room but, we quickly forgot about it once in the room. The kitchen was fully functional and we saved a lot by eating in most mornings and a few evenings. The only issue in this room, being tall (5'10") was the shower head was short for me and I had to get creative to get under it. The beds are very comfortable in this hotel -- this is the ONLY hotel bed (in my 20 years of going to hotels as an adult) that did not give me backache. The executive suite (room 501) was a much nicer layout and just as clean (although no smell this time) -- it had a separate bedroom and a kitchen (although no oven). We prefered this room for its look, bigger nicer bathroom and general comfort. There were even 3 TVs! There was no balcony but we didn't really care as we just left our door open to see outside from our comfy couch. Less of an ocean view from this room.
One recommendation I would make the hotel, which may or may not be possible, is to have a Ralph's membership card so us out-of-country people can benefit from the discount everyone else gets on groceries -- if using a room with a kitchen. We managed to get the sympathies of our clerk on our first visit and he gave it to us anyway (saving us $20) but, the second time we went, that did not happen and we had to pay the full price, quite a difference. It seems both grocery stores (Ralph's and Vons) had membership cards for US residents only. The hotel could collect the points and customers would benefit from borrowing the discount card. Just an idea!
As you will read in other reviews, this hotel is situated on Highland Ave and is 4 "hills" up from the beach. It's a nice walk down (and back up) and the boardwalk and beach are fantastic. Of all the neighbourhoods we visited in LA, this was by far our favourite in terms of: feel, look, cost, friendliness, safety, amenities available. Highland is busy but, we slept with our windows open and the noise died down and wasn't noticeable in the night. We did have some trouble with noisy neighbours above us. I had read the walls are thin but, it was more a case of the floors being thin. The first night, we had to actually complain and the desk must have called them because it did stop. If you're on the top floor, don't let your kids jump off the bed and couch and run round constantly and bounce balls and other toys!!
The Local Yolk is just a few doors down and does make a good breakfast. There is a little Cake Bakeshop across the road that makes cupcakes to die for -- not sure why it's not in the travel books!
The guys on the desk are GREAT! All friendly and very helpful. To be honest, this hotel really felt like home away from home, like staying at a relative's place. Comfortable and very relaxed. Loads of stuff to borrow for free (bikes, boogie boards, buckets and spades, chairs, umbrellas, towels, free internet -- I think (since I didn't use it)), free parking, a quiet pool to use, and a perfect location. We will definitely stay here again if we go back to LA.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank MKimToronto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Hamburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

Manhattan Beach has a endless promenade, a great vibe and I absolutely love the architecture.

The Seaview Inn was a great 4 day start of our three wekk travel up the west coast. Relaxing, jogging at the beach, watching Bootcamp.

The Local Yolk is right next door, thats the breakfast place. Nice.

Staff is very helpful with answering questions and provinding things. Those beach bikes worked well all the way to Redondo Beach.

We did not experience much noise from Highland Ave. Traffic dies down after 10pm.

One minor thing: sleeping under the sheets only turned out to become a little cold at night but we did not feel like using the comforter. Somehow these always feel dusty to me and I treat them as daycover only. On our trip to Vancouver we found that some hotels are already changing to the European style comforters. They would feel very well in this lovely Inn. A great investment in sleep. Maybe next time when we return.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank alstergirl
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

Had a real nice visit to Southern Cali in mid-July and enjoyed the stay at Sea View Inn. This is not a big hotel, though it does encompass a couple buildings about two blocks straight up hill from the beach, about a 10-15 minute walk to Manhattan Beach Pier. This appears to be the closest hotel to the actual sand, so its a great choice if you are headed to the beach or The Strand. The hotel offers a pool (which I saw but did not try), plus free beach towels, chairs, and bikes to enjoy during your stay. I arrived early and grabbed a beach towel for some sun before check-in. When I left, I had five hours to blow after check-out, so I rode one of the bikes for a while along the beach. Relaxing!

The rooms are simple but roomy enough for two. Mine was a single bed at street level. It overlooked the condo next door, but could see the ocean from the window. The street noise was noticeable but not overwhelming. Desk, flat screen, small fridge in closet. Again, simple, but it was a place to retreat after a day in the blazing sun.

Good eats very nearby (across the street and next door), including brekafast, coffee, burgers, and drinks. I have no complaints about the hotel at all. Don't forget to leave the "change my sheets" card on the pillow if you want your sheets changed during your stay. Also, free WiFi and ample parking a big plus.

Will return here if in Manhattan Beach again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank ChiTraveler23
east hills,ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

I stayed for one week and everything was terrific. My room with frig, micro, internet access and ocean view was perfect.The beach is a few steps away and a variety of small restaurants surround the inn. As I was visiting my family,my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter visited me often, loved the pool, and i was able to keep snacks for her in the room.The staff was wonderful and helped me carry kid's stuff to and from my room daily..No need for a car as everything you might want to do is walkable and there is even a bus that runs along the main road.This is my third stay and I can't wait to come back.Thanks to James, Alex and Jimmy for all your help and attention!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank suzannejj
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

The Sea View Inn was absolutely wonderful! The view and the beach were the best. Relaxed on the beach and rode the complimentary bikes all over town. Went to a concert and the Inn was fabulous about providing cab transportation back and forth for us! Could not have asked for a better place to stay!

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lynnluke
Palmetto, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

Great location. Pleasant staff. Have stayed in a number of different rooms including the Penthouse. Worthwhile for LA location. Only disappointment was couldn't get a room there weekend of July 18/19.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Wallylarry
valparaiso,indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

Beware of the low end rooms priced at $135.00 a night. The first night we stayed here I noticed the bed had quite a large area where water had leaked from the room above onto the bed. The staff immediately found and corrected the problem and comped us one nights stay for our trouble. We reserved what this property called a "standard room". They were absolutely correct by using the term standard, although I will call it substandard by experience and for what I paid. The room was quiet small and uncomfortable. Our view out the window was a fence that seperated the hotel property from the adjacent house. The hotel is locted on a busy street (HIghland Ave.) so traffic noise is present. There are delux rooms available here at a delux price which for what I seen seemed much better than the rooms we had, going for over $200.00 a night.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Hi View Inn & Suites
Hi View Inn & Suites
#5 of 9 in Manhattan Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 218 reviews

Been to The Sea View Inn at the Beach? Share your experiences!