“Sea View- Hang With the Locals”

The Sea View Inn at the Beach
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Reviewed April 13, 2009

I visit L.A. often for work and could stay anywhere on the company dime. I stay here because I dont feel like a tourist- I'm hanging out with the locals, jogging on the strand a mere three blocks away, or checking out the activity on Manhattan Beach Blvd (a 10-15 minute walk). Rooms 400- 404 are the best value in all of southern CA and have side balcony ocean views. The executive rooms in the #500 range are also great. Where else can you get a two room condo for less than $250 in this area??? There's a great local pizza joint (Manhattan Beach Pizza) and a cute little grocery store right there, not to mention a solid breakfast place (The Local Yolk) two doors down. James and his staff are the best and are ALWAYS accomodating and friendly. You want to be treated like a tourist and pay tourist rates? Go to the Four Seasons. You want to hang out and enjoy the local atmosphere of Manhattan Beach? Stay here.

Bob B., Napa, CA

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Napafit

Reviewed March 30, 2009

We are a mom and dad and teenager who needed a room with two beds for one night while visiting a college in the area. We had room 8 . Our room was $150.00, and booked over the internet. The good: location near the beach, clean, boogie boards, sand pails and bikes to check out. Bed was comfortable. Flat Screen TV. Had a fun dinner at the pizza parlor across the street. The bad: tiny window faced the back alley. We were in a sort of back annex to the rear of the rather cute little stone decked pool. This place has at least four different buildings on four corners of 34th and Highland . I think the variety of experiences in these reviews has a lot to do with which room you end up in. So I recommend making a reservation by phone and asking lots of questions. If we had had a room with a balcony looking at the ocean (not too sure if they have rooms with two beds that have a view...) we would have had a better time. If the DIRECT TV had not had scrambled channels so we could not watch the NCAA tournament or the Lakers game we would have had a better time. Also, the Direct TV channels we could watch faded in and out of color and clarity. Our room was quiet regarding street noise although we could hear our neighbors through the wall.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Fanomatic
seaviewinn, GM at The Sea View Inn at the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2009

Thank you for your review.
We always ask guest to make reservation by phone so we can get you a room of your liking. As ALL other hotels, you have rooms with out views and this is why we suggest to make reservation over the phone knowing what you have reserved.

Regards to televisions and channels, this is why as of 4/1/09 I have switched to Time Warner Cable for our hotel. Directv is good for residential, but business not. We now have close to 100 channels and plenty for all who may stay with us.
Hope to see you again,

Reviewed March 30, 2009

My son and I traveled to Manhattan beach for Spring break, very excited to stay so close to the beach at what seemed online to be a great place. The manager was super nice when we booked a couple of weeks ago and even upgraded our room for no extra charge. When we arrived they put us in a room near the pool, it all looked good, until we opened the door and were assulted by the overwhelming odor of extreme mold and mildew. We immediately asked to be moved (they did apologize about the smell, citing some problem with that whole building), but told us that all the rooms were booked except one that was more expensive than the one I booked, they wouldn't give me that one, so there was nothing they could do and we could leave and they wouldn't charge us (gee thanks!) I'm from Colorado, I had no idea where to go, or if I'd be able to find a room during Spring Break week. The only saving grace is that the desk clerk felt so bad that when I asked him to help me find a new place, he did. It wasn't close to the beach but at least we didn't have to sleep in our rental car! I would have thought management would have at least contacted me to apologize, they did not. What a bummer!

Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank djwinco

During a conversation with this guest before making a reservation, she informed me of not being able to afford anything but a standard room at $130. Being sold out of all standard rooms and asking for 2 beds which our standards only have one queen bed, I wanted to help the guest and put them in a deluxe normally at $150 and left at the rate of $130 this time. I also advised her possibly having a apartment with kitchenette if I didn't sell I would put her and her son in but she would get the deluxe upgrade no matter which she was very excited.
Upon checking in, the apartment was sold for 4 days and I was not able to give her, but as I mentioned able to upgrade her to the 2 bed deluxe room I also mention. She was not happy at all and wanted the apartment or nothing. Because of this, she wanted to leave and we still called other hotels off the beach and was to accommodate their stay.

It's really to bad you try and help someone and this is what you get in return.

Best regards,

Reviewed March 21, 2009

My family and i love this hotel and have stayed in it a few times. It is in an excellent location, right next to the Local York which do great breakfasts and only a 2 minute walk to the beach. The staff are very hospitable, kind and friendy and give great advice on days out etc. The hotel rooms are clean and have everything you need. We personally love the penthouse as you have a great view of the beach. Tip top hotel!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank lauralove5uk
Reviewed January 27, 2009

I stayed there the first week in January and the weather was perfect so we were able to lounge by the well cared for pool on some great lounge chairs. The room was neat and clean. I would have loved an iron and ironing board, as well as a dryer in the room, but no biggie, they brought them to the room when asked. We rode bikes which were easy to check out and we used their beach towels as well. I wish the walls were a little thicker, but the location and service were great. It was a great little weekend get-a-way.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank kburkeSanFrancisco
seaviewinn, GM at The Sea View Inn at the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2009

Thank you for staying at the Sea View Inn and your comments!
Hope to see you once again,

Reviewed January 27, 2009

We stayed at the Sea View Inn in January, 2008. We had a conference at LAX, and loathed the thought of spending so much money for an airport hotel.

We discovered that the Sea View Inn was only 10 minutes away from our conference, so booked a room.

Upon arrival, we were given the best standard room they had available. It had a little balcony overlooking the street, but with a beautiful view of the ocean. The room was clean, cute, and had a little refrigerator which was a bonus. There was a darling pool in a courtyard within the complex and its location was fantastic.

We were within a block of the best breakfast restaurant I have ever been to--"The Local Yolk". As well, we were within a block or two of a Sports Bar, an upscale fine continental dining restaurant, and were a block from the beach.

In all, our stay was fantastic. We had one little mishap. The clothing rod in our closet fell down when I put my hanging bag on it. They quickly repaired it and gave us a $50 discount on our room stay due to the inconvenience.

I loved this little hotel. It brought back memories of little motel/hotels where I used to stay in the 50's, with personal service, people who cared, and great service.
When in LA, I will always stay in Manhattan Beach at the Sea View Inn. I prefer it over many 4 star hotels--and love the price!

Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank madamrich
seaviewinn, GM at The Sea View Inn at the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2009

It's always a pleasure meeting new people expanding our Family at the Sea View Inn.

Until next time and "Thank You" again,

Reviewed December 5, 2008

The location is great, but there it ends.......

We used the room as an adjunct bedroom when visiting family in Manhattan Beach. I found it passable, but just barely. To their credit, the rooms were clean, but aging -- some mold visible in the grouting in the shower. The beds were well-used - somewhat lumpy and the sheets were old and pilled.

There were no dressers; only a drawer in the nightstand.

The room was a nice size and did have a flat screen tv, and plenty of hot water, but overall, I'd have to say, this is a rather sad little place. When we registered a complaint (I had been told we would have a room not directly on the street) the clerk's response was "the cancellation policy is two weeks notice" Translation: you're stuck and we don't care if you're not happy.

In all fairness, I have to say that the room was quiet, but I thought this place was lackluster, at best. We will be in Manhattan Beach often, but won't return to the Sea View Inn.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank worldcurious
seaviewinn, GM at The Sea View Inn at the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2008

Thank you for your response, but as 99.9% of ALL our guest would say we treat everyone as Family and nothing less.
With your comment, "You can't cancel and it doesn't matter otherwise", is so far fetched it's incredible.
I do remember this reservation and you wanted to be off the street, but wanted an ocean view which you finally reserved.
For our bedding, all these items are new this year and we only get compliments on our mattresses and how comfortable they are constantly from our guest even to the point asking what the manufacturer so they may purchase.
Happy Holiday's!

#1 of 7 in Hermosa Beach
Hotel Hermosa
Hotel Hermosa
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to The Sea View Inn at the Beach? Share your experiences!