We stayed at the Sea View Inn for 5 night in April and were very disappointed. The location was convenient as we were visiting family in Manhattan Beach, but that was the best thing about the hotel. When we made our reservation we reserved a Penthouse room, but when we got the confirmation the person taking the reservation had booked the room for the wrong month. When we called back that room was not available for our dates, and we were booked into an Executive Room, which is listed on the website as having two bedrooms. This room does NOT have 2 bedrooms, it has one separate bedroom, and an alcove off the living room with a bed in it with no way to close it off from the living area. We asked about changing to another room, as we wanted 2 separate bedrooms, but were told there we no other options available.
Convenient location - near the airport and a short walk to the beach. Not very near to the main shopping and restaurant areas, but a few good places to eat nearby.
Free use of beach stuff and bikes
- Our room was DIRTY when we arrived. When we had been in our room for about 30 minutes I looked at my daughter's feet and noticed they were completely black with dirt on the bottoms, as were mine and my husbands. Not just a little dust from the beach, but filthy! We told to front desk about this in the morning and I heard him ask the cleaning folks to scrub the floors well in our room. Unfortunately, they did not clean the floors, and we had to complain again the next day about the same problem. The second time it seemed as if they had moped the floors, but had probably not used soap, as they were slightly cleaner, but our feet were still quite dirty after only a few minutes in our room. The person working at the desk tried to say some dirt should be expected as we were at the beach, however, having stayed at many hotels near, and on, beaches, I have never experienced such dirty floors. We had to wash our feet multiple times a day. This also made me think that if this is how the "clean" the floors, then their other cleaning was likely sub-par as well, so I felt like I had to clean all the counters in our room on a daily basis - not something I want to do when on vacation. We gave up complaining about the floors and general cleanliness as it felt like it wasn't going to get any better no matter what we said.
- Shabby rooms, the rooms are in need of an update. It is easy to see how some simple upgrades could really improve the appearance of the rooms, but right now they seem shabby. The furniture is cheap and very worn, and the linens seemed clean but worn. The pillows are flat and worn as well.
-Poor amenities - we had a room with a full kitchen, and while coffee was provided (in a plastic tub in the fridge, so no telling how long it had been there), there was no sugar or creamer, or tea. Seems like it wouldn't take much to provide these little amenities, since even a Hampton Inn offers this. For a room designed to sleep up to six, there were only 4 of each kind of towel. No glasses or cups in the bathroom - had to take them from the kitchen. Again, for a room that seems to be for up to six, only 4 glasses provided for the whole room.
-Front desk staff not knowledgeable about the area. I asked for dinner ideas on a few occasions and got poor recommendations. I was told I could go to a few of the places within a couple of block of the hotel, but when I asked for recommendations of places with a view of the water, or a bit nicer than the local places I was not given any recommendations, one person sort of shrugged his shoulders and seemed annoyed that I was looking for assistance with this. There was also no information in the rooms about any of the local restaurants. One guy told me that Sloopy's was great for dinner - good for lunch, but not really a nice dinner place in my opinion. I asked specifically about a nicer place for a friend and I to have a "girl's night" dinner at - Sloopy's is a breakfast and sandwich shop, not really what we were looking for.
- Dirty pool area, the pool area and chairs there were very dirty. Doesn't seem like it would take a lot to hose down the chairs once in a while and to keep the ground clean, but we experienced the dirty feet issue again, and when my daughter sat on one of the chairs she got up and had blacks streaks of dirt all over her. I also ended up with dirt all over my shorts from sitting in another chair.
-Value for money, our room was $225/night. I have stayed in hotels all over the country and the world, and live in Boston, where things are not exactly cheap. For this price I expected a bit more for my money. At least to the standards of an average hotel, however, I feel like $50-75 less per night would have been a more appropriate price for the room we were in, even factoring in the location.
All in all, it just felt like the management didn't really care much about if we were happy or not. There were a number of other small issues that were ignored or not followed through on, lots of carelessness and lack of customer service. If you are looking for a place with proximity to the beach and don't mind shabby and dirty then this place might work for you. However, I would rather have been a bit further from the beach and been in a clean hotel where the staff was helpful. Next time we go we will look elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Sea View Inn At The Beach is an intimate seaside hotel located just blocks from the Beach. And is the closet hotel to the sandy beaches and panoramic views of Manhattan Beach. The Sea View offers casual comfort, modern conveniences and features a "live like a local" atmosphere. Dine at local eateries, stroll eclectic shops or borrow one of our beach cruisers and cruise the beachfront bike path and enjoy the ocean views. Or relax and swim in our heated Outdoor Pool. We offer FREE Parking, Wifi, Bikes, Beach Towels, Beach Chairs, Beach Umbrella's & Beach Toys for the Kids. The Sea View Inn is located just minutes (3 miles) away from Los Angeles Airport,(LAX), 35 Minutes to Disneyland, 40 minutes to Universal Studios, 25 minutes to Downtown Los Angeles, and 30 minutes to Hollywood. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your The Sea View Inn at the Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sea View Inn At The Beach Hotel Manhattan Beach
- Sea View Hotel
- Sea View Manhattan Beach