New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Boston, Massachusetts
“Below average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at the Sea View Inn for 5 night in April and were very disappointed. The location was convenient as we were visiting family in Manhattan Beach, but that was the best thing about the hotel. When we made our reservation we reserved a Penthouse room, but when we got the confirmation the person taking the reservation had booked the room for the wrong month. When we called back that room was not available for our dates, and we were booked into an Executive Room, which is listed on the website as having two bedrooms. This room does NOT have 2 bedrooms, it has one separate bedroom, and an alcove off the living room with a bed in it with no way to close it off from the living area. We asked about changing to another room, as we wanted 2 separate bedrooms, but were told there we no other options available.

Pros:
Convenient location - near the airport and a short walk to the beach. Not very near to the main shopping and restaurant areas, but a few good places to eat nearby.
Free parking
Free use of beach stuff and bikes

Cons:
- Our room was DIRTY when we arrived. When we had been in our room for about 30 minutes I looked at my daughter's feet and noticed they were completely black with dirt on the bottoms, as were mine and my husbands. Not just a little dust from the beach, but filthy! We told to front desk about this in the morning and I heard him ask the cleaning folks to scrub the floors well in our room. Unfortunately, they did not clean the floors, and we had to complain again the next day about the same problem. The second time it seemed as if they had moped the floors, but had probably not used soap, as they were slightly cleaner, but our feet were still quite dirty after only a few minutes in our room. The person working at the desk tried to say some dirt should be expected as we were at the beach, however, having stayed at many hotels near, and on, beaches, I have never experienced such dirty floors. We had to wash our feet multiple times a day. This also made me think that if this is how the "clean" the floors, then their other cleaning was likely sub-par as well, so I felt like I had to clean all the counters in our room on a daily basis - not something I want to do when on vacation. We gave up complaining about the floors and general cleanliness as it felt like it wasn't going to get any better no matter what we said.
- Shabby rooms, the rooms are in need of an update. It is easy to see how some simple upgrades could really improve the appearance of the rooms, but right now they seem shabby. The furniture is cheap and very worn, and the linens seemed clean but worn. The pillows are flat and worn as well.
-Poor amenities - we had a room with a full kitchen, and while coffee was provided (in a plastic tub in the fridge, so no telling how long it had been there), there was no sugar or creamer, or tea. Seems like it wouldn't take much to provide these little amenities, since even a Hampton Inn offers this. For a room designed to sleep up to six, there were only 4 of each kind of towel. No glasses or cups in the bathroom - had to take them from the kitchen. Again, for a room that seems to be for up to six, only 4 glasses provided for the whole room.
-Front desk staff not knowledgeable about the area. I asked for dinner ideas on a few occasions and got poor recommendations. I was told I could go to a few of the places within a couple of block of the hotel, but when I asked for recommendations of places with a view of the water, or a bit nicer than the local places I was not given any recommendations, one person sort of shrugged his shoulders and seemed annoyed that I was looking for assistance with this. There was also no information in the rooms about any of the local restaurants. One guy told me that Sloopy's was great for dinner - good for lunch, but not really a nice dinner place in my opinion. I asked specifically about a nicer place for a friend and I to have a "girl's night" dinner at - Sloopy's is a breakfast and sandwich shop, not really what we were looking for.
- Dirty pool area, the pool area and chairs there were very dirty. Doesn't seem like it would take a lot to hose down the chairs once in a while and to keep the ground clean, but we experienced the dirty feet issue again, and when my daughter sat on one of the chairs she got up and had blacks streaks of dirt all over her. I also ended up with dirt all over my shorts from sitting in another chair.
-Value for money, our room was $225/night. I have stayed in hotels all over the country and the world, and live in Boston, where things are not exactly cheap. For this price I expected a bit more for my money. At least to the standards of an average hotel, however, I feel like $50-75 less per night would have been a more appropriate price for the room we were in, even factoring in the location.

All in all, it just felt like the management didn't really care much about if we were happy or not. There were a number of other small issues that were ignored or not followed through on, lots of carelessness and lack of customer service. If you are looking for a place with proximity to the beach and don't mind shabby and dirty then this place might work for you. However, I would rather have been a bit further from the beach and been in a clean hotel where the staff was helpful. Next time we go we will look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask specifically about whether bedrooms are separated by walls and doors, my in-laws b...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
5 Thank jbren7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Fort Worth, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I loved Manhattan Beach and this hotel was very convenient to the beach, shopping and restaurants. It's only 20 minutes to LAX. My room was perfect for one person. They do have other spacious rooms for couples and families. I will stay there again!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 102. It's just right for one person. Had a balcony that faced the street. Not n...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank lovetoshop56
bakersfield, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

The Sea View Inn was a pleasant vacation. Booked last minute. Great place to stay. Very clean and spacious. Reasonally priced. Easy access to the beach. Friendly staff. Bakery, market and pizza joint across the street. There are bikes, beach chairs, umbrellas, beach towels and sand toys available to guest. I would highly recommend this to any family looking for a great vacation spot. Beach is very clean. Also there is a walking path and separate bike/roller skate path.

Room Tip: we reserved an execituve room. Kids said the pool was heated.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank suerod9999
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Clean and convenient hotel in manhattan beach. Rooms are small especially the bathroom.
Service was good and staff was friendly. Chose hotel for it's location. The street noise was loud and there was not a lot of room to put your clothes. Bathroom sink was very small and inconvenient. Also there was no coffee maker. In the room.

Room Tip: Get an oceanfront room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mel1953
Noosa, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The sea view inn was an incredible surprise, this stay was a last minute decision the night before flying out from L.A.X We were welcomed at reception by the most friendly staff I have ever encountered at any hotel.
The staff went to every length to make us comfortable, this included allowing us to check out at midnight the following night so we did not have to wait at the airport, This was at no charge and even offered us fresh towels and a clean room!!
The rooms are enormous and spotless, filled with natural light,very quiet and ocean views at a great price. manhattan beach is such a great safe community and the sea view inn is in the heart of all the great cafes and restaurants.The hotel also offers free bikes and the access to the beach is extremely easy. I cannot speak highly enough about this hotel and will most certainly be back.
We would like to thank the sea view inn so much for looking after us and wish you all the best.

Room Tip: At the back of the property which is higher on the hill gives better views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank loggins422
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Wife and I stayed for the last night of our trip from Australia. Great spot really close to the beaches and was a great base for exploring the beach/Culver area.

Some good spots to eat within walking distance and even more within a short drive.

We only had one night in town and didn't opt for an ocean view room but were just as happy with the room we got as we spent our time exploring the view in person as it's so close by and easy to get to. Seems like great value prices all round, but especially the rate we got.

The staff couldn't be more accommodating and were very helpful with local recommendations and all. Friendly smiles and great hospitality.

Top it off with parking and WiFi and we're very glad to finish our US experience here. Highly recommended

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank richbroau
birmingham, michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My wife and I had the good fortune to live in the Sand Section of Manhattan Beach for 5 years in the mid-90's. We have returned annually and generally stay in the better rooms West of Highland for a week at a time. The place has the feel of living in the neighborhood, with great access to the beach, the bike trails, walk streets and great north end restaurants. The staff is very accommodating and rate is an excellent value. Stay and enjoy!

Room Tip: We like the luxury rooms west of Highland, upper floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi View Inn & Suites
Hi View Inn & Suites
#5 of 9 in Manhattan Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 203 reviews

Been to The Sea View Inn at the Beach? Share your experiences!