“Good Hotel”

Manhattan Beach Marriott
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Reviewed December 3, 2013

This hotel is nice. The room was very nice and the hotel has a golf course behind it. The view overlooking the golf course is gorgeous. There are alot of restaurants in walking distance. The negatives were 1. You have to pay for parking 2. WiFi is not free ($12.95/day).

Jeff H, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Very happy to hear that you had a good stay at the Manhattan Beach Marriott! Looking forward to seeing you back in the near future.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Avoid this hotel. As a platinum member, I got the worst room. Imagine what they will do to a non platinum member. Room was super loud due to issue with kitchen ventilation near by. Manager promised 25000 points, but that never happened. Avoid this place at all cost.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nazmin A

Thank you for your candid response regarding the room type you were given on your last visit. As a Platinum Member your business is greatly valued and your loyalty is appreciated. I do apologize for the room that you were given on this particular visit. I would like to ensure that the points promised are applied to your account. If you could message me off-line with your full name and rewards number, I will take care of this immediately.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

This hotel was very disappointing. Upon arrival, the lobby seats were extremely dirty. The outside seating was also dirty. This hotel needs a remodel or to clean up that lobby area. The concierge was very knowledgable and helpful. I got the run around about the room, received a view of the parking lot instead of golf view room. Maybe they're savoring those rooms because the hotel didn't appear to be full. We kept getting different stories as to why no room with a view of the golf course. The staff seems to do a lot of standing around watching television on the lobby floor. The rooms were nothing special but clean. Good housekeeping service in the room. It's close to the airport but I expected better for the price. The food was fair (appetizers) but this hotel was quite disappointing.

I would not stay again. I would not recommend this hotel. I must give them a 1 rating.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sharon557

I truly value your feedback and appreciate the time you took to complete the review on your recent stay. I would like to know more about your stay so that I can have a better understanding of what occurred and will reach out to you off-line to discuss this further.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Stayed here for a business trip. The positives are the proximity to LAX, the restaurant, and the friendliness of the staff. The negatives were the unusable wifi (dial-up would have been quicker) and the cost of parking. Rooms were nothing special, TV picture was terrible. I'd stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ibeplato

Thank you for your observations of the Manhattan Beach Marriott and taking the time to review the property. Our location and proximity to great restaurants, airport, beach and shopping venues is truly a plus to staying with us. I am very happy to inform you that the hotel is in the process of upgrading the internet infrastructure in the hotel and should have this complete by mid January. In addition - HD equipment is being installed over the next couple of weeks so that all of our guests can enjoy in room entertainment at the highest level. I hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future so that you can experience these new upgrades to our property.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

We had 3 very pleasant nights at the Manhattan Beach Marriott. We spent two days at the Breeders Cup at Santa Anita, and while this hotel was bit of a hike to and from the track each day, it was less than one mile from our friends' home (who were joining us at the races both days.)

The hotel is very convenient to LAX, as well as the many shopping centers, supermarkets, restaurants in the area. There are actually two supermarkets within walking distance from the hotel, the Bristol Farms market was particularly nice.

We arrived about 6 PM on a Thursday night and were able to take advantage of the Concierge Lounge for snacks, desserts, and a glass of wine (which you do pay for.) The food was good and plentiful. On Friday morning, we also had the hot breakfast in the lounge, which once again was great. Eggs, bacon, sausage, oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, granola, pastries, etc. On Saturday and Sunday mornings, the lounge was open for breakfast only, although it was continental style (no hot foods, except for oatmeal.) As usual, there were plenty of free daily newspapers available, plus of course, bottled water, soda, coffee, tea.

The front desk clerk who checked us in was extremely friendly and helpful, as was the Bell Desk team. The lobby is large and attractive - typical of most full service Marriott's. We did have drinks one evening at the lobby bar, where service was attentive.

Our King Bed room was large and clean. We weren't in it much, so the most critical thing for us was the comfortable bed and good shower pressure. The room décor was just okay, we both felt it looked a little tired. We were staying on Cat 4 certificates (booked before the hotel went to a Cat 5) so our 3 nights were free - except for the parking fee. None of the other Marriott properties in the area (except right next to the airport) charge a parking fee. I found it just silly to charge $21. To be honest, we probably could have easily parked in the adjacent shopping center parking lot, but since we were staying for free - we paid the fee.

We didn't use the pool or gym, but they both looked nice. We did go jogging on a great wood chip trail through Manhattan Beach and along their strand (the boardwalk along the ocean.) Very nice!

If the parking fee was eliminated, I would most likely stay here again and recommend it to others.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Glad to hear that you had a nice and relaxing stay! I appreciate your comments regarding our friendly staff as that is our most valued asset. We hope to see you again the next time you visit the area.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Just returned from 5 nights at this great hotel. It was our second visit. Upon entering the hotel, you are greeted by a warm and welcoming lobby environment. So California! Our room was lovely -- overlooking the golf course. Couldn't ask for a nicer vista. Beds were comfortable and the room actually had drawers where we could unpack our clothing. So many hotels don't have this very basic necessity. The breakfast food is a bit expensive, but the setting both indoors and out is so pleasant. My family loved the pool and the surrounding area. The staff were friendly and helpful. If we return to Los Angeles, we will surely stay again in this great hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely choose a room with the golf course view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 6, 2013

The Manhattan Beach Marriott is sort of a misnomer, as it is not really close to the beach. In fact, it is likely on the outer most-skirts of Manhattan Beach, closer to Lawndale than the beach. Located in a somewhat industrial type setting, it is fairly close to Fry’s Electronics, and an entertainment complex of sorts is within walking distance which includes a McCormick & Schmicks and Arclight Theater.

Despite it’s semi-industrial and corporate location parking is a shocking $18 night.

Upon entering the hotel from the self-parking garage, after passing a number of ballrooms the front desk is located to the right. Check-in was efficient. All Marriott Platinum amenities were clearly explained, including the fact that the Concierge Lounge was actually open for breakfast on the weekends. I inquired about the weekend hours, but apparently the lounge is only open for breakfast. As the lounge was closed when I checked-in, I was given several bottles of water.

I was given a room on the Concierge Lounge level with a room overlooking the hotel’s Executive Par 3 Golf Course. A somewhat pleasant surprise for a hotel in this area to have its own golf course, even if it is a pitch and putt course.

Upon entering the room, the bathroom is on the right. There is a single sink with ample counter space. There are Bath & Body Works toiletries, which are slightly better than hotel branded products.

There is a shower/tub combo with good water pressure and temperature.

The bedroom is fairly spacious with plenty of space to maneuver around the two beds in the room. Unfortunately, outlets are not conveniently located next to either bed. The beds are somewhat firm and slightly uncomfortable for my taste.

There is a wooden dresser with a flat screen TV on it. Although channels are somewhat limited, there are enough options to pass the time.

The desk is on the smaller size, and has the “under desk” that seems to be a fixture in many of Marriott’s properties. Although it does “expand” the size and work area of the desk, this does not seem very convenient for me when I am working. Although I do like a lot of desk space, the configuration of this set up does not work for me.

The coffee maker was placed on the desk, which made the working space even tighter.

There is a small sitting area in the corner, which probably does not get much use except for people using it to hang their clothes or place their suitcase on the chair.

Although Marriott now has a policy of having the Concierge Lounge open in many of their properties on the weekend for breakfast, I did not have a chance to visit the lounge on this visit.

If given the option, I would almost always choose to have breakfast in the restaurant rather than a lounge.

The Manhattan Beach Marriott is a clean, comfortable hotel located fairly close to the airport. I had a pleasant stay here, but wish the parking fee was a little lower.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
#2 of 9 in Manhattan Beach
Hotel Hermosa
Hotel Hermosa
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to Manhattan Beach Marriott? Share your experiences!