“Very good, but please start paying attention to details”

Manhattan Beach Marriott
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
San Diego, California
“Very good, but please start paying attention to details”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Let me say that I almost always stay at this Marriott when in the area and am a Marriott Rewards Gold member, so I travel quite a bit and feel more than qualified to raise these issues. The convenient location and the golf course are great perks to this hotel. However, recently I've noticed niggling little things at this hotel that are inexcusable for the price you pay.

Examples are having only one elevator working at a time (this seems to be a chronic condition), leaking shower doors - I just about flooded my bathroom last week, nice high-definition TVs in the rooms but no HD service and no power outlets for recharging phones by the bed. I checked in last week in time to watch the first game of the world series and lo and behold, there is no Fox channel available on the TV? A truly annoying issue is that you cannot check out via the TV (the on-screen check-out function just does not work) and are forced to do so at the front desk. However, in the morning, there is only one person on duty at the front desk, so checking out quickly is close to impossible. Finally, $21 per day for self parking??? Give me a break.

Like I said, I love the location and the general quality of the hotel is quite good, but the value proposition is not there. Please fix the issues I've mentioned and don't allow these types of things to persisit.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank DA445
Jeff H, Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
I really appreciate your feedback, thank you for staying with us. I'm sending you a private message as well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Smithtown, New York
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying here while on vacation. It was not that far from the LAX Airport, maybe 20 minutes. My room was very clean and I had a comfortable sleep every and every night. The golf course was beautiful and fun to play. The 5 minute drive to the beach was awesome. I relaxed in the pool and hot tub, and found time to work out in a spacious exercise room. I had room service on many occasions. The food at the restaurant downstairs (same as the room service) was by far some of the best food I have had at a hotel. My complements to the chef on preparing a fantastic menu that delighted me each time I tried something new. The price of the food was acceptable to me; I felt that my money was well spent. It was not dirt cheap, but if you want cheap food then go to any fast food establishment. You want quality food without stepping outside the hotel grounds? Then call room service or take a seat at the indoor or outdoor seating areas. You will not be disappointed. Every employee I came in contact with at the Marriott treated me with the upmost respect and dignity that a guest deserves. If I had to bring a down side to this review, I would comment on two things. I would like to see free WI-FI on the entire grounds of the hotel (except the golf course). I have been to many other hotels in my travels, and have not had to pay for WI-FI on the hotel grounds. And I don't believe it is fair to make guests of the hotel pay to park their vehicle on the hotel's property. If those two things don't bother you, next time you need to stay at the Manhattan Beach Marriott.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Jeff H, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
I enjoyed reading your review, thank you for staying at the Manhattan Beach Marriott and for sharing your experience. I'll be sure to tell our chef how much you enjoyed the food. We've recently introduced new menu options. Thanks for your honest feedback about the wifi and parking. I hope that you'll stay with us again.
Minneapolis
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Except for my room not being ready when I arrived (well before the 3pm check-in time I should add) this stay at the MB Marriott was flawless. I stay here frequently on business and have always been impressed by the friendliness and efficiency of ALL the staff from bellman to club level concierges to some of the best front desk staff I've come across. However I have had mixed feelings about room comfort. Although they promise my pet peeve (no full length mirrors in the rooms) will be taken care of in an upcoming renovation, I've never had a visit that I could give 5*. This time I did. My room on the club level had a balcony and view of the golf course. I'm fully aware that this was one of the premier rooms in the hotel, and it made a difference. Bed linens were comfortable and crisp, towels were plentiful and room was clean and well maintained. In addition Raina, the host in the club lounge is one of the most helpful and friendly hosts I've ever encountered - helping me get wifi (even though I had no room number) and providing a guest room for me to change clothes while my room was being readied. Room service was prompt, well prepared and felt like fair value. Check-in and check out were quick and easy. The location is great - near the airport and walking distance to a shopping center (Manhattan Village) a local supermarket and restaurants and of course a view of the golf course. The gym and pool are a bit on the small side but cover what's needed. Looking forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on back side with view of golf course are nice.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jeff H, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for rating it a perfect stay. I'm glad you enjoyed your gold course view and am looking forward to welcoming you back.
West Babylon, New York
Reviewed October 8, 2013

A wonderful hotel! Staff and location are great! Jairo, the bartender, couldn't have been more helpful! Will def. be back. The hotel is very clean and updated. The breakfast there is really great! Being close to the beach is a definite plus.......

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank debbiep817
Jeff H, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
I'm delighted that you had a wonderful stay, thanks to our dedicated staff, delicious dining options, and convenient proximity to the beach and other great LA attractions. I hope you were able to take advantage of our 9 hole golf course while you were here as well. Thank you for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. - Jeff
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Nice hotel however our gifts were taken by the maid either by accident or on purpose and so far the hotel have done nothing about it after it was reported when we checked out, also emails have been ignored. The gifts only totalled $60 dollars, i will update you if they do anything !!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeff H, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I'm very dismayed to hear about your missing belongings, and I am sending you a private message right now so I can personally follow up. - Jeff
nj
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Last night in town so needed a place close to the airport. New beautiful hotel quietly located close to LAX. Nice room upgrade, club had taco night. Staff was friendly and all was well.
Short stay gets a short review but deserves the highest compliment for a job well done

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Jeff H, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thanks for the quick review! I'm happy to hear that you had a short but sweet stay with us. In addition to our wonderful amenities like our 9-hole golf course, we are conveniently located close to the beach and many more of the best attractions that Los Angeles has to offer. I hope we can welcome you back for a more extended stay in the future - Jeff
phoenix
Reviewed October 2, 2013

The area is great! Your close to the beach and many restaurants! My wife was lost on her way back from Disneyland and a staff member helped her get back to the hotel so they go the extra mile to help! The only thing that I could think that needs updated is the carpet in the hotel. I will return to the hotel for another stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Jeff H, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
I'm delighted to hear that our wonderful staff could help your wife navigate the roadways of Los Angeles. Likewise, I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of the beach from our convenient location. Thank you for your feedback, and we look forward to your next visit. - Jeff