“Recognizing excellence”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Hemet, California
“Recognizing excellence”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I had a wonderful stay due to the excellent service I received from the staff. In this time where mediocrity prevails, I believe it is important to recognize Excellence. Danielle, Rolando & Glen Roy all in the Executive Lounge worked at warp speed to keep up with the deluge of guests coming & going on the weekend. I believe they do need an extra pair of hands. They do it all with a smile & reassurance that the guest's request will be met ASAP. Rafael, at the Front Desk expedited the refrigerator needed for medication as well as other needs. Deria Lucera of the housekeeping staff was special in that when I requested no service she immediately volunteered to find out what needed to be resupplied in my room. She reminded me that service would be available later if I changed my mind. She could have just accepted the opportunity to have one less room to clean but instead made herself available for an additional task. As guests it is important that we acknowledge the efforts of the staff if we wish to receive excellence in the future. It is also just a nice gesture to show appreciation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Jeff H, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your heartfelt review. We are very proud of all the hard work from our wonderful staff, and I love to hear anecdotes from our guests who appreciate it as much as we do. Your compliments will not go unheard, and I hope we have another opportunity to impress you in the future. - Jeff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Hotel looks like it was recently renovated. Rooms are nice and clean and staff friendly. The hotel bar is lacking in ambiance as it is more an extension of the lobby. I really don't understand in this day and age and at this price point, why hotels still charge for wifi, especially when some of the lower brands of the Marriott chain provides it complimentary. It's also pretty pricey for location and given the fact that all other amenities are additional charges.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back have better views with some greenery.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank trang h
Jeff H, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and I hope you were able to enjoy our free WiFi in the Lobby. We hope to see you again on a future trip to Los Angeles. - Jeff
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We had a one night business stopover in this area. The Hotel has seen better days, it was servicable for what it was. A 3+ star at best struggling to retain it former days of grandeur. I image it was a fantastic place place 20yrs ago. Lobby area nice, rooms dated and ordinary, Fine as a corporate stopover.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. I hope you will return for another layover with us in the future. Safe travels. - Jeff
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Although we had Marriott platinum elite, we received no room upgrade and no refrigerator in room (and a lack of willingness from the front desk to help us find a way to refrigerate our food overnight). Also- the walls are not sound-proof so could hear the couple next door unfortunately. We were deciding between Manhattan Beach Marriott and Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel and wished we had stayed at the Renaissance.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank FamilyofFour2013
Jeff H, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your concerns. I apologize that we were not able to deliver the upgrades and amenities which you deserve. I will be sending you a private message so we can discuss this matter further.
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I really like this Marriott. When I lived in Hermosa Beach my friends and I used to come to the lobby bar after work for drinks and the service was always wonderful. Returning as a guest now that I no longer live in the area, I still love the hotel for it's convenient location (close to tons of restaurants, shopping, and a short trip to beach), nice rooms (loved our golf course view) and again, the service. All the staff members that we interacted with were exceptional! My mom & I stayed here just one night in June and the front desk, bartender at the lobby bar and the valet were all wonderful, friendly, and accommodating. Cory at valet (although he said his title was "customer service..." something) was especially helpful, assisting us in jumping our rental car when the battery died-- thank you!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for coming back to visit us again. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and will pass your compliments on to Cory. All of us at Marriott are passionate about hospitality and we hope to see you again soon.
Clayton, Indiana
Reviewed July 8, 2013

As a professional pilot I spend a great deal of time on the road. This is convenient location to LAX however they choose not to run an airport shuttle, a taxi costs about $20. There are plenty of good restaurants all within three blocks and are more suitable to walk than ride in a car. The beach is about 1-2 miles away good to walk or run to. Caught the city bus in front of the hotel for $1. Stayed too late at a speak easy at Hermosa Beach and caught a taxi back for $10. They have a par 3 golf course on the property. Played it three times. This is a good hotel!

Room Tip: Overlook the golf course on the back side.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jeff H, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Many of our guests do not realize how close we are to LAX, so I'm very happy to hear that you chose to stay with us. We're proud to serve as a convenient airport hotel while also maintaining a beautiful golf course for our guests, and I'm delighted to hear that you made the most of it! I hope you will stay with us again for another relaxing layover in Los Angeles.
Danville, California
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have some positives for this hotel; the rooms are comfortable and clean, the breakfast in the dining room is quite good, and the staff is friendly and willing to help. The frustration for us was being assigned a room that was actually a utility closest for housekeeping--no really--the front desk wasn't aware that the room was not for guests. Once we were assigned a real guest room (you know--with a bed, not a bucket and a mop...),we found that the remote was out of batteries, one of the lamps was flickering on and off, etc., Everything was fixed, but I prefer to have things working upon arrival...though I guess I should be happy we got an actual bedroom... Anyway, because of this room debacle, they authorized us for the free Club Breakfast on the 7th floor, but when we got there, the room didn't have many tables to start with, and it was very crowded, so there was no place to sit. Since this "upgrade" was not meant to accommodate many people, we ended up down in the hotel restaurant, which had a delicious breakfast but definitely was not free. So, if all of the above appeals to you then, Badda-Bing!, you have found your hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for an actual bedroom, and stay away from rooms near the ice machines.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jeff H, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It’s unfortunate that this happened to you and I understand why you would feel so frustrated. I am glad to hear that our wonderful staff was able to work with you to attempt to resolve these issues, however, I am sending you a private message in order to follow up.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manhattan Beach
Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach
Hotel Hermosa
Hotel Hermosa
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to Manhattan Beach Marriott? Share your experiences!