“Under construction but holding up”

Manhattan Beach Marriott
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Reviewed October 4, 2012

When flying out of LAX on a morning flight, I often attempt to try to fins a hotel reasonably close to the airport. I didn't know about "Carmaggedon", the planned closure of the 405 during this time, but when I found out I was happy I had made the decision to stay close. The location of the hotel is good because it is close to the airport. However, the hotel is on a main street that makes it feel somewhat commercial and puts it out of reach of an easy stroll to the beach. Marriott is in the process of a major renovation; the rooms are completed but the front lobby and breakfast areas have't been finished. God news are the rooms are clean and comfortable if somewhat basic. I did't experience the poise issue some reviewers have had. Breakfast is included and there was a good selection of breakfast foods. Given that you are in L.A., I was happy with the decision to stay here and the price/value equation made sense.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed twice on the same vacation. We had arranged fro some freight to be delivered to the hotel. The staff went out of their way to make sure we were happy.
The location is really good for us . lots of nice restaurants within easy walking distance. We will definitely be back to stay.

Room Tip: Golf course view rooms are of benefit.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I booked a night there to take my daughter and two friends to celebrate her 10th birthday. We only live 15 minutes away.The customer service started with reservations Rafael who helped upgrade immediately (I am platinum) to the corner suite with a giant balconey (I think balconey would be more desirable with a table chairs an umbrella..hint hint). Upon check in I told Sarah at the front desk about the celebration and they sent to our room cookies, apple cider and a card signed by the front desk to my daughter. SO CUTE!! She was so excited. I had also asked for three robes and three sets of slippers which they supplied no problem along with a microwave and a refrigerator.
Valet and bell service were so friendly and outgoing. I took the girls immediately to the pool with tons of towels available water and a few fun water toys including a giant beach ball that the girls loved. We were able to get into one of their complimentary cabanas. The only downfall would be that besides the cabanas there was not additonal shade not even umbrellas. Poolside service was great and very punctual.
That evening the girls had a blast in the spacious room. My only little complaint would be that the bathroom for this room be a little larger and with a tub or even two bathrooms. We asked for a rollaway which was brought in 10 minutes. We did have a noise complaint (knock on the wall) which front desk and securtiy handled very politically correct by asking neighbors not to knock and we moved to bedroom portion and they did explain to neighbors that it was a birthday for a 10 year little girl.
In the morning we ordered room service and we had a little confusion about my room package and breakfast but as the guest/customer they accomadated what I thought was included. It was very punctual and made two additonal trips to our room for extra items. I did order the breakfast burritto which was HUGE!
We and I (alone with 3 girls) very comfortable here and the entire staff seemed to help be in on the birthday celebration and knew about the celebration. For such a large hotel it did seem quite small and all staff seemed happy to be there an happy to help out. I am sure a few others will
follow in my footsteps. It is not a resort but definitely a very clean comfortable warm environment and with the golf course did not feel like you were in a city at all.

Room Tip: Corner room with the balconey (and once they add the table and umbrella it will be amazing).
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at this hotel more than once, work-related. From September 9-11 and from September 14-17 2012, we stayed there during our vacation in California. Although the hotel is more used for business travellers, we were happy to be there. Situated just a short bike-ride (bikes for rent at hotel) from Manhattan Beach, practically on a golfcourse (9 holes, a very relaxed way of playing golf) it was a perfect place to start from every day. We used the pool every day. It was small but o.k. The rooms were, Marriott Standard, ok, and clean. The last days we had a room with a balcony, which really made a difference. To have the possibility to sit outside, golfplace view, and have your glass of wine, was o.k. The only thing we missed, was a mini-bar! You could get refreshments and ice though, in the corridor.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a balcony. Most of the rooms with gardenview (=golf) have a balcony, but not on...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Many of the previous views are correct in saying that this hotel could use some updating in a lot of areas. Overall everything is in order and the hotel is clean. However, if you're used to staying at a lot of the other upper level Marriott properties, this one may be a step down.
But, I think the price is also a little lower than those hotels so you make a few tradeoffs.

The cab ride from LAX is less than 10 minutes so it's very convenient to stay here before heading out on a trip.

The most desirable rooms are those that face the golf course. With the large balcony, it's a great place to relax at the end of the day.

I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. Due to being here for a conference I was able to be in many of the conference areas and they were all updated and comfortable.

Although there are certainly much nicer properties in the area, if I were in Los Angeles I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 7, 2012

First of all, my thank you to the staff at the Manhattan Beach Marriott. They were quite accomodating and pleasant. The excellent staff boosted my 1 star rating to a 2 star.

Beyond that...the hotel needs an uipdate. Bad spells around the property. Popcorn ceilings. Smaller rooms.

I'd stay somehwere else next visit, unless an update to the building occurrred.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank cranberryAli
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stayed here with my family over the Labor Day weekend. Everyone we dealt with at the valet, to check in and the restaurant were very polite and helpful. We arrived quite early and they were able to give us a room. I strongly suggest however that you request a room facing the gulf course. Our room was overlooking an upper level parking lot, but because we got an early check in we didn't try to switch.

The lobby is very open with a nice and bright atmosphere. Scattered on tables are games of tic tac toe and dominos, which were fun for my kids. The pool area could use a facelift. I suggest filling in the cracks in the cement and adding umbrellas to the chair area opposite the cabanas. Also, the mural by the jacuzzi is beautiful but several large pieces were missing and should be fixed. There was waiter service at the pool. You can use the phone so you don't have to walk all the way into the restaurant. Water temperature was perfect for us--warm enough to swim in for a long time, but still on the refreshing side. The pool area is open until 11 pm which is nice because we like to use the spa in the evening.

The rooms were clean and comfortable. If you need a refrigerator you have to call and ask for one. Our room had a shower but no bath. The beds and pillows were comfortable.

All in all a very pleasant stay and would not hesitate to visit again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the golf course. Also ask for a refrigerator if you need one.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
#2 of 9 in Manhattan Beach
Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
#1 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to Manhattan Beach Marriott? Share your experiences!