“Nice hotel again”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Columbus, OH
“Nice hotel again”
Reviewed March 28, 2011

We spent two nights in Room 723 – Concierge Level (were upgraded because of Platinum Elite status), but this room had a parking lot view, not the nice golf course view, which is seen from even numbered rooms. We used to stay here once or twice a year since about 2000, but we stopped staying here in 2008 because the rooms had become shabby & not well maintained. So, we opted to stay at a newer nearby hotel instead during our 2009-2010 visits. Because of a last minute change in plans & the low price we were able to get the day before arrival, we decided to stay once again at this Marriott. Our expectations were low, because I read on Trip Advisor that the hotel is under renovation. Happily, there was no evidence of this – no construction dust anywhere. Our room was probably one of the renovated ones, since the carpet & upholstery looked clean & new & the furniture was not nicked (as we had in previous rooms there). Room 723 is a nice, large, comfortable room with very good lighting. The bathroom is nothing special – large enough to move around comfortably. The sink has a large countertop, which is always appreciated. The bathroom light is on motion sensors, so it will turn on when you walk in; but it also has an automatic shut-off. Thus, if you are in the shower, you can suddenly find yourself in the dark. You will have to wave your hands or shake the shower curtain or call for your roommate to turn the light back on. There was one annoying flaw in our room – the doorstop is mounted on the floor just in front of the closet door. We inadvertently stepped on it & twisted our foot every blessed time we needed something from the closet. (We wear soft slippers, so it was painful). It’s a really poor design. The front desk staff was very friendly & helpful. The housekeeping staff was very nice & concerned (asking if there’s anything they can do for you when you pass them in the corridor). The valet parking team was friendly & very efficient. This is definitely a hotel that aims to please. We have usually stayed here over a weekend, and there always seems to be some conference going on in the lobby area. This weekend was no exception.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Souris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed March 8, 2011

From check in to check out my stay couldn't have been better. After checking in I got a high floor room, facing the city, I couldn't have had a better stay at this hotel! After reading all the negatives, I didn't find any major faults! One minor and I do mean minor is the limited room service menu! However I did order the Manhattan Beach Salad and Spicy Chicken appetizer so good!

I had room service breakfast every day of my stay and it was good! I loved the Good Start one because you get a lot for your buck! And they were more than happy to leave off the cream for my tea, add apple juice and cranberry juice! I loved the mini continental breakfast on my last day! They do have a breakfast buffet but I can't each that much food!

My bed and pillows were awesomely great! Wish the pillows weren't so feathery but more firm! The room was quiet and the LG TV big screen was awesome! The roll out desk is awesome because you have the ability to have a table in your room big enough to actually work off of! The bathroom was good however the fan and the lights stay on the whole time, so that is a bit annoying, however the shower head is great and the no slip bottom is nice, it gives you a better sense of footing in the bath tub!

The hotel staff was awesome, friendly and nice! Always with a good morning and a good afternoon and evening! Everything was awesome! Thank you to the staff of the Marriott on Parkview Drive! My stay was wonderful!

Thank you!

Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Michele95409
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 20, 2011

stayed with a long-lost childhood friend for the weekend. picked up my friend at the LAX which is conveniently close, we had breakfast and toured the town and shopping is next door..though we do not play golf, just looking at green expanse of the hotel's golf course is very calming, we checked out the pool which was tucked away at the back. amidst our stories, we enjoyed the hotel amenities, had dinner at the restaurant - all up a perfect place to catch up with longtime friends.!

Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jetaime1984
Seattle
Reviewed December 31, 2010

We needed over night accommodations for 2adults, our teenager and my mom, a senior.
Delighted in our selection of MB Marriott. Reviews had me concerned but our rate was amazing so got 2 rooms. Mom & teen shared the adjoining room with 2 F beds while hubby & I took the K room. Rooms were newly refurbished, including the beds, as I saw old ones being removed and end of hall. Spacious room. Yes they do charge for in room wifi but it's available in lobby. We travel with our own hotspot, so not an issue , but could be an annoyance. Would have preferred 2 sinks, but our room and not Mom's, included a magnifying mirror. I love those! No coffee machine. I walked next door to Bristol Farms for Peets. Husband used the workout facility and pool and said they were good. Had towels, water, TV, and working gym stuff.
We parked in the garage, a little walk, but fine. New modern lobby. Noticed bikes and assume were avail for rent at entry.
2 rooms less than $200, clean, no hassle....touchdown! ( would certainly stay there again)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
MBMarriott, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, January 3, 2011
Thank you so much for staying with us. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your experience with us and I thank you for your feedback. We look forward to the next time you are able to visit Manhattan Beach in the future. If I can do anything special for you please do not hesistae to contact me.
janice.vandesteeg@marriott.com
Global
Reviewed December 12, 2010

Nice staff... NICER than usual.

Hotels felt pretty "no frills."

Why are there no full length mirrors in the room?
No wireless in the rooms --- speaks to the "updating" needed
I was told I would have a view of the city --- it did not happen

Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
MBMarriott, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, December 28, 2010
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your comments. Wanted to share with you that we will be having a renovation of the hotel in 2011 to include a complete guest bathroom renovation and an upgrade to our wired internet and the installation of wireless internet. With the renovation of these two items we are confident it will make us the premier hotel product in the South Bay. We look forward to welcoming you back following the renovation.
honeygetaway
Reviewed December 6, 2010

I had business function to attend for Friday night. The hotel is located in a nice area with shoppong and close to LAX.

During my stay, the staff was very friendly and warm; all the way from valet, maid and staff. Two days after leaving, I called lost and found because I thought I might have left my shoes behind. You see, I was in a hurry and didn't check all areas of the room before leaving. So I was transferred to lost and found where a nice person answered the phone. I told them what I was looking for my shoes and I was in room 412. This person was nice enough to say, I'm passing that area now, let me check for the shoes. To my surprise I did leave behind my shoes and and another item behind. Now I was just interested in the shoes and the other item I left behind on purpose. I was very surprised that both items were returned to lost and found and marked with my room number. I want to say a great big thank you to the maid who returned the item to lost and found, I'm sure this is not an easy thing to do with a busy day and all those rooms to make. I also want to say thank you to Augie the person from lost and found who answered the phone and took the time to look in the lost and found items. I know that people might say, yes, let me look and they probably don't. But Augie, I know you did because you found my shoes.

So thank you to the Marriott hotel for going the extra mile for the hotel guest!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Robert G
MBMarriott, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, December 8, 2010
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your wonderful comments on the team. We will be sure to recognize Auggie at our next all associate celebration luncheon with a Spirit to Serve award. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again very soon.
Warm regards
Arizona
Reviewed October 7, 2010

I had a one day conference by the airport and wanted to be close without having to stay at an airport hotel. I wanted to be by Redondo or Santa Monica but the rates were well above the budget I was given by my company. I settled for the Manhattan Beach Marriott as it was in my budget and just two miles from the airport. I did have to get a taxi. They recommend Roadrunner but I had a bit of a wait and a driver who did not know where the hotel was. Very nice man but said he was new. No big deal.

The hotel is impressive with a big lobby and entrance and a beautiful view out the back of the hotel overlooking a golf course and pool. The hotel is located just behind some offices and nice restaurants. The carpets were what dated the hotel the most. Overall the hotel looked a bit shabby and needs some paint and new carpeting. My room was the same. Carpet was actually stained in the entry. However, I got a great nights sleep on a great Marriott bed.

The best part of my short one night stay was the trip to Manhattan Beach. I had a friend pick me up and we had dinner at Panchos by the beach. Really great atmosphere and food. A little pricey but huge portions. We then headed over to the beach/town area and enjoyed Friday night shopping and ice cream. Truly the best part of this hotel is the close proximity of a very nice and fun area to be in. Not sure if I would stay there again unless I had to for business but would defintely head straight to the beach if I did.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business