“Excellent Hotel”
Review of The Belamar Hotel

The Belamar Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stayed here back in 2011, but I still remembered how great the hotel was. The decor was very chic, place was clean, hotel staff was great, free bike rental to go to the beach, and the l'occitane toiletries given was a big plus.

I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 29, 2013

From the reviews I read ahead of time, this hotel appeared to be right in my wheelhouse--a small boutique with unique style, great value and great location. Overall, it delivered. I loved the proximity and ease of coming and going to neighborhoods near and far. I frequented the restaurant at least once a day--usually twice--and very much enjoyed their selection of food and wine. The pool area was very relaxing, with unique design features including beautiful tile, an unexpected wooden fireplace, and a warehouse-like "roof" that was mostly open to a view of the sky and trees. There were only a handful of little things that bothered me--and none would prevent me from visiting again. I faced the courtyard, which was nice and quiet, but the courtyard lighting streamed into my room at night (I solved this by placing linens around the patio door). The pool area was clean and well-kept, except that it ran out of towels almost every day. One other thing that I suspect was just a rare error--there was a discrepancy between the rate in my reservation confirmation and the amount billed at checkout. I went over the issue with a manager who kindly and quickly resolved the matter but it may be prudent to double-check your rate at check-in and your bill at checkout. All in all, I had a very comfortable stay. The local knowledge and friendliness of the staff, particularly the restaurant personnel and valets, really stood out at this hotel.

Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 26, 2013

The good stuff about The Belamar:

1. Very close and easy to find from LAX (even after a long flight with jet lag)
2. Good road links to the Beaches, Santa Monica etc.
3. Hotel is 1960's retro "funky" design which I like - a lot
4. Breakfast is fine, simple and filling
5. Front desk staff and dinning staff are enthusiastic and helpful

Things I didn't like:

1. We had a courtyard view with a balcony which means you are about 80 yards from a buys highway (PCH East)
2. You have to drive to get anywhere because the Hotel is about a 30 minute walk from Manhattan Beach
3. The room cleaner forgot to empty our trash and recycle bins (which were overflowing) and hadn't vacuumed the floor (although she claimed she had)....

I would definitely stay again because the hotel is easily accessible by car and despite the negatives it is more than adequate. But I wouldn't rank the hotel as a "destination" in its own right.

Room Tip: It seems like the courtyard rooms have more road noise, albeit with a nice view of the balcony. I di...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed there for a long weekend during the Manhattan Beach Volleyball Open.
Beautiful modern clean hotel. friendly service. Good Second Story Restaurant.
Safe and reasonably price parking. very conveniently located close to LAX

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I booked here for our anniversay and I would not recommend this hotel for any special occasion. It's a good place for a regular to stay but not if you're expecting something beyond that. We tried to check in at 3Pm and again at 4:30PM were told that our room was still not ready despite their asking housekeeping hours earlier to clean it. They gave us a different room, one overlooking a Mobil gas station on a noisy street. The restaurant has no ambience, although the food is very good, the noise level was so loud we had to yell at each other across the table. Doubt we'll be back. We loved it when it was the old Barnaby's; now the quality is quite lower. Oh, and the beach is a good two mile hike one way!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jayne R
Norm S, General Manager at The Belamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear Jayne R.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. It is very important to us that each of our guests leave the Belamar very delighted. To hear that your experience was anything less than a delight is a very serious matter to us all here. I have shared your concerns with the entire team and I am confident that going forward your challenges will not recur. I hope that when you are in the area again you will give us another try. I am sure that if you do, you will find this last experience was an anomaly and not the standard. Please feel free to contact me directly when the time comes so that I might personally ensure your stay is wonderful!

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We traveled for business. The hotel is OK, but nothing more. The first floor rooms are not quite up to date and the hotel is located 20 minutes walk from the beach. A destination ok for a person who fly from LAX in early morning.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stayed here recently as part of a work trip as it was close to the office (and also the airport).

It has a good location for LAX, but is way too expensive ($250+) for what it is. Rooms are average, road noise is intrusive.

Valet parking is a joke - they park the car and then you have to wait 10 mins to get it back when you could be in it in under 30 seconds.......and the overnight parking charge is not good $10.

Breakfast is good, and good value ($14.50) but avoid the toasters.......I think I'd still be there now waiting!

The rooms are OK, just a bit outdated and dark......

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear UUF361,

Guest feedback is very important to us, as it allows us to constantly evaluate our product, service and operations and make changes when necessary. I have shared your experience with our staff and departments to make sure that the appropriate steps are taken to enhance future guest experience at the Belamar. Thank you for being our guest and providing us with the feedback on your recent stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Manhattan Beach
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach
Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
#1 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to The Belamar Hotel? Share your experiences!