“Not Very Special” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Fullerton, California
“Not Very Special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I booked here for our anniversay and I would not recommend this hotel for any special occasion. It's a good place for a regular to stay but not if you're expecting something beyond that. We tried to check in at 3Pm and again at 4:30PM were told that our room was still not ready despite their asking housekeeping hours earlier to clean it. They gave us a different room, one overlooking a Mobil gas station on a noisy street. The restaurant has no ambience, although the food is very good, the noise level was so loud we had to yell at each other across the table. Doubt we'll be back. We loved it when it was the old Barnaby's; now the quality is quite lower. Oh, and the beach is a good two mile hike one way!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jayne R
Norm S, General Manager at The Belamar Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Jayne R.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. It is very important to us that each of our guests leave the Belamar very delighted. To hear that your experience was anything less than a delight is a very serious matter to us all here. I have shared your concerns with the entire team and I am confident that going forward your challenges will not recur. I hope that when you are in the area again you will give us another try. I am sure that if you do, you will find this last experience was an anomaly and not the standard. Please feel free to contact me directly when the time comes so that I might personally ensure your stay is wonderful!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

We traveled for business. The hotel is OK, but nothing more. The first floor rooms are not quite up to date and the hotel is located 20 minutes walk from the beach. A destination ok for a person who fly from LAX in early morning.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Crawley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stayed here recently as part of a work trip as it was close to the office (and also the airport).

It has a good location for LAX, but is way too expensive ($250+) for what it is. Rooms are average, road noise is intrusive.

Valet parking is a joke - they park the car and then you have to wait 10 mins to get it back when you could be in it in under 30 seconds.......and the overnight parking charge is not good $10.

Breakfast is good, and good value ($14.50) but avoid the toasters.......I think I'd still be there now waiting!

The rooms are OK, just a bit outdated and dark......

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear UUF361,

Guest feedback is very important to us, as it allows us to constantly evaluate our product, service and operations and make changes when necessary. I have shared your experience with our staff and departments to make sure that the appropriate steps are taken to enhance future guest experience at the Belamar. Thank you for being our guest and providing us with the feedback on your recent stay.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

My husband had a business trip that I tagged along for in Manhattan Beach. His company booked this beautiful hotel for us and we just loved it. Super cute decor, great front desk staff, wonderful valet, and amazing restaurant with a fantastic happy hour.

Actually, while my husband was doing work things I dined alone in the restaurant (amazing blackened chicken salad) and after my meal I started reading the book the server used to present the check (super cute idea) and these ladies asked me to move since they needed a round table. Without hesitation I took the book and moved. The servers were shocked, probably because every other table was empty, and apologized like crazy. Even the Chef came out asking to buy me a appetizer and drink to make up for this. I didn't take them up on their offer, but appreciated their concern. Honestly, I just wish I could remember what book that was I started reading! It was so good!

I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Thanks for a great weekend Belamar!

• Stayed August 2013
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We came across this hotel while planning a weekend getaway and are presently surprised.
The hotel staff really tries hard to accommodate every guest needs and exceed expectations.
The rooms are spacious and clean, staff has a friendly attitude and the food offered at their Second Story restaurant is excellent!
The hotel is located just 1.5 miles from the beach and to top the cake: they welcome pets!
We highly recommend it and for sure will go back for another weekend getaway.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

The room is spacious and that is the one real plus of this hotel, plus the fact that the TV flat screen is a big one but i did not try it. As for the rest, we were truly disappointed especially after reading all the comments on this site.

The hotel is located on an extremely busy boulevard which obviously creates a constant traffic noise night and day.

Both bed and pillow were truly hard, to such an extent that we did not sleep well.
Amenities in the bathroom were really on the cheap side and there was only one bath robe provided for 2 guests!

The truly bad surprise was breakfast; in fact not totally a surprise as the dinner we had there on the previous evening was bad (read my separate review). Expresso coffee is extra charge, jam only grape (the cheapest!), boiled eggs we ordered soft came truly hard, Danish were dry etc.

And one thing management should tell to (part of) the staff: you do not address clients as "you guys" especially when they have grey hair!

Room Tip: Far from the boulevard
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HGBParis
Norm S, General Manager at The Belamar Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Hello HGBParis,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your past visit to Second Story and I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations. We truly value your opinion as we always strive to provide positive experiences for all our guests as you can see from our past reviews. Your comments have been reviewed with our management team and are being addressed with our staff. Thanks again and I hope that you will be willing to try us again in the future so that you can experience Second Story the way many others have.
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Just returned from a quick stay at this surprisingly overachieving boutique hotel. Location was less than 15 minutes from LAX..great after a long flight from China. At first glance it appeared to be a refurbished motel of the super8/motel 6 model. Upon entering I was pleasantly surprised. Everything clean, bright and airy. Check in took less than 5 minutes by a very friendly associate. All questions were answered and a recommendation to eat at the "award winning" hotel restaurant was offered.

The room itself, was slightly larger than a standard king room. Wifi was complimentary with the provided access code. Air con worked fine and not noisy. Bed was as comfy as any Hilton or Marriot I have been in. Old style shower/bath combo, but pressure and temperature were fine. Everything clean and in working order.

We decided to try the hotel restaurant since we were tired. What a surprise that was! Being Sunday, happy hour is all day, so $4 draught beers (Stella included) and other specials. The food was incredibly presented and delicious. The heirloom tomato burata caprese with chili oil was the highlight of my express Asia trip. My colleagues all were very impressed with their meals (mussels, fish tacos, panini, pasta and steak) and the over the top service. Prices were extremely reasonable. The check is brought inside a book..a quirky but different way of presentation. Would definitely eat here again.

Location is perfect. Beach right around the corner. Across the street was a Whole Foods and a Costco World Market in the el Segundo Village as well as numerous other shops and restaurants.

Whenever in this area, I would not think twice about staying here again. Friendly, efficient service, great restaurant and very reasonably priced. The biggest plus was that there was no LA pretentiousness! Great Stay!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
#4 of 9 in Manhattan Beach
Hotel Hermosa
Hotel Hermosa
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to The Belamar Hotel? Share your experiences!