“Horrible Experience”
Review of The Belamar Hotel

The Belamar Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Our experience was horrible. When we arrived to check in our room wasn't ready even though it was 10:30 pm. We were offered free dessert at the restaurant for waiting but were then told that a minute later that the restaurant was closed. When we finally got to our room there was a rollaway bed in the middle of the room that didn't belong. As we were starting to unwind a staff member came unannounced and removed the rollaway bed. We called the front desk to see what time the hot tub closed and the staff member said that it was already closed but that an exception would be made for us because of the wait. When we arrived at the hot tub we found that the gate was locked. We went to the front desk and talked with the same staff member that we had talked to earlier. She said that the maintenance crew had the key that that they had already gone home. In the morning we went to breakfast before we checked out. The restaurant was filthy. All of the tables were dirty and the service we received was horrible. This was by far the worst experience we have ever had at any hotel. For the price we paid I definitely expected a lot more. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank bosoxfan812
Norm S, General Manager at The Belamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear Bosoxfan812,

Thank you for informing us about your recent experience at the Belamar Hotel.

I truly apologize for the inconvenience during your recent stay with us. Based on your comments, I am disappointed that you had a less than favorable stay at our hotel. I can certainly understand how you would have been disappointed with the unusual items that you experienced.

As you can see from our other comments we work hard to please every guest and we are sorry that we did not properly handle your stay with us. Your comments were shared with our staff team so that we can handle these types of situations more efficiently.

I do hope you give us another chance and come back soon to enjoy the Belamar experience as it should be.

Best regards and thank you again for keeping us informed. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I had my wedding at The Belamar. They had great customer service and were very accommodating to our requests and ensured that our wedding was a great success. The food at the wedding and the restaurant on site is excellent (try the macaroni and cheese!)! Their staff is super nice and attentive. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and chic. I would highly suggest to stay here!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights in June having been recommended by a colleague. The decor is retro in style but it's modern retro; with some quirky attributes. The reception area's welcoming and it's a nice touch to have a different fruit flavoured water on offer to help yourself to each day. The staff were friendly and helpful. The decor of the bedrooms was very nice, stylish and comfortable. We didn't have time to enjoy or discover other areas of the hotel, the restaurant and outside terrace area for instance and they have a gym too though I didn't have a chance to see or use it. Set in a quiet, residential area it's a nice but a good 20-25 min walk down into Manhattan Beach. I'd defnitely go back and I'd definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: When we stayed there must have been a family with older kids as they were quite noisy in the next ro...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Norm S, General Manager at The Belamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Jacqui K,

We are so glad you loved staying at the Belamar! Thank you for choosing our hotel and I have shared your comments with the entire staff this morning and we are all very appreciative. We look forward to seeing you soon. You’re Going to Love it at the Belamar!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We travel to the LA rather frequently and stay in different neighborhoods. This time we were looking for a new spot close to our daughter in Manhattan Beach. While at first I was skeptical about staying at a property right off the busy Sepulveda Boulevard, upon arrival my concerns were quickly alleviated. What a nice job the hotel has done to make the hotel a lovely respite from the LA traffic and malls. We had a spacious room on the top floor with a small balcony overlooking the palm treed courtyard. Inside the room we did not hear any street noises nor did we hear any noise from other rooms. The bed was very comfortable with nice linens and the room immaculately clean. The bathroom, while not large, featured a marble counter top and a powerful shower. I also love when a property provides a coffee maker as The Belamar does.
Be sure to check out the first class restaurant housed in the hotel. Again I was skeptical about the restaurant's quality despite its number 1 ranking on Trip Advisor for Manhattan Beach restaurants. The first afternoon we were there we had appetizers and cocktails during the happy hour. Very creative and yummy dishes and tasty drinks as well as a good wine list. Breakfast did not disappoint either. We booked the room with the breakfast included (I'd recommend doing this). In addition to quite a large and varied buffet, breakfast comes with a freshly prepared entree. Ours were delicious.
Service at every level was high quality. The front desk sped us through check-in and check-out, the housekeeping staff we encountered were always pleasant, and the wait staff in the restaurant were attentive and friendly.
This hotel is a great value. I'd recommend this hotel to LAX travelers who want to be close to the airport but not in one of those cookie cutter high rise hotels right by the airport. I'd also encourage others who want to see more of the LA than just the usual tourist spots. Downtown Manhattan Beach, which is a very short drive away and walkable from the hotel down a winding path through a lovely residential area, is a charming beach community with one of the nicest and cleanest beaches you'll find in the Southern California area. And if you do want to wander to our parts of LA you are near major streets and the interstates that can get you there. We were easily able to access spots we wanted to visit.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are definitely preferable.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RockyMountaintravel
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed at The Belamar on a quick business trip to LA. For my needs, it was perfect.... clean, nicely appointed rooms, friendly staff, in a quiet setting. The hotel is an older property, but has seen a nice upgrade in the mid 2000's. From the furnishings and linens, to the carpet and drapes...its seems a complete overhaul has taken place and they've done a nice job bringing things up to par. The one tell tale sign that this is an older property - is the tub and plumbing. Though they've obviously refinished the older tub - the tub in my unit had some cracking and peeling occurring on the bottom. The tub faucet and drain also showed signs of wear. This was nothing I would have complained about.... just stating that this was the main sign I could see that this was a refurbished property. The bed was EXTREMELY comfortable. My only real complaint is that, for a business traveler, I could not find enough open electrical sockets to cover my needs... phone.. computer... Ipad. I had to move furniture to get to several sockets and most were already occupied by lamps, television, or the alarm clock. This could be solved by an easy install of a power strip device in the desk area. I would suggest to management that more comfortable seating be offered on the individual patios. It would have proved an excellent space to work or read - but the wooden chairs were not very inviting. CUSHIONS are a glorious thing - maybe some actual patio furniture?? Otherwise - the front desk and valet service was excellent. I had appetizers and drinks in the restaurant bar - and service there was friendly and inviting as well. Valet parking is incredibly affordable at $10/day - something not found in LA these days. If you're looking solely for a beach vacation - be prepared to drive or bike to the beach which is 5 minutes away by vehicle... 20 minutes on foot. Overall I found the Belamar a nice property - I will definitely be back on my next business trip to the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Filmchick66
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

This really is an excellent hotel as long as you are not that bothered about being near the beach or the centre of the town as it is a good 20 minute walk away.
We stayed in a junior suite which was massive and very clean and had a very comfy bed! We asked for a quieter room as we had read on here that some rooms are noisy which now I understand why. It is right nice to a very very busy 3/4 lanes road and if you were unfortunate to get one of the rooms near this then it could be a problem. But we had a suite overlooking the courtyard which was great. Breakfast was marvellous and we also had dinner in the restaurant which was again extremely good. The staff were very pleasant and overall, despite its location, it is a very good hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
Norm S, General Manager at The Belamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear MAK100,

Thank you for staying with us and it looks like you were able to enjoy breakfast and dinner in our Second Story Restaurant, the #1 rated restaurant in Manhattan Beach. The next time your travels bring you back to the Belamar Hotel, we do have bike rentals available where you can enjoy a 1.5 mile ride to the beach area. I shared your great comments with our Executive Chef and restaurant staff who were very appreciative. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you soon. You’re Gonna Love it at the Belamar!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

The Belamar is the perfect place to stay for business or pleasure! A jewel of property well taken care of, the staff very friendly and service oriented that you as a guest feel right at a Luxury Home!!

From the moment you pull in on property, you are in for a treat. We have stayed twice, once on business the other on pleasure and the reception just gotten better.

The rooms, linen, housekeeping, cleaning, service and even upper management are there to make the stay worth coming back!

Appreciate the staff, first, for their dedication and commitment to Service and Quality! Thank you to all. Will come back again to stay!!

Room Tip: Any one will provide you with a nice rest!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach
Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
#1 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to The Belamar Hotel? Share your experiences!