“A Welcoming and Well Appointed Hotel”
Review of The Belamar Hotel

The Belamar Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We travel to the LA rather frequently and stay in different neighborhoods. This time we were looking for a new spot close to our daughter in Manhattan Beach. While at first I was skeptical about staying at a property right off the busy Sepulveda Boulevard, upon arrival my concerns were quickly alleviated. What a nice job the hotel has done to make the hotel a lovely respite from the LA traffic and malls. We had a spacious room on the top floor with a small balcony overlooking the palm treed courtyard. Inside the room we did not hear any street noises nor did we hear any noise from other rooms. The bed was very comfortable with nice linens and the room immaculately clean. The bathroom, while not large, featured a marble counter top and a powerful shower. I also love when a property provides a coffee maker as The Belamar does.
Be sure to check out the first class restaurant housed in the hotel. Again I was skeptical about the restaurant's quality despite its number 1 ranking on Trip Advisor for Manhattan Beach restaurants. The first afternoon we were there we had appetizers and cocktails during the happy hour. Very creative and yummy dishes and tasty drinks as well as a good wine list. Breakfast did not disappoint either. We booked the room with the breakfast included (I'd recommend doing this). In addition to quite a large and varied buffet, breakfast comes with a freshly prepared entree. Ours were delicious.
Service at every level was high quality. The front desk sped us through check-in and check-out, the housekeeping staff we encountered were always pleasant, and the wait staff in the restaurant were attentive and friendly.
This hotel is a great value. I'd recommend this hotel to LAX travelers who want to be close to the airport but not in one of those cookie cutter high rise hotels right by the airport. I'd also encourage others who want to see more of the LA than just the usual tourist spots. Downtown Manhattan Beach, which is a very short drive away and walkable from the hotel down a winding path through a lovely residential area, is a charming beach community with one of the nicest and cleanest beaches you'll find in the Southern California area. And if you do want to wander to our parts of LA you are near major streets and the interstates that can get you there. We were easily able to access spots we wanted to visit.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are definitely preferable.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RockyMountaintravel

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed at The Belamar on a quick business trip to LA. For my needs, it was perfect.... clean, nicely appointed rooms, friendly staff, in a quiet setting. The hotel is an older property, but has seen a nice upgrade in the mid 2000's. From the furnishings and linens, to the carpet and drapes...its seems a complete overhaul has taken place and they've done a nice job bringing things up to par. The one tell tale sign that this is an older property - is the tub and plumbing. Though they've obviously refinished the older tub - the tub in my unit had some cracking and peeling occurring on the bottom. The tub faucet and drain also showed signs of wear. This was nothing I would have complained about.... just stating that this was the main sign I could see that this was a refurbished property. The bed was EXTREMELY comfortable. My only real complaint is that, for a business traveler, I could not find enough open electrical sockets to cover my needs... phone.. computer... Ipad. I had to move furniture to get to several sockets and most were already occupied by lamps, television, or the alarm clock. This could be solved by an easy install of a power strip device in the desk area. I would suggest to management that more comfortable seating be offered on the individual patios. It would have proved an excellent space to work or read - but the wooden chairs were not very inviting. CUSHIONS are a glorious thing - maybe some actual patio furniture?? Otherwise - the front desk and valet service was excellent. I had appetizers and drinks in the restaurant bar - and service there was friendly and inviting as well. Valet parking is incredibly affordable at $10/day - something not found in LA these days. If you're looking solely for a beach vacation - be prepared to drive or bike to the beach which is 5 minutes away by vehicle... 20 minutes on foot. Overall I found the Belamar a nice property - I will definitely be back on my next business trip to the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Filmchick66
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

This really is an excellent hotel as long as you are not that bothered about being near the beach or the centre of the town as it is a good 20 minute walk away.
We stayed in a junior suite which was massive and very clean and had a very comfy bed! We asked for a quieter room as we had read on here that some rooms are noisy which now I understand why. It is right nice to a very very busy 3/4 lanes road and if you were unfortunate to get one of the rooms near this then it could be a problem. But we had a suite overlooking the courtyard which was great. Breakfast was marvellous and we also had dinner in the restaurant which was again extremely good. The staff were very pleasant and overall, despite its location, it is a very good hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
Norm S, General Manager at The Belamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear MAK100,

Thank you for staying with us and it looks like you were able to enjoy breakfast and dinner in our Second Story Restaurant, the #1 rated restaurant in Manhattan Beach. The next time your travels bring you back to the Belamar Hotel, we do have bike rentals available where you can enjoy a 1.5 mile ride to the beach area. I shared your great comments with our Executive Chef and restaurant staff who were very appreciative. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you soon. You’re Gonna Love it at the Belamar!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

The Belamar is the perfect place to stay for business or pleasure! A jewel of property well taken care of, the staff very friendly and service oriented that you as a guest feel right at a Luxury Home!!

From the moment you pull in on property, you are in for a treat. We have stayed twice, once on business the other on pleasure and the reception just gotten better.

The rooms, linen, housekeeping, cleaning, service and even upper management are there to make the stay worth coming back!

Appreciate the staff, first, for their dedication and commitment to Service and Quality! Thank you to all. Will come back again to stay!!

Room Tip: Any one will provide you with a nice rest!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This hotel made us feel good from the moment we arrived. When we walked through the front door, the lobby felt bright, fresh and stylish, and the staff was friendly and efficient. The spacious room was attractive, clean and comfortable. There were nice little features, including complimentary glasses of fruit infused water in the lobby, a lovely interior patio, reasonably priced parking, and free WiFi. A 20 to 30 minute walk down a bark chip path leads to Manhattan Beach and the surrounding area full of restaurants and shops. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Norm S, General Manager at The Belamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear je-voyage-partout,

Your wonderful comments about the Belamar hotel were shared with our entire staff this morning. It was great to see that we met all of your expectations during your stay with us. I am so glad that you were able to utilize the features that we provide during your stay like the complimentary fruit infused water and free WiFi. The bark chip trail is also a great way to get to the beach from our hotel, which sounds like you enjoyed as well. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you soon. You’re Going to Love it at the Belamar!

Reviewed June 21, 2013

My wife and I were heading to LA for three nights as our daughter was graduating as a yoga instructor and we wanted to be there. We found the Belamar on line and decided to give it a try. It exceeded all of our expectations in every way. Amazingly curtious and helpful staff, spacious room, modern elegant decor, and the restaurant, Second Story, with food that was 'Spectacular'. Its location is convenient to all beach points, airport and downtown. All in all, it is where we will stay next trip to LA and I recommend it without reservation. (of course you'll need a reservation).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2013

What a great place to stay - more so if you have a hire car - as it is near the beach - but you must look at Hermosa, Santa Monica, Venice beach etc...down the coast
The staff are so friendly - I felt like I was staying with friends
The room are clean - I understand it has recently been renovated - a friend who had been before said it was excellent since the reno.
Very suitable price as it is not on the beach - but near shops etc..would definitely stay again

Room Tip: not really any "better" sides due to location
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach
Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
#1 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to The Belamar Hotel? Share your experiences!