“Peaceful oasis”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Auckland, New Zealand
“Peaceful oasis”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I was looking for a place to stay for a one night LAX layover - and the Belamar fitted all my criteria.
A quick taxi ride (under 10 minutes / $20) from the airport and I'd already arrived. The reception staff were welcoming and friendly and the lobby area is very contemporary with free fruit infused water available - I had the watermelon - very refreshing.
My room was spacious and the bathroom was clean and well stocked. The common corridor area do look slightly tired however I do not feel that mattered when everywhere is so nice.
The hotel is located in a peaceful suburban neighbourhood, however it is only a pleasant 15 minute walk along a wooded walkway to find the downtown beach area.
I explored the beachfront during the afternoon, but by the evening was ready for a rest so ordered room service (Salmon Cobb salad, tasty and generous) and made use of the free complimentary DVD's from reception.
I left feeling refreshed and relaxed and ready to tackle my flight - the perfect stopover.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Typically I stay with friends when in LA - this time I was en route to another destination and just needed two nights close to LAX, but wanted something nicer than a basic, generic airport hotel. The Belamar came up in a Kayak search and I'm happy it did. The location is convenient, the hotel is clean, attractive, and comfortable. The staff is friendly and helpful. The grounds are well kept - nothing fancy, but definitely several steps above average, the restaurant is good. My king size room is immaculate, quiet, nicely decorated, and stocked with Philosophy toiletries, a small fridge and coffee maker. As for amenities and extras, this isn't a "luxury" property - this, I'm sure, is what keeps the price reasonable for those of us traveling on a budget but with high expectations.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ChefNet
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We recently stayed at The Belamar and found it to be comfortable but perhaps a little "tired." My room definitely felt lived in with some wear on the carpet, missing pieces of molding in the bathroom, and a general smell in the hallways that I couldn't identify but definitely didn't care for (not the case in the room).

Contrary to some reviewers, I found front desk and restaurant service to be really good. Smiles, positive attitudes, responsiveness. And the bartender (Pat, I believe) at Second Story in particular was a great guy to be around.

The food at the restaurant is excellent and the happy hour prices are insanely reasonable.

As far as location goes, it's not what most people would think of as Manhattan Beach. It's smack on Sepulveda (a very busy roadway) and a long (20 minutes?) but pleasant walk down to the Manhattan Beach downtown area / shops / pier.

2 Thank StuckInStLouis
Norm S, General Manager at The Belamar Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear StuckinStLouis,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post positive comments about our restaurant staff. We are very proud of the service and food quality that we provide in our Second Story Restaurant. I will share your comments with the staff, especially Patrick.

We are currently in the process of selecting the perfect carpet for our hotel and this should be completed in the near future. Our hotel also recently completed the installation of new air conditioning units and 56" plasma televisions each guest room which we have received very positive feedback from our guests.

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to your next visit with us.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Rooms were immaculate, as always. Service was exceptional and helpful. Entire family was delighted.
We will return for our 4th stay some time in the next year or so, I really hope.
Convenient to LAX, shops and beach. Great ambience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Delamer57e
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Nothing to complain about here--comfy & luxe rooms, friendly staff, great breakfast, and just a relaxing 20-minute walk to the beautiful "Strand" of Manhattan Beach! The Belamar is one of my favorite hotels of all time (and as a business traveler, the 120+ nights/year I spend in hotels make that glowing praise, indeed)!!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Pam M
LA
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Clearly The Belamar is a stretch because they coupled two motels into one, dressed it up a bit with nice wallpaper and a few eclectic 70's retro inexpensive touches and call it Boutique. I give them a B for Boutique. The Attitude however from everyone at the front desk was condescending and reflected Management style throughout the staff. Hotel is alongside 6 lane Hway, 1.3 miles from Manhattan Beach..not five minute walk, 20 minutes plus. Overall experience could have been three star, attitude, attitude numerous times at front desk. The Job of Front Desk Staff and Managers are to make us feel welcome and accommodated, not privileged to have your assistance. I will never come back, you should never come.

Room Tip: Stay away from 6 lane highway.
3 Thank Wolves006
Norm S, General Manager at The Belamar Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Wolves006,

Your recent stay with us certainly sounds like it was less than should be expected when staying at the Belamar Hotel. Please accept our apology for the way that you were treated by our staff. This is certainly not the high level of product and service quality we all expect for all of our guests that stay at our hotel.

I encourage you to contact me at the Belamar so I can rectify this unfortunate situation.

Norm Santos
310-750-0300
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 11, 2012

No complaints about this hotel. Everthing from service to atmosphere is perfect. They will bend over backwards to make you feel at home. Located across the street from Manhattan Village shopping center under 2 miles to the beach. you can rent bicycles to ride to the beach City Cruiser style with big seats very comfortable. I would stay here again 5 stars!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room faces court yard
1 Thank AO_DC
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach
Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
#1 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to The Belamar Hotel? Share your experiences!