“Not what we expected from a Larkspur Hotel....”
Review of The Belamar Hotel

The Belamar Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Not what we expected from a Larkspur Hotel....”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Our reception at the Belamar was pleasant and prompt. The room we were assigned was the right kind of room, but the balcony was over the roof of the pool at the end of the building and was in view of the gas station next door. We went back to the lobby to request another room and were given one down the hall, overlooking the garden as requested. I hate when hotels give you marginal rooms when better ones are available! Anyway, we were exhausted and wanted to relax before going out to dinner.....when the maid (at 3PM) parked her cart outside our door and proceeded to station herself there until 5PM! She had delivered some hangers to us (why we don't know) and didn't move the rest of the afternoon, cleaning, visiting, refilling bottles, etc. Needless to say, no quiet rest time.

The room was nice, the amenities OK, it was clean, location was GREAT - near LAX, Whole Foods across the street, convenient to our business associates, etc. Not very quiet, but a walking path to Manhattan Beach. We expected more having made our reservations because of other Larkspur locations we have stayed at, but it was OK. Would we return? Well....at first we said yes, until some strange bite marks appeared on my husbands leg....we think they were from bed bugs, didn't see any but ....will we go back? We think we'll look elsewhere....

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are worth the extra $
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
tbeedon, General Manager at The Belamar Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
Dear PinotSeller,

Thank you for taking time to tell us about your recent experience at the Belamar Hotel. It was nice to read that overall you felt the check in reception was pleasant and prompt. Our rooms that overlook the patio are lovely and I'm happy to read you thought so too.

I was disappointed to learn that we did not exceed your expectations regarding the initial room you were assigned, and that the housekeeping room attendant did not allow you a restful stay. We have spoken with both our housekeeping and front desk teams to remind them of our primary objective of making the guest experience perfect in every way. I apologize your stay was not restful.

PinotSeller, Larkspur Hotels and Restaurants has one of the strictest protocols in the industry for bed bugs both in terms of response to initial reports and preventative maintenance. We routinely check our rooms and keep track of the frequency in which they are checked. When we received your comment yesterday, we immediately sent our team to the room you were in to do a thorough and documented inspection. Fortunately, we found no evidence of bed bugs.

Thank you again for your comments PinotSeller and hope to have you back again very soon.

Tom Beedon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 3, 2011

I am one to normally stay at one of the large hotel chains (Starwood and Hilton) and my stay at the Belamar Hotel Manhattan Beach was my first at a smaller boutique hotel. I have to say that I was expremely impressed with everything and could not fault a thing. The property was in fantastic order from the beautiful entry / foyer area, through the bar / restaurant, to of course the room. I was very impressed with the entrance and how the hotel was set up to look very hip and funky. It was very clean and all in order. The room was very spacious with some nice touches to it including lovely bathroom products. The staff were extremely friendly and the hotel offered additional gestures such as Halloween cakes, some drinks, chocolates and one night free manicures. Wifi was free and they had ample computers to use as well. The bar / restaurant was very modern and the food was delicious, especially the buffet breakfast. Location was great, close to airport but in the middle of a beautiful American suburb with magnificant homes. Beach was a 15 minute walk away. Across the road are shops and some great restaurants. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay at a lovely small hotel in a beautiful beachside suburb, still close to the airport.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Chris R
tbeedon, General Manager at The Belamar Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Dear Chris R,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Belamar Hotel and Second Story restaurant in Manhattan Beach, it was simply fantastic! I am delighted you decided not to stay at a large, chain hotel this time and instead chose our "hip and funky hotel" if I may use your words. Once you stay at quality boutique hotel, it's quite difficult to go back to large chain hotels as you call them. Congratulations, you caught the boutique bug!

Thank you again for taking the time to comment on our many wonderful amenities and our truly unique guest experiences, like Manicures and Martini's on Monday nights in the lobby. I hope to see you back soon and often Chris R.

Have a great weekend and an advance Happy Holidays!

Olympia, Washington
Reviewed November 1, 2011

My daughter recently married in LA and almost all the guests were from out of town. The Belamar was the perfect place to stay for all the family and friends. The Belamar graciously secured a block of rooms for the wedding party and assisted us with any needs we had. Once the guests arrived, everyone was welcomed into a lovely boutique hotel with valet parking, comfortable rooms, great areas to meet such as the lobby and courtyard, and a first class restaurant. Shopping and the beach are in walking distance, and many California tourist destinations are in driving distance. It was a perfect wedding weekend and the Belamar made our stay extraordinary. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
tbeedon, General Manager at The Belamar Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Dear Carol W,

Thank you so much for the awesome feedback regarding your recent wedding weekend at the Belamar Hotel. We loved having you as our guests as much as you loved staying with us. Our marketing department could not have written a more wonderful description of our hotel so for your kind words, I thank you again!

We can't wait to welcome you back soon Carol W and when you return, please make sure to stop by the Front Desk to say hello.

Have a wonderful weekend and thank you again for your kind words and your loyalty!

Middletown, Rhode Island
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We had a positive stay at the Belamar Hotel in Manhattan Beach, CA.
The place was welcoming, nicely decorated and clean. Bedding very nice and comfortable.
Our king room was spacious and all in all a great place to hang our hats for the night.
Our room was on the main road side and we thought we would hear traffic and it would be noisy.
It was quiet and we slept very well, which doesn't always happen when you're away from home.
The only negative was having to use valet parking, but it was not a big issue.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
tbeedon, General Manager at The Belamar Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
Dear Denise FJ,

I was so happy to read you felt welcome and rested well during your stay with us at the Belamar Hotel and Second Story restaurant. We enjoyed having you as our guest!

Our beds are a perfect combination of linens with just the right amount of feathers (or foam if you prefer) to insure a great and restful sleep, and our windows are dual pane and do a fantastic job keeping noise out if there is any. Thank you for commenting on this.

Valet parking is a requirement of the city of Manhattan Beach for the Belamar, so we do our best to make sure your valet experience is prompt and friendly. I am sorry you felt this was a negative, but once you get to know our valet team I'm sure over time you'll learn to love it.

Thank you again for a great review Denise FJ, we hope to see you back again very soon.

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed October 19, 2011

A very elegant and well kept hotel with an attention to design, from the lobby and hallways to the rooms themselves. The rooms are modern and clean, with light wooden furniture which contrasts with the dark mahogany type found in so many US hotels. The room is well equipped with wifi, iPod docking station, DVD, etc although the CRT TV as well as the bulky, noisy, typically American indoor airconditioning unit under the window look rather outdated. The bed is quite comfortable. The bathroom is neat and clean but rather small and I felt very lucky I had read comments from a recent visitor on Tripadvisor who warned against getting one's fingers stuck between the bathroom door and the counter as the exact same thing ALMOST happened to me!

As often in the US there is no safe and only an empty fridge but no minibar and the two water bottles in the room sell for 1$50 a piece.

The location of the hotel itself is not as great as I thought; it's really at the edge of Manhattan Beach towards El Segundo, right on Sepulveda - a very busy 10-lane street.

The personnel is very professional and courteous - they even call you by your name when you dial the reception.

The hotel has a very decent restaurant and bar (but only open as of 4pm), a business centre with freely available computers and printers to print boarding passes and the like, an ATM machine and other facilities.

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room with courtyard view
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear Lablanche,

Thank you for providing a thoughtful and thorough review of the Belamar Hotel and Second Story Restaurant. I was delighted to read you had a great stay and enjoyed the many amenities we offer including the restaurant. Chef Vania and our culinary team enjoy what they do and it is reflected in our quality and creative food and service.

Our staff takes great pride in providing memorable service to our guests so it was great to read that you appreciated being called by your name. Our guests are part of what makes our hotel so special so remembering your name is another way you know we care.

I would also like to mention that while our location may not have been what you expected, and I do apologize for that, many people like the fact that we are close to the airport yet still close enough to the beach to walk or ride one of our complimentary day us bikes. For the business traveler, we think it's the perfect location and for the leisure traveler looking for a vacation, we are convenient to everything Los Angeles has to offer including the beach.

Thank you again for your feedback Lablance. We hope to see you back soon and often!

ann arbor, mi
Reviewed October 19, 2011

The Bellamar is a unique and fun boutique hotel. If you are a business traveller this hotel has a perfect location. Couldn't be more then 10 minutes from LAX and easy access to hwys.
The restaurant is one of the best in town by far, (I am a foodie), reasonably priced for the quality and creativity of the food, and has a fun and friendly bar.
We were there for vacation for 4 days. The staff at the hotel was exceptionally friendly,accommodating and polite. We always felt well taken care of. There are apples, ding dongs (yes, it's true) and fruit flavored water in the lobby, a bathrobe in the closet and wonderful l'Occitane soaps and products in the bathroom. There are also bikes to borrow to head into town or beach (I think you have to be 18 to use them?).
As for the valet parking mentioned in another review, we found it very helpful. There was no charge to park, and it never took more then a minute to get our car (the lot is right there and quite small) , and there are friendly and helpful valets to give advice on where to go or how to get somewhere.
The only thing to make the hotel better is to move it next to the beach!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear macswim,

Thank you for writing a review regarding your recent stay at the Belamar. I was so happy to read you thought the hotel was fun and perfectly located for the business traveler, we think so too!

I also loved your feedback on Second Story restaurant. We continue to get great reviews on the food creativity and quality, so I'm even more delighted to hear you had a great experience too. There is something for everyone on our menu, including vegetarian and gluten free, so I encourage you to come back next time you're in town to see our new and exciting creations from Chef Vania.

I did want to point out however that we do typically charge $10 per night for parking. It's a small charge but we are required to have parking by the City of Manhattan Beach so we pass on a nominal charge for our overnight guests. Parking is still free if you come to the restaurant or an event however.

Thank you again for the great feedback macswim, we hope to welcome you back to the Belamar very soon!

Arlington, VA
Reviewed October 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for two nights to visit some friends in LA and wanted to stay near Manhattan Beach. There are limited hotel options nearby - either very very expensive or two star or less - and the Belamar seems to be a good middle range option.
Overall the hotel was clean, although our room on the ground level facing the parking lot was generally dark and the carpet needed a cleaning. The bed was comfortable and the bath linens were a good quality.
The bathroom was not large and had a strange arrangement where the edge if the counter was cut back to follow the swing of the door. I ended up smashing my finger between the counter and door getting a nasty bruise - not completely the hotels fault but a bad design detail!
The room had a mini fridge, coffe maker, a non HD TV (disappointing given the price of the room) and a DVD player.
Our biggest complaint though was you were required to valet park which wasn't advertised when we made reservations and was especially annoying because in LA you have drive to go anywhere, so every time we'd go out we'd have to wait and then tip the attendant. There really aren't any walkable options for eating out nearby and you're not close enough to walk to downtown manhattan beach and the pier.
I think were going to try another hotel for our next visit...

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Lisa G
tbeedon, General Manager at The Belamar Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Dear WonderWomanTraveler,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience regarding your recent stay. It was great to hear of the many aspects of the hotel that you liked including the cleanliness and comfort of your bed and linens. I hear over and over again from our repeat guests how well they slept in our comfy beds while staying with us.

We love our location and I'm glad to read you do too! Next time you visit, I hope you take advantage of our 16 beach cruiser bicycles that are available on a complimentary basis for our guests to ride to the beach or have breakfast or lunch in one of our many dining options close by the hotel. That is, of course, should you choose not to dine in our own incredible Second Story restaurant that receives rave reviews on our food and service.

It is true that we are required to have valet parking by the City of Manhattan Beach which is why we've kept the parking charge low, currently only $10 per night. I apologize that you were not aware of this prior to arriving to the hotel, but rest assured we have begun a thorough audit of our communication channels to make certain this is communicated effectively going forward.

I also want to apologize for the injury you sustained on your finder, I hope you are feeling better.

Thank you again for providing this great feedback WonderWomanTraveler, I hope to see you back at the Belamar very soon. I'm certain you'll love your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Manhattan Beach
#1 of 7 in Hermosa Beach
Hotel Hermosa
Hotel Hermosa
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to The Belamar Hotel? Share your experiences!