“Wonderful boutique find in Southern California”
Review of Shade Hotel

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Reviewed November 11, 2010

If you're staying in the Southern LA area, this place is for you. A perfect boutique-style hotel with 38 rooms on two levels in the heart of upscale Manhattan Beach. Very friendly and helpful staff, great semi-outdoor dining, and comfortable rooms. This hotel is within a short walking distance to the beach, the great walking paths along the ocean, and the fantastic restaurants and shops in Manhattan Beach. The hotel has a great roof-top lounging area for sunning, but the pool is small - actually an oversized spa, but this is typical of boutique hotels. Just spent a week there and it's the only place we'll stay in the future when we visit LA.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 6, 2010

Stayed at The Shade last week and was blown away with the service. The staff not only helped me with everything I needed (from directions to reservations) but actually seemed to be enthusiastic and genuinely care about me. Props to Gustavo! The breakfast is good, my personal fav was the yogurt parfait and delicious oatmeal. The lounge on the weekend was the place to be apparently and we had a blast but think they should stay open longer! 11:30pm is just too early! Overall, this was an amazing experience. Manhattan Beach is dreamy. We loved it so much that we wanted to stay longer... but the hotel was sold out and the front desk guy went out of his way to ask if he could call around and book me a room at another competing hotel. NOT ONLY DID HE DO THAT FOR ME, BUT HE ALSO GOT ME A DISCOUNTED RATE! He then gave me directions and everything I needed. I DID NOT EVEN ASK FOR HIM TO DO THAT!

Shade rocks & I will be back soon.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 22, 2010

I recently stayed at the Shade Hotel for 3 nights and found it to be almost perfect. Starting out with the staff everyone was super friendly and willing to help accommodate any needs I had......even getting a vase for the flowers I brought for my girlfriend!

The rooms and hotel itself were very modern and very high class. Although the weather wasn't that great over the course of the 3 days I was in town being in the hotel made a big difference. Inside the Shade as corny as it sounds always felt like a nice sunny day. It felt like they turned down the room every hour because whenever I left and came back everything was nice and tidy. In the evenings they would leave some cupcakes which was a nice touch.

The bar area offered a wide selection of drinks and in the evenings had to be the most happening hotel lobby bar I have ever stayed in. It is also in a PERFECT location right in the mix of all the shops, restaurants and bars. I was contemplating staying at a hotel that was half the price but about a mile from the social area of Manhattan Beach and I surely would of kicked myself if I went through with that since it was so nice to be around everything.

Breakfast in the morning was also good they had a variety of non-healthy options, along with healthy options.

If I go back to that area I will be staying there again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travel1981MD
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I had the pleasure of staying in the hotel for 5 days, I really enjoyed the breakfast & cycling up to Redondo beach was truly worthwhile using the free cycle service. I thought the food & drink were a bit pricey so ate/drank out.

I aim to bring my wife one day, to show her how bad we have it in the UK! We stayed in touch using the FREE wi-fi service & SKYPE.

An allround thumbs up.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Shade1221, Manager at Shade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2010

Hi Bellderelly,

We’re so glad to have had the pleasure of being your home away from home for 5 days-thanks for the thumbs up! With a Restaurateur owner and outstanding Executive Chef, we like to think that you get a lot of bang for your buck at Zinc lounge, but I can understand your concern. If you find yourself coming to Shade often for business I would love to help set up a Corporate Rate for your company! The discount received on your room nights may justify a nice glass of wine and a tasting of tapas on your next trip. We look forward to your return visit!

Best Wishes,
Abbie Etchart
Sales Manager

Reviewed September 28, 2010

Shade was as advertised - a luxury boutique hotel offering stellar service and accommodations. The rooms are roomy and well appointed, and the staff are attentive and knowledgable. Although I was hoping to stay on the beach, I can say the 2 - 3 minute walk to the beach was always more interesting than inconvenient. The dining opportunities are many, varied and again within walking distance. The complimentary breakfast and bicycles were a nice surprise. Given my taste - smaller, more intimate hotels in trendy areas - Shade definitely rates a return stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 19, 2010

Just never seemed that comfortable there. Room was nice, if a little cheesey (loved the bed though...very comfy). I love a balcony when I travel and "every room with a balcony" was a key selling point...sadly thr 12 inch ledge was not what I expected.

Roof pool/deck is nice, but with no staff and calling room service to order a glass of wine...it wasn't very relaxing.

I liked it and would recommend, but not sure it was for me.

1  Thank punxsy
Reviewed July 23, 2010

Shade is in the heart of Manhattan Beach. Perfect location, I guess that is what you pay for. The Zinc lounge is very popular at night and loud! Slow bar service and food service though. Pizza not so great... Not sure why this place is considered luxury though. Rooms are small. The best thing is that you can walk to everything that's the only plus about staying here.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Shade1221, General Manager at Shade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2010

Hi meg329,

We are so happy to hear you were able to experience Manhattan Beach in the summertime. It truly is the epitome of a Southern California vacation. This is often why Shade gets so busy during the summer months of June, July, and August. Occasionally during our high season, and especially in Zinc on weekend evenings, we fill up quickly and for this reason recommend making reservations in advance. October – May is a great time to visit if you are looking for a quieter experience and an added bonus is we have great specials during this period!

Because we are a boutique luxury hotel, our rooms reflect the intimate and tranquil atmosphere we have instilled at Shade. At approximately 400 square feet, our rooms are about an average size for our industry. In fact, we often get compliments about how spacious our rooms are!

Shade’s location at the Metlox Center in Manhattan Beach is certainly one of our best credentials. Restaurants, shopping, tourist attractions, and more can be enjoyed without ever having to set foot in a car.

We would love to see you again at Shade and hope you enjoy the rest of your summer!

All the best,

The Sea View Inn at the Beach
#2 of 9 in Manhattan Beach
Best Western Plus Manhattan Beach Hotel
#1 of 19 in Redondo Beach

Been to Shade Hotel? Share your experiences!