“Our Wedding Was Perfect At Shade!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shade Hotel

Shade Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
los angeles
“Our Wedding Was Perfect At Shade!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

My husband and I just got married at Shade, we stayed in the Bridal Suite and had the ceremony in the courtyard and the reception on the skydeck...it was perfect, absolutely perfect! Not only is Shade a gorgeous, modern, boutque hotel, but they were amazing to work with. I had a very low budget to work with and Jolise (the event coordinator) was totally wondeful, worked with me on every detail and made sure that even on my budget that my wedding was perfect. Shade allowed us to decorate how we wanted, they didn't have stuffy rules like all the other places we checked out, like cake cutting fees and other ridiculous extra charges...they even threw in a night free at the hotel! Everyone was so nice, and worked extra hard to accommodate our vegetarian menu and alcohol free cocktail hour! Everyone was so impressed and we were so happy how everything turned out, no stress at all!!! I would recommend Shade Hotel for not only weddings but other events as well, or maybe just a night out on the town!!! They have amazing food and the chef cooked up a special menu for us, everyone was so excited about the food!
Thank you Shade and Jolise Voight for making our wedding dreams come true!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Herndon, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2009

When I found out we were going to California during the winter which was cold and terrible on the east coast, I was super excited to enjoy the warm weather and sun. We arrived at Shade which was beautiful, breezy and open because of its atrium and large open doors. I was booked on the first floor facing the atrium, while my boss was on the second floor. Once I got into my room I was completely disapointed. Not only was I facing the atrium and a bar area, I felt like I couldn't keep my blinds or window open because people were constantly walking past my sliding room door and there was no seperation. I spent the whole time with my curtains closed with no natural sunlight. bummer.

My boss who was on the second floor had a completely different experience, because she was higher and had a balcony she slept with the sliding glass door open, it was breezy and wonderful and I was jealous the entire trip. I asked to move but there weren't any rooms available.

We went to the rooftop deck and the pool looked MUCH smaller than it did in the picture and shared the roof with a lot of equipment, air conditioners maybe? not sure. I did enjoy their morning breakfast and the proximity to the boardwalk, I woke up early each morning and went running which was really pretty and so fun.

So basically, do stay at this hotel, but make sure you are on the second floor!!!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Black Hills of South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

Shade Hotel quietly delivers excellent service that I find only sporadic when I stay at The Four Seasons Hotels. The staff is friendly and they go way out of their way to make your stay the best possible. The rooms are elegant and quiet, which offers a great night's sleep. Shade offers excellent small plates and a nice California wine list. There are wonderful functions happening there often and guests are often allowed to partake.
There are many fine dining restaurants and lesser fare within walking distance of the hotel. Tis only 3 blocks to the beach... My favorite hotel :)

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

We were married here and returned to celebrate our 2 year anniversary. Glad to see that the rooms are as great as ever. Some of the most comfortable beds you will ever sleep on. Also an amazing tub.
Not an appropriate place for kids, but a great place for couples.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Manhattan Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

If I could give 10 stars I would!
You guys went over in beyond to accomodate us. The Penthouse Suite is the best suite I have ever been too, and I've been to a lot. The rain shower is AMAZING, you never want to leave.
JoLise--You did an amazing job with our wedding. Everyone had a blast. People are still calling and saying its the BEST wedding they've ever been too. Thanks, we couldn't make it without you guys.
You help make our day PERFECT.
Love you all.

R.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

Though I'm currently living with family in Hermosa Beach, I brought my 6 year old daughter here so we could spend some quality 'alone' time ~ living in a house full of relatives who all love my angel is a bit like the old saying about "too many chefs..." ~ while intentions are based on love, I was feeling more like a part of a team than a Mama! Between flu season keeping us homebound and missing 'Daddy' and her 2 brothers (my stepsons) in Pennsylvania, we both needed a break and there aren't many places in the world that would top the comfort and AWESOME staff ~ everyone I came in contact with was so friendly and helpful, we actually extended our stay (and hope to do so again, or at least come back very soon!) ~ the rooms are beautiful, the food is delicious and the jacuzzi tub with the chromatherapy lighting is truly heaven on earth! One thing that sets Shade apart from other luxury hotels is that because it's not a huge 500 room behemoth, the intimacy and cozy yet elegant atmosphere allows guests to feel both 'at home' and like 'royalty' at the same time. Again, I found the staff to be incredible, always offering and sincerely willing to go above & beyond to make every guest's vacation dreams come true. I know that their personal touch made my daughter and I feel so very 'special' like we're part of their family! All I know is that the smile you put on her face when she first saw our room and the comfort & joy that being here has given her means so much more that you will ever know ~ finally seeing her so carefree and happy has made my heart dance again, something it hasn't done in quite a while. Thank you all so much for EVERYTHING and while we still have a couple days left, hopefully we will be able to see you all again real soon ~ you all are awesome ;)

Nicole & Taylor K.
Hermosa Beach, CA

• Stayed October 2009
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

We had a party at Shade the night of September 25 2009. Ms Vought was our planner. The flexibility and attention to what was important to us was important to her. The chef the night of the party was also keen on our desires. I will (actually, already have) absolutely recommend Shade to friends and business associates. We had guests stay at the hotel overnight and their sentiments are the same. Everyone was happy, happy, happy!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
The Redondo Beach Hotel
#1 of 18 in Redondo Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 310 reviews
The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel

Been to Shade Hotel? Share your experiences!