“Great for couples / Awesome!”
Review of Shade Hotel

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I only stayed here one night as I was mostly in Santa Monica and didn't have much time. We loved our room #312... by far one of the best beds I've ever had in a hotel. Shower was great and the jacuzzi tub was a unique tub. We had a fireplace which make the room very comfortable even though it wasn't super hot out that night. The rooftop pool is great (although not huge) but is a great place to cool off and get some additional sun. On Tuesdays there is a farmers market in the adjacent parking lot which I loved. You can walk everywhere you need to go and it really is the perfect location. Staff was awesome and held our bags and allowed us to relax poolside until we departed a little later in the day. Can't recommend this place enough... great for couples.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are probably more quiet than rooms with views. There are 2 floors so requesting a 2n...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dylan M
There are newer reviews for Shade Hotel

Reviewed April 24, 2014

i was in Los Angeles for a series of meetings and had a chance to stay here. i had never heard of this hotel so i thought, Why not?

i checked in late and was immediately caught off guard. i used to live in manhattan beach and no hotel in my memory was this close. this hotel is literally 45 feet from manhattan blvd. one right turn and you can begin your walk to the beach. 4 blocks later you are on sand.

as for the hotel and its amenities, they are very nice. the hotel rooms are interesting in the layout. there is a fireplace/torch that is electronically ignited. and its fun. ready to go romance. as for the beds, they are super comfortable. in fact they are tempur-pedic. first time i have seen one in a hotel. i was most impressed. the rest of the room was also done very nice. it is very much in the motif of a W Hotel.

as for the staff, they are incredibly courteous and proper. i was well received and immediately directed. that was nice since i was so late in my arrival. as for the rest of the layout of the hotel, they have done a good job. however, the location puts a burden on the hotel. it is simply difficult to offer a lot when your hotel is limited by the streets. that being said, i think this group did a great job.

i think one detractor is the cost. it was not cheap. everyone will say that you pay for quality and that is true. however, this is not a grandship hotel. this is not a Landmark. That all being said, i had fun.

in the future, i may stay here. i guess that depends on the availability and my mood. i would definitely recommend a very good look if you were considering coming to MB.

take care and enjoy.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank shark4rk
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Decor - Very nice, clean place. Great seating - comfortable and relaxing

Service - Great service - the waiter was very pleasant and attentive. It was breakfast and only a handful of people were in there.

Food - The food was ok. I had the Grand Marnier french toast and it lacked flavor and was burnt around the edges. The others in my party were happy (2 children - choc chip pancakes and 1 adult)
Price - Way over priced. $4 for each glass of cranberry juice (come on). Breakfast for 2 adults and 2 children $50.

Overall - It was an ok experience. I would try and different place next time.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
SouthBayRox, General Manager at Shade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2014

Hi Michael,

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete your review and I am so sorry your experience was anything less than perfect. It is always disappointing for me when a guest leaves our property dissatisfied, but the bright side is critical reviews always makes us want to improve! We pride ourselves on creating truly delicious dishes and I apologize that was not your experience. I am happy to hear that your service was attentive and I hope that you would reconsider and visit us again so we can perfect the meal portion for you. I can guarantee that the mistakes with your meal were the rare exception and not the rule at Shade Hotel. Should you decide to come back, please do not hesitate to contact me directly as it would be my pleasure to confirm the details of your reservation and ensure your next experience with us exemplifies the level of quality that we have become know for. I hope you have a safe and joyous holiday season,

Shaunna McKelvey

Reviewed April 8, 2014

I lived in Manhattan Beach many, many years ago and when I knew I was going to be in the area for a night, looked for places to stay. The Shade was something new but loved idea of location. I was so pleasantly surprised. The rooms are large, well done. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The location is great if you are wanting to go to the beach or have business in West LA (far better than staying near the airport). We walked to dinner in downtown Manhattan Beach, rode bikes on the strand that were provided by the hotel and just had a great time. I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank jpknw
SouthBayRox, General Manager at Shade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2014

Hello and thank you for the review!

First, it was great to have you back to Manhattan Beach. Being a native of the city I know that it must have changed a bit from the last time you were here and I hope all of the changes you saw were for the better. The area has truly grown-up in the last 10-20 years with the addition of all the great shops and restaurants. Second, thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor and the great recommendation! We look forward to your next visit, to Manhattan Beach or perhaps at our new property next year in Redondo Beach! We hope your holiday season is perfect,

Shaunna McKelvey

Reviewed April 8, 2014

People in the LA area had raved and raved about Shade Hotel so my husband and I were really looking forward to our stay. Shade is clean and the location is excellent. This is definitely the best place to stay in MB given the location but I honestly felt like it was lacking something to make it as amazing as everyone had described it. Also, it is always sold-out so you've book super far in advance or get on the wait-list. This also means is very hard to get any kind of late check-out. And there is always some kind of event going on like a wedding, baby/bridal shower or group birthday dinner and this makes it difficult for guests to use certain parts of the restaurant and the rooftop pool. We saw all of these events while we were there and a wine tasting in the "courtyard" area which made having a room nearby very noisy. I also think they need to hire a few more staff members. Generally the staff was very friendly but when things got busy they all seemed very frazzled and stressed.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AR407145
SouthBayRox, General Manager at Shade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2014

Hello and thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! Though we love to receive the reviews full of praise, details like yours provide us with the catalyst to continually grow and improve as a company. Shade Hotel does periodically facilitate events and though most celebrations go completely unnoticed by our guests we completely understand that it can get in the way of a peaceful stay for others. We do our very best to ensure that everyone has an exceptional experience at our hotel and as a way to proactively solve this problem we alert future guests via email and telephone messages anytime a space will be closed in the hotel for a private event during their stay. This practice has helped us and our guests tremendously. From your review it sounds like you may have stayed during an extra-busy time, as we always have ample staff, and I am so sorry that any of us were frazzled. I truly hope you will give Shade Hotel another chance and experience the oasis of casual luxury that we are known for. You may feel free to contact me anytime if there is anything I may do to personally assist you. Again thank you and have a glorious holiday season,

SmcKelvey@shadehotel.com

Reviewed April 1, 2014

I've stayed many times. Great service, great food, drinks and nice rooftop pool/tub. Thurs/Fri/Sat nights the nightclub in hotel lobby bar was filled with beauties and music, great vibe. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Shaunna M, General Manager at Shade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the review! And more importantly, thank you for returning to see us so many times. We especially love our repeat guests as they are a key component for facilitating the warm and welcoming energy of Shade Hotel. I look forward to seeing you in the lounge again soon,

Reviewed March 28, 2014

The Shade is THE place to stay when in the South Bay whether on business or pleasure. We held our national meeting there last fall and our group called it their fav and this is after 10 years of different destinations. The food is great and the ambience and warmth exhibited by the whole staff and especially Aubry and Jordan is amazing. A comfy stay and energizing!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Shaunna M, General Manager at Shade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Hello David,

With a title like that we can not find too much more to say, other than 'Thank You!' Thank you for choosing Shade Hotel and thank you for sharing your amazing experience with everyone. We pride ourselves on creating an inviting atmosphere for our business and leisure travelers alike. We are so appreciative of corporate groups such as yours and we know that after a long day of meetings all you need is to relax and unwind. I am so glad you were able to get to know our staff personally and we can not wait for you to return. Thank you again and we will see you soon,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Manhattan Beach
Best Western Plus Manhattan Beach Hotel
Manhattan Beach Marriott
Manhattan Beach Marriott
#6 of 9 in Manhattan Beach

Been to Shade Hotel? Share your experiences!