“Beautiful hotel with incredibly friendly service - Aubry rules !!!”
Review of Shade Hotel

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach, California
“Beautiful hotel with incredibly friendly service - Aubry rules !!!”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I was fortunate enough to stay at Shade Hotel for an extended period of time, and I have to say they treated me like a king. Every room is perfect, includes a large tub, and a cozy balcony. The beds are outstanding and you will sleep both comfortably and quietly. Downstairs is a bar/lounge where the service is impeccable and the food and beverages are as good as it gets. The location is ideal with easy access to all of the shops and restaurants in MB, and just a few blocks from the beach and pier. If I could live there, I would !
The best part, however, by far is the people that work there. Every time I walked in I was greeted warmly by the most beautiful, sweet, friendly, outgoing and helpful woman at the front desk, Aubry. Do yourself a favor - go to Shade, have a drink and something to eat, and stay the night - you will be in heaven. More importantly, make sure you meet and spend time with Aubry, she will make your day and trip better every time !

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Sean T
Shaunna M, General Manager at Shade Hotel, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Hello Sean,

Thank you so much for the lovely review. I am so happy that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay. Both our location, just blocks from the Pacific Ocean, and our staff make Shade Hotel the ideal place to rest, relax and unwind and it sounds like you were able to achieve that during your time with us. I will give a special thank you to Aubrey for her personalized service- she is an incredible member of our team. We hope to see you back here soon, either staying with us or perhaps sipping a cocktail on our sunny terrace. Thank you for choosing Shade!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

This is a very nice hotel. The rooms are modern and well appointed. The staff is pleasant. It's expensive for what you get. It's all about location. We had to visit Manhattan Beach & this is as good as it gets. They have a nice cold buffet breakfast that is free.
It does not have a spa within the hotel, so you have to schlep across the street to a spa. The hours are not convenient for the spa. That meant I did not get one. For this price, have a spa or a massage therapist on premises.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CrankierThanThou
Shaunna M, General Manager at Shade Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Thank you for your review! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our hotel and our friendly staff. One of the aspects of our hotel that guests love most is our location! We believe Manhattan Beach is one of the most beautiful, relaxing, and fun cities there is! From the surf, sand and beach to the shopping and incredible restaurants, you will find everything you need for a perfect vacation. As a small luxury boutique hotel with only 38 rooms, we unfortunately do not have a spa on site but our guests love Trilogy Spa located in Metlox Plaza, just 30 steps from our front door . We hope that you can enjoy a wonderful spa experience on your next stay with us!
Reviewed February 24, 2014

The Good:
The place is nice. It's clean. The rooms have a nice setup.

The Bad:
Two days before my stay I was sent an email asking if I wanted to add some gifts at check in. I selected the 'Romance Package' with rosé sparkling wine, chocolate strawberries, and rose petals on the bed and tub. Upon our arrival none of these items were in place, and the desk attendant only offered a weak apology with a plastic smile. "Yeah, i'm sorry. I don't know what happened"

The parking is atrocious. 2 hour parking most everywhere, and the 'long term lot' below the hotel requires you to reload the meter at 8am every day. Sadly I arrived to my car at 8:20 to see a $48 ticket on my windshield written at 8:11am.

We stayed at Shade the same night a wedding and reception happened to be taking place there. This made our stay very awkward and unwelcoming. We were repeatedly questioned if we were hotel guests as if we didn't belong there, the staff was distracted and inattentive, it became extremely crowded, and we were not allowed to be in the bar/restaurant area.

We went up to the Sky deck, hoping to use the hot pool- only to find that it was really just a bar. I can't imagine why anyone would wan to go into that pool while surrounded by 30 people out for drinks on a saturday night - so much for relaxing.

Lastly, I asked for a late check out so that we could take a walk and have brunch before having to lug our stuff out of the hotel, and we were refused a checkout. I was told "We can maybe give you an extra half hour". Maybe? No thanks, it's time to go.

For a place that charges $400+ per night, I expected much more.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Ross A
Shaunna M, General Manager at Shade Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Hello Mr. RossAdams,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We truly appreciate honest and critical reviews as they become the catalyst for improving our hotel and business. I am so sorry that your experience was less than extraordinary. Our primary focus at Shade Hotel is to provide superior customer service and it disappoints me to learn that we fell short of this for you. I would like to address the issues you presented and hopefully be able to rectify as many problems as possible.

I looked at all details of your reservation and did not see any notes for the Romance Package. Our Romance Package is our most popular amenity and I can imagine how frustrating it was to make a request that was not followed through on. I take fault and apologize for this oversight.

Shade Hotel offers a few parking options, our valet is $24 per night and on January 1st we did an audit of all competition within a 10 mile radius to ensure that our valet prices were lower, or at most, on par with other hotels. Our hotel also sits on top of a parking structure with metered parking where you can park overnight for free. The meters run from 8am-9pm. I am so sorry you received a parking ticket- that is not a great way to start any day.

The wedding on Saturday filled our lounge and courtyard. When we have an event taking place we ensure that we alert all guests staying at the hotel about it in a detailed email and then again when we do confirmation calls 72 hours before check-in. Because the event took the usual spaces that are available to guests we do our best to create a warm, inviting and relaxing environment on our Skydeck where guests can enjoy a cocktail and some of our delicious small plates under the stars. Again, I sincerely apologize if this was not your experience.

Last, I apologize we could not grant you a later check out. We always do our absolute best to accommodate every guest's request however with only 38 rooms and being sold out almost every day we must ensure that we have our rooms ready for our guests who are checking in each day. If we are sold out 2 days in a row, as is usual, then a late check out becomes a challenge for the housekeeping team to finish their duties on time.

I hope that you will reconsider and give Shade another chance and regardless, I appreciate the time you spent completing this review. I will send you a separate message privately with my contact information so that you can contact me any time with further questions or concerns. Thank you again and I hope you had safe travels back home
Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2014

As an experienced international traveler, shade hotel has become my second home in the manhattan beach area. I am greeted by the most attractive women, Aubrey and Christina, at the desk, and the bar never fails to keep my wine glass full! Being the socialite that I am, shade provides the best company around!!

• Stayed February 2014
Shaunna M, General Manager at Shade Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
We are so happy to hear you love the company here at Shade so much! We do have wonderful people working throughout the hotel, and as you mentioned, at the front desk and bar! We love our repeat guests and hope we see you back very soon!
Wittenberg, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 16, 2014

This was by far the nicest place we have stayed in the beach area. The room was cozy, quiet, and romantic. The breakfast in the morning was delicious. The entire staff made our short stay wonderful....making us wish we could stay longer.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dred1
It sounds like you truly had a fabulous and relaxing stay here at Shade and we hope that next time you can stay longer! Everyone here at Shade does their absolute best to make sure every guest has a delightful stay and it is great to hear that was your experience. Thank you so much for your patronage and for your review- it is much appreciated!
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night during layover and could not have been treated better. Breakfast included was perfect to start day; beds were wonderful; shower great. We had hours to kill before flight and easily walked the few blocks to the Strand to walk along the beach of this beautiful town. The hotel was amazingly accommodating, allowing us to store our luggage, use a room to shower after our checkout, linger in the very comfortable lounge area... Special shout out to Christina who was extremely helpful.

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you for your review! We are so happy to hear that you had an enjoyable layover and were able to utilize the wonderful amenities our hotel has to offer, as well as the rest of our wonderful seaside city! We have had fabulous weather here in Southern California and love when our guests from out of town are able to enjoy it! We hope to have you back again!
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed February 11, 2014

My boyfriend surprised me with an overnight stay at the Shade Hotel and I have to say from the moment we stepped into the lobby until our departure we were catered to as if we were celebrities. The entire staff was so amenable, but in particular Aubry made sure my romantic surprise night was going to be special. The room was perfect with several extra touches and she provided expert knowledge of the area for live music and adventurous outings. The breakfast is sinful and the close proximity to the beach and boardwalk are priceless.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Shaunna M, General Manager at Shade Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
We are so happy you and your boyfriend had a wonderfully relaxing and romantic stay with us. We love when our guests feel like Shade is a home away from home and it is a pleasure to be a part of surprises such as your boyfriend’s surprise to you! It sounds like you took full advantage of our wonderful location as well as our complimentary Beach Breakfast buffet. We hope to have you both back very soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manhattan Beach
#1 of 19 in Redondo Beach
Manhattan Beach Marriott
Manhattan Beach Marriott
#6 of 9 in Manhattan Beach

Been to Shade Hotel? Share your experiences!