“Great Hotel, Excellent Location!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shade Hotel

Shade Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Seattle, Washington
“Great Hotel, Excellent Location!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Shade Hotel for two nights this past weekend. The hotel was very nice and staff was friendly and accommodating. This hotel is in an excellent location to walk to several restaurants in the area and right by the pier. The jetted spa and comfortable bed was nice to come back to after a long day out. We wish we could stay longer. We will definitely come back to this place again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Shaunna M, General Manager at Shade Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Hello Steven.

It sounds like you had a great stay with us and got to explore our wonderful pier area! Downtown Manhattan Beach is a very special place and our guests always love exploring all of the shopping, dining and entertainment the area has to offer! We look forward to seeing you when you return!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

I had to go to training in nearby Torrance and no rooms were available at my normal hotel. I noticed that the NHRA finals were the same week and I thought I was either going to scratch my itches or drive 2 hours. Instead , I chose this hotel. Maybe it is just because I live in Oklahoma but the whole experience was a thing of beauty. I have stayed at the Carlton-Ritz before. The staff responses to my needs were like a well rehearsed Broadway play and made sure that my stay was about me and went above and beyond what was required of them.
When I arrived, the staff valet parked my car and had my room ready. In my room, there was a fully stocked bar and fridge. There is so much in this room that is amazing that I was noticing new things every day. For instance, The whirlpool by the bed was incredible in itself. There were sliding doors that I found the 2nd day that I could enclose the bathroom from the rest if I wanted to, (but I didn't). I took lots of pictures and am going to model my house after the color scheme of the room I was in. The fire vortex and full balcony was great also. The pool on the roof was amazing view of Manhattan Beach, Even though it is really a pool sized Jacuzzi. The finishing touch that I liked was the fashion show the last night I stayed there. There are plenty of places to eat nearby and I felt safe walking at night down by the pier.

Room Tip: I am not sure about the other rooms but the street rooms would be quiet enough. The hotel is basical...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are thrilled that you were so impressed with our rooms you want to model your home after them! If I may be of service with regards to information on design details or vendor contacts please feel free to contact me at SMcKelvey@ShadeHotel.com. The rooms are always a favorite of our guests and it is true that you can discover more wonderful things about them every day! It is our staff’s goal to make your stay is as wonderful as possible and we are glad your experience was so fabulous! Thank you so much for the amazing review,
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Our two night stay at Shade was better than we expected. They really have the details down. Comfortable beds, cool light effects, curling iron I the room, bath salts, light effect whirlpool tub, cake pop and bottled water placed on each nightstand (replaced daily), fireplace wall sconce, etc. the hotel is very modern and stylish, but very welcoming and comfortable at the same time. Walking distance to many restaurants and the strand. The bar is great and food top notch. We will definitely be back again!

Hello Candice!

I must admit- I love the title of this review! It is wonderful to hear that you will be back with us again soon. Our goal here at Shade is to make every guest’s stay as comfortable as possible as you can see from all of our fabulous amenities and incredible staff. It is an honor to be considered your home away from home and we look forward to the next time we get to see you!
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

My husband and I had a 6 hour layover between flights in LA and we did not want to hang out at the airport. A friend had told us about Shades and I had remembered her saying it was only 15 minutes from LAX. So not knowing where to go and lugging our roller bags we took a taxi to Shades. We had lunch which was wonderful and hung out for the day. Aubrey at the front desk made us feel very welcome. Next time we will stay the night I would highly recommend it to others.

1 Thank Gaye P
We are so happy you had some time to stay with us! It was our pleasure to make your layover as comfortable as possible and with our close proximity to LAX we really are a perfect place to come home to after a flight. We hope that you will be back in the area again and can experience all of the incredible amenities Shade has to offer! Thank you so much for the review,
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

My husband & I took a break from the holiday craziness and booked into Shade. Jon at the front desk upgraded us to an amazing corner suite complete with aeration tub,light effects, superb black-out drapes and the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in! The hotel is stylish but unpretentious with wonderful staff, drinks, and dining on the stunning two storey curtained deck. Location can't be beat - a few steps to amazing shopping, dining, and of course pristine Manahattan Beach.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Katherine,

Thank you so much for the review. It sounds like you had a fabulous time here at Shade and we can not wait to have you back! We are so happy you enjoyed our wonderful amenities. Our California King Tempur-Pedic beds really are a favorite of our guests. It sounds like you and your husband got to enjoy the town and experience beautiful downtown Manhattan Beach . We look forward to seeing you both very soon!
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

This was a much looked forward to trip to spend time with family living here in Manhattan Beach. After experiencing the polar vortex in New York we were ready for the warmth and relaxation of California. We found it at Shade.....a stylish hotel close to shopping, restaurants and a truely fun and lively atmosphere. All staff are friendly and welcoming, which is what you hope for. But we did have a couple of issues with noise and the room not being serviced and the manager, Shaunna Mckelvey listened to my problems, and quickly made very appropriate resolutions, which exceeded our expectations. I would not normally write reviews, but you need to know that a truly special hotel makes things better......before you write a bad review give someone a chance to understand......I hope there are more Shaunna's out there....there would only then be brilliant experiences, like ours for 3 nights at Shade. Oooops, more than that with our late check out before flying back to Australia. Thank you, we will be back.

Room Tip: It can be noisy if there is a party in the courtyard.....if you have the party yourself you will be...
1 Thank Terri L
Dear Terri,

First, it was such a pleasure to meet you and thank you so much for giving me the the opportunity to rectify the problems you experienced. We are not always perfect but perfection is what we are striving for on a daily basis. I am so happy to hear you had a lovely and warm stay with us here in sunny Manhattan Beach and got to escape that 'polar vortex' for a little while. It was my pleasure to make you feel as comfortable as possible and we absolutely can’t wait to have you back!
Ojai, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Location is an A+, you can walk right down to the pier with plenty of dining and shopping options along the way . Stayed in deluxe spa room with large aeration tub, a must. The room was spacious, clean, and appreciated the attention to details like the river stone shower floor and black out curtains.
It was busy there with the Great Gatsby Party for New Years but the staff was still very attentive and the valet very helpful. Can't wait to go back.
I gave the value only very good just because it was New Years and the price is relative. But the following night was Excellent value for the quality of accommodations.

Room Tip: The Deluxe Spa Rooms furthest from Zinc offer great privacy and quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Shaunna M, General Manager at Shade Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Hello!

We are so happy to hear you already cannot wait to come back to visit us! Attention to detail was a priority when Shade Hotel was built. From smaller details such as the blackout curtains and river stones decorating our showers to the more noticeable items like our large Sanijet tubs and mood lighting we believe it all adds up to give you the fabulous stay you deserve! We are thrilled to be your home away from home and can not wait to see you again in the future. Last, thank you for joining us for our New Year's celebration. The event was an absolute success and it could not have been so incredible without all of our amazing guests.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manhattan Beach
Hi View Inn & Suites
Hi View Inn & Suites
#4 of 9 in Manhattan Beach
The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel

Been to Shade Hotel? Share your experiences!