“Very Very Cool ... But Not Cheap”
Review of Shade Hotel

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Reviewed May 27, 2013

There is no doubt that Shade is very cool. The rooms are big and funky (although they need somewhere to hang towels!). The bar is very laid back and full of beautiful people (yours truly excepted) and the location (just a couple of blocks from the beach) is perfect.

But it all comes at a steep price and check out is a very stingy 11.00 (the front desk called me to ask if I needed help with my bags which really meant ... clear out of the room pdq)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bowth
There are newer reviews for Shade Hotel

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed one night in May 2013. Friendly staff, ok rooms, ok location. No view but the room was big. The bed, airco and furniture is used and will need upgrade soon. The breakfast was late, the staff seemed surprised I needed a spoon for the yoghurt and they tried to charge me for a coffee they told me was complementary. Really relaxed and friendly hotel, but it's all in the details.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Trankkis
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Shade provided one of my most memorable experiences in Manhattan Beach. Ken at the front desk was personable and accomodating.
After bumming around at the beach all day my boyfriend and I decided to get food and drinks in the lobby bar ZINC. What a treat! Fun cocktails and great food! The atmoshere was reaxing and inviting. Even though we looked like bums, we were treated like royalty by Jordan. We had a couple special requests and he made them happen.
We will be back, hopefully sooner than later!!!
Thank you Ken and Jordan! I love my sand sculpture!!!!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank miajustine
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Beautiful hotel and rooms with a great bar scene. The staff was very accommodating and informative about the area. Especially Samantha who took care of us in the Zinc Lounge and informed us where to enjoy Manhattan Beach afterwards. I met Jeffrey who is part of the hotel and he took great care of me. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who travels this way.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed at the Shade on an overnight. Nice hotel and great service. The room is well appointed and comfortable. Manhattan Beach looks like fun! I walked down main street to the pier and it was full of happy people and tons of restaurants and I even saw young kids skateboarding around with friends after dark like it was the safest place. Looks great to spend a weekend. It was very close to the airport. I had a drink at the Zinc lounge downstairs, good cocktails, friendly helpful bartender. I will come back with my family.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed at Shade for a long weekend of business and pleasure.

From beginning to the end, whether it be the valet, concierge, any of the great bartenders at zinc, all of them met you with a smile and a genera interest in making your trip the best possible.

Every single person I asked for a suggestion on something went above and beyond to give me a wide range of suggestions off property, and all of them were always right on the mark.

The property is gorgeous, the food and drinks at zinc are on point, and i cannot recommend this hotel above. Anyone that finds a flaw with a hotel like this in genera is looking too hard. Perfection.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Matthew T
Reviewed April 3, 2013

If only every little beach community had one of these. Yes it's an aspiring glam boutique small hotel like you might find in Miami Beach, but it's more like the feeling of living in a Melrose Place. Group living, communal living, ideas not viable on the East coast seems possible in Manhattan Beach California and at The Shade Hotel you have a deluxe little weird abode waiting for you. It's a hotel room face it. Like any room I guess, but with a bath in the middle of it. The bath has a row of lights above which change " chakra " colors- red is for passion. The Shade would be quite the place to have a romantic escapade! However, there on the trundle bed was my 9 year old son.

Manhattan Beach is the most fun of the beach communities up and down the coast because of the quality of the water (it's clean) the quality of the food (off the hook) and the quality of life. There is no crime in MB and you could not feel safer on vacation anywhere in America. So keep that in mind those of you with families. Malibu has the right beach vibe and a deft fried fish place off the main highway but at nearby Zuma beach there were tar balls under the sand. Venice Beach is the East Village of the lot; a must visit but not a place to walk about at night. Manhattan Beach is just right.

When in Venice Beach you will want to eat at Jailina a slightly pretentious but tasty spot with a pretty back garden and great people watching. Service is spotty. One steak never made it to the table but my wife didn't mind sitting next to one of the hunky Survivor cast offs " Oz " I believe was his name.

When you come across a Umi Burger it Ca eat one! Fun Japanese take on a hamburger chain with fresh meat ground to the hour and wild combinations- makes burgers fun! We sampled the Umi burger at The Grove, a shopping area a bit inland.

In Manhattan beach the wings at Simmzy's Pub really are the best! A lot of places say that but Simmzy's delivers- they are plumped up somehow- way plump and in a sauce that's hard to describe. Perfectly not hot while of course being hot with a real homemade blue cheese to dip in. Hard to find local micro brews, delicious IPA's pour freely from taps which takes this lunch spot to new levels. The money is so flowing in here w/ the wings, the owners of Simmzy's have opened the hot spot in town and the place where we had our best meal in California.

MB Post- You'll want to book this one folks! A chef has been turned loose here and the take is a crazy Asian fusion mixed with Southern, a combination that you will have not seen before. The food at MB Post does what food often fails to do these days- it excites! Each plate brings a table full of sampling and commentary and oohs and ahhs. And it's reasonable (you can bring your own wine) Top to bottom MB Post is a dinner you plan a vacation around.

When you do commit to a big spend some of the best Sushi ever can be found at The Izaka-ya by Katsu-ya. We noticed folks lining up at eleven for lunch which is usually a good sign! Go on the back end they serve till 2:30 and be prepared for mind blowing Sushi. The type of sushi that reminds you of the never ending possibilities of sushi.

Breakfast at Uncle Bill's Pancake House. If ever there was a hangover cure in Uncle Bill's. You must get those potatoes! The ones with everything in the mix, peppers, sour cream oh that cheese! Lots of American cheese... bacon bits it comes in a huge plate, I'm starting to tear up as I write this-- it's sooo tasty. Unlimited coffee as well-- one walks out of Uncle Bob's Pancake House staggered as if drunk.

The shopping is plentiful and fun in MB with surf shops selling unique T's and shorts and boutiques that have a nice selection of odd stuff. - Back to the Shade Hotel for quick recharges is so easy-- you can run up to go to the bathroom from the beach. Central location and a nice comfy bed make the Shade the perfect place for a short stay in Manhattan Beach. We did get a note at the end of our stay from management thanking us for our visit and mentioning that one must fully close the sliding balcony door when smoking outside on the balcony or be punished with a large cleaning fee- The Ole' $500 can of spray.

My wife found this very odd since neither of us smoke and find the habit quite disgusting! I stood there remembering the fine time I had alone on the balcony after visiting with a local friend with a bad back situation after he visited his legal dispensary for marijuana.

"Well this is obviously a mistake" I said crumpling up the note; " We won't make a big stink about it: We're bigger than that " and so is The Shade Hotel. -largeman

Room Tip: We like West facing good sun in afternoon quiet courtyard used for Green market on Tuesdays.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Best Western Plus Manhattan Beach Hotel
Manhattan Beach Marriott
Manhattan Beach Marriott
#6 of 9 in Manhattan Beach

Been to Shade Hotel? Share your experiences!