“Very Average for the price”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Shade Hotel

Shade Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Zionsville, Indiana
“Very Average for the price”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband booked this hotel as a surprise for me. With the hotel room came a spa package with two massages, continental breakfast and champagne and strawberries that come to the room. My husband wasn't told you had to book the massage ahead of time, so they were booked when we arrived on Saturday at 1pm. The champagne/strawberries was delivered one hour after we requested it. The strawberries were frozen solid, so we couldn't enjoy them. The continental breakfast was mediocre at best, they should offer a breakfast casserole, better fruit, and the buffet set up on the bar from the previous night was a bit unappetizing. Overall, dissappointment from the start to end.....Valet service slow and disorganized. Room, trendy, nice, but nothing extravagant, view nothing spectacular... We will not go back because there are better places to stay with nicer views and better service in general. The manager did credit the two massages back to my husband after our requesting this be done.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MEWEHR1977

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks after my son had stayed several times last year. In the idyllic setting of Manhattan Beach, this hotel has its own real charm. The bedroom was beautifully designed, I loved my daily jacuzzi bath, and every comfort has been thought of. It's a busy, lively hotel but I had a real sense of privacy when in my room. I also loved being able to sit up on the Skydeck, complete calm and relaxation. Above all, the service is second to none - the lovely staff were very keen (but in a lovely gentle way) to ensure that all my needs were taken care of, whether it was the owner, the front desk or the cleaning team. They really made this a truly unforgettable trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 16, 2013

My mother and I spent Thanksgiving weekend at the Shade. We chose it for the location, and on that front, it really can't be beat. It's just a few blocks up from the ocean and right around the corner from great shopping and restaurants. I love the community of Manhattan Beach and the Shade drops you right in the midst of it. The design is boutique-y, replete with wildly comfortable beds, balconies/patios, and luxurious showers, towels, and robes. The "fire cyclones" and "chromotherapy" are novel.

We arrived early and were put in room 101. We were cozy and content there until 8:30 or so, when the DJ started to play. My mother was still on east coast time, so we were cozying up reading and relaxing, soon to head to sleep. When the beat dropped, we looked up from our books at each other and started to laugh. Room 101 is the first one out the door from the bar and we could hear every word sung - I'm surprised the room wasn't vibrating (the room door was, when I put my ear to it). Some of the rooms give on to a stone courtyard, which the glass doors of the bar area open onto. The noise ricochets around this arena unbuffered.

Luckily, there was still a room open on the far-end, second-floor, corner of the courtyard, and the front desk nicely let us decamp to that one. My mom could sleep, but I could still sing along with every song (Adele's "Rolling in the Deep," Annie Lennox "Walking on Broken Glass"...). Near 11', I went to the front desk in person, getting dressed to cross the bar full of PYTs to do so. They promised the DJ would stop soon, and I asked if this would happen again tomorrow because if so, we wouldn't be able to stay. The manager said that the DJ happens every Friday and Saturday, unfortunately, and that the manager above her would be in touch with us tomorrow to discuss our options. They were true to their word as to the end-time - the DJ did stop both nights before 11:30pm - but we did not hear from any management the next day.

My mother was really liking the beach, so we decided to stay on until Sunday and to just stay up that night until the music ended. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, right? So we had an early drink in the bar that night (delicious drinks, amiable bartenders), and walked around town until closer to the time the DJ would stop. This DJ was at least spinning better music (Lauryn Hill, Frank Ocean), so at least I had something to bop my head along to as I read in my room until it was quiet enough to sleep.

Breakfast at the Shade is delicious and decadent. Coffee is strong and never-ending. Cozying up to the space heaters on the patio at night is lovely.

All around, I enjoy the Shade, but I will not stay there again unless I'm going to the beach in order to party past midnight. In a hotel of this class, guests should be able to sleep when they choose, especially jet-lagged ones. Many NYC hotels straddle the nightlife/luxury stay divide well - but those places have the bass pumping on the first floor, with rooms high above it, rather than pouring out glass doors onto a stone courtyard which the rooms circle. A hotel is in large part, by definition, a place to sleep when you are away from home. That a hotel fails to do provide that large part of its purpose leaves the Shade lacking significantly, no matter how nice the location and accomodations. If you're going to Manhattan Beach for the nightlife, or booking the Shade for a bachelorette weekend, you'll have no reservations. For a quiet weekend with your mum, though, try Air BnB :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dana Point, California, United States
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This is THE place to stay in Manhattan Beach/South Bay. A serenely intimate sea breezy design that makes the exclusive not pretentious. Superb food and beverage from the Zislis Group perfectly complements a guest room that looks as good inside as the views to the outside. Valentines Day, here we come!

Room Tip: Corner suites are superb. Book away from the lounge if you want to turn in early.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Randy H
Philadelphia
Reviewed February 5, 2013

So let me start by saying that Shade is very cute, but I would not give it a full four stars as compared to other resorts I would rate with a four star rating. However, I don't think it's a three star either, really somewhere in between but don't have that option to pick during the review process.

As others have stated, there are some really positive elements:
- Location is perfect and literally in the middle of the manhattan beach town and a 5 mins walk from the beach. It has plenty of places around to grab a bite, drinks or shop for cute beachy things.
- Service was good, very friendly and helpful.

Some oddities:
- The rooms while cool, do look a little funky with the giant tub in the middle. It was fine with me and my husband, but can see how it could be weird if it was a couple not quite comfortable with each other yet or friends.
- The hotel is right next door to a parking lot and there is considerable activity in the morning with cars/trucks etc.

Overall, Shade is still a cute, trendy place and given there are not many other options with the location, it's still a do!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LoveLuxuryHotels
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 30, 2013

A really great hotel for a slew of reasons. #1- awesome location. Everything in MB is in walking distance. #2- the style of the rooms/restaurant is hip but clean and functional. You're comfortable but feel sexy as well. #3- the attached restaurant/bar has truly fantastic food & drink. I figured it would be like most hotel dining options, fine/okay/passable, but it was topic notch. For once I didn't feel lazy for not venturing out to find local mom-n-pop gems. We've stayed 3 times (I think?) and there'll absolutely be a 4th!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Boonton, New Jersey
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great room, great bar, great staff!!! We stayed here for a long a weekend and really enjoyed everything about it. The beds and pillows are amazing! The complimentary bike rentals are nice to ride on the strand. The location of the Shade is pretty awesome too, right by a bunch of great restaurants and bars!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 19 in Redondo Beach
Hotel Hermosa
Hotel Hermosa
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to Shade Hotel? Share your experiences!