“Outstanding view and good food”
Review of Beaches - CLOSED

Beaches
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
Grand Rapids, MI
“Outstanding view and good food”
Reviewed May 7, 2009

A bunch of us on a business trip made our way to Beaches for dinner. We chose the place for the view of Manhattan beach, the pier and a stunning sunset brewing over the ocean. The restaurant is on the second floor and has unobstructed views.

Whle the facility is rather dated, we enjoyed our server very much, and the food was delicious. Portions were very generous and out of a party of 6 every one was happy with their meals. One hearty soul ordered a seafood Ceasar salad that was enormous.

Unlike some of the other comments I read on this site every entry was very well done. The only comment many of us had was that the chef must really like garlic. The butter that came with the bread was loaded with it. The good news was that the bread was just fine without it (big compliment here...).

This spot is just 15 minutes from LAX - couldn't have been a better way to spend our last few hours in LA.

1 Thank Foo-D-GR

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Nice view with average food.”
Reviewed December 10, 2007

Nice view with average food.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“good views of the beach...”
Reviewed December 6, 2007

good views of the beach upstairs.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Los Angeles
“Enjoy the View, Beware the Food”
Reviewed October 1, 2007

Beaches has a lovely location, but now enjoys the distinction of being the setting for the worst meal of my life. I'll keep it short: I ordered the cold seafood/Ceasar salad, which sounded like a simple dish of Ceasar salad topped wth mixed fresh fish and shellfish. What arrived was literally Lost in Translation: a plate of lettuce covered with a huge, lumpy pile that looked way too much like dog vomit. Oversized scallops and fish chunks were drowning in a mediocre Ceasar dressing, so unappetizing I could hardly touch it. The dish was rimmed with tired mussels and clams, plus tomato slices that were surprisingly fresh and red considering the company they keep. No sign of the shrimp that were in the description. Basically, Beaches took dish that should be simple and fresh and made it as horrifying as possible.
My friend had the chicken Ceasar, uninspired, but at least the chicken wasn't gasping for air.
Another note: The downstairs bar smells like it could use a good scrubbing. When you enter the restaurant (into a reception area that's an odd waste of space), the smell of stale beer wafts up from below. Welcome!

3 Thank Foodie707
Manhattan Beach, California
“Great Potential For The Day/Poor Night Time Execution”
Reviewed March 17, 2007

The view at this place is awesome. The food is big hit or big miss. March 2007 Saturday afternoon, 3 pm, my wife and I ate there and had a fantastic meal. I told many of our friends what a fantastic experience we had.
The next week we went back for dinner and ate at 7pm. I ordered the same food we had the previous week. It was terrible, to the point if being inedible.
The bartender was shooting baskets with beer bottles like he was in a road house bar. The clatter was jarring.
Our waiter and his assistant were very kind. The bus help offered to move us further from the bar. They told us that the night chef was not as good as the day chef.
This place needs a competent night time crew. The meal I had in the afternoon had world class greatness. Night time was the pits. It's no wonder that a place with this fantastic view location is only about 1/3 full during a beautiful sunset.

2 Thank Mid-40-married