“Gastronomical Excellence”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 9th Street
Transit: Complimentary Ocean Express trolley service is available from LAX area hotels to various stops in and around Manhattan Beach. For more information, call 310.642.7851.
Description: Circa is a collaboration between owner Michael Zislis, Consulting Chef Octavio Becerra, Executive Beverage Directors Julian Cox and Josh Goldman, with Executive Chef Bryon Freeze. The menu is designed for sharing and focuses on bold international flavors that are inspired by the global flavors that make Los Angeles a vibrant culinary epicenter.
Portsmouth, Rhode Island
“Gastronomical Excellence”
Reviewed May 21, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Circa has a relaxed but refined feel to it when you enter. The service was great. The food was from locally grown farms and was exceptionally fresh and tasty. Variety of entrees ranged from Lamb ragu' to blackened octopus. The roasted brussels sprouts and kale salad were terrific additions. My wife said all the food was presented so well it was to pretty to eat. When we visit Manhattan Beach again we will definitely dine at Circa. I highly recommend you try this restaurant.

Visited May 2014

San Francisco, California
“Cozy Club, Delicious Small Plates”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

A few months back this was a Mexican restaurant. It’s been revamped into a very cozy, clubby experience with couches around low tables and small plates to share. The small plates are on the pricey side and the food is very good. Steamed buns are really the best ever. The margaritas are well made and this is definitely a place were celebrities hang out. Excellent service and great location.

• Visited March 2014
Torrance, California
“A Southbay Gem”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I went two times to this restaurant during the special restaurant week, Dine LA. I was so pleasantly surprised at how great the food was. Everything was so tasty and well presented. There was a vibrant bar scene.

• Visited January 2014
Palm Springs, California
“Who knew brussels sprouts could be so good!!!”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Well bacon makes anything taste good. I totally dig the small plates, each with a different taste. The charcuterie, though slim in portion size, is a great start along side the biggest and tastiest brussels sprouts ever! The fried chicken, pork boa, and duck tacos are delicious. I don't like kale but the rest of my family loved the kale, and the home-made Phil Collins. No one but my husband had room left over for the home made churros, but we all ate them. Delicious!

I recommend it highly but also that you get a table and chairs or you may find yourself sharing a sofa and table with others.

• Visited January 2014
Santa Monica, California
“Not feeling it from this latest Michael Zislis restaurant...”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Just not feeling it. This is the new Michael Zislis owned replacement to his previous Mucho Ultima. My wife and I were huge Mucho fans and we ate there often. I will admit that towards the end, Mucho's food quality changed substantially. They changed the menu up, brought in a new chef - dishes weren't consistent - and we weren't happy with the direction it was going. The huge crowds on Friday and Saturday nights started diminishing and it was no surpise when we saw it shuttered one day with the news of Circa to take its place.

We dined at Circa a week or two after they opened. We were happy to see our favorite server from Mucho was still working there and waited our table! The service was excellent - I give that a 5/5.

We started with the Baba Ganoush with charred brussel sprouts. We also split the charred octopus to start. Both were good but I didn't particularly care for the seasoning of the octopus. Nothing stood out as amazing, especially when you're thinking in the back of your mind, you'd rather eat these dishes at MB Post down the street albeit for more $.

For our entrees my wife ordered lamb sirloin and pretty sure I ordered duck but not seeing it on the menu now. Again, I didn't care for the flavors and seasoning of the dishes. We left feeling full and were happy to catch up with one of the servers we knew from Mucho but outside of that I don't have any strong desire to go back.

This is one of those places that I really had higher expections for. We'll try it out again in a few months and hopefully it will leave us more impressed. If it does, I'll certainly revise my review accordingly.

Visited September 2013