“Excellent food and service”
Review of Cafe Pierre - CLOSED

Cafe Pierre
Cuisines: European, French, Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Highland Ave.
Reviewed September 14, 2012

A small but cozy restaurant in the heart of downtown Manhattan Beach. Not an extensive food list, but some excellent choices. Very good wine list. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Have a nice meal and stroll downtown MB, enjoy a after dinner drink at one of the many restaurant/bars within walking distance.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

We'd have never found this gem in between the loud drinking bars on Manhattan Beach Blvd. We're glad we found it on Open Table. Everything was great, obviously the chef cares about the quality of his food. The service was fine, atmosphere nice -- a real hidden gem.

ps. the extensive wine list has some great 1/2 bottles. We have never seen a 1/2 bottle of Opus One available, let alone a 2003 vintage.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We've enjoyed Cafe Pierre in years past. Busy, friendly, handsome cafe atmosphere with obvious pride of ownership. Fun great dinners with group of 10, as well as enjoyable dinner with family of 5. Last night was just the two us. Me wanting to taste again the great Steak au Poivre with pommes frites. My wife preferred a pasta, and she chose Wild Boar Ragu. We made our 7:45 Sunday night reservation on Open Table. Greeted by friendly and attentive hostess. I noticed the bar was nearly empty, unlike the other bars up and down Manhattan Beach Blvd, during stroll to pier before dinner. The restaurant itself was maybe a quarter full. Our waiter, while prompt and efficient, engaged little when we asked about the wine "I guess so...," and he actually seemed put-off when we asked him to lower the techno-beat music volume, which was a bit loud for dining. My wife enjoyed sparkling water, and I the white wine flight tasting from an extensive and impressive wine list. The heart of romaine salad was fresh and came with tasty anchovy dressing. When the steak arrived it was as beautiful as I remembered. Small filet covered in pepper sauce with adjacent mound of freshly cooked, thin-cut fries. We both enjoyed the fries immediately. But my steak was under-cooked and needed to go back to the kitchen. The Ragu sauce was tasty, but the noodles were gummy. On the way out, we noticed the bill folder touted the 2008 Best 75 in LA award, as well as decade old reviews and charming photos of Julia Child. We wondered if this was just an off night, or if time was passing our old beach favorite by.

1  Thank cmjincc
Reviewed May 29, 2012

If I didn't enjoy cooking for myself, I'd probably eat at Cafe Pierre almost every night. Love the quality and variety; there are comfort foods (mussels, frisee salad), and creative offerings (the jars and appetizers), and delicious entrees. If you are traveling solo, eat at the bar. Polished and friendly service. You will have fun here and enjoy a great meal!

Reviewed March 21, 2012

Pretends To be more than what It is, and is quite expensive from what You get.

Nice people working there, but The food doesn't really make great changes.

From my Point Of view could clearly improve. Location is great, Team are nice and Work hard To give You a good time.