“LOTS of people, beach town ambience, average food”

Uncle Bill's Pancake House
Cuisines: Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This is a very popular Manhattan Beach breakfast joint with a large and passionate following, but I sure don't understand why. The food is OK, nothing particularly special, but there is outdoor seating on the walk-street with a view down to the beach, if you like that. It's a long wait, but the locals seem to think it's worth it. I did not.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Way overrated! Ordered eggs and waffle combo. Those waffles looked like they came out of the supermarket's frozen section. They tasted horrible. Service is very busy. Do not expect too much! Prices are high and the portions are barely adequate. I had portions double of what they serve South of Los Angeles. Parking is a nightmare! Expensive and like a merry go round with musical chairs. What a disaster! Will never go back!

1  Thank Quoizimodo
Reviewed April 20, 2013

All the food was great, pancakes are the best (I had pumpkin spice). Must be a great place, always packed I hear, real busy when we got there. Sat inside and service was great.

Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Ate breakfast here today based on trip advisor reviews. What a treat it was! The corned beef hash, eggs and hash browns were great. Of course served with two buttermilk pancakes. Sat on the patio with a view of the Pacific ocean. Don't miss it!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We asked our hotel concierge where to eat great pancakes, and their #1 recommendation was Uncle Bills. We were so glad we found it!

On our first visit we all tried some pancakes, and they were pretty standard yummy pancake fare. The macadamia pancakes were our favorite. I ordered the Mitch's Scramble ("a concoction of eggs, mild green chiles, and cream cheese"), and it was so creamy and flavorful. But hands down, our favorite thing that we bought to share was the Potatoes Del Riego. The description on the menu -- "Hash browns sauteed with Crumbled Bacon and Melted American Cheese, topped with Sour Cream... Add in Bell Peppers, Onions & Avocado" -- hardly does it justice. I don't know how they cook the potatoes, but they were perfectly crispy without being too greasy. The flavors were incredible. When we returned to Manhattan Beach a month later, our first priority was getting back to Uncle Bill's for another helping of those hash browns!

The staff was also very friendly and helpful. On our first visit my four-year-old was tired and hungry and starting to have a meltdown as we were seated, and they kindly brought her a muffin to tide her over (thus saving all our sanity, I'm sure).

I would recommend Uncle Bill's to anyone going anywhere near Manhattan Beach!