“Always good but not cheap”
Review of Houston's

Houston's
Ranked #14 of 191 Restaurants in Manhattan Beach
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Always good but not cheap”
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Always good and always a little to medium wait to be seated even on a weeknight. Fast friendly service. Good sushi, sandwiches and salads. A reliable place for a business or weeknight dinner.

Colorado
“Good Food, but pricey”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The food here is very well prepared. Steak was done exactly as ordered. However, be prepared for a sticker shock. When I went, service was slow, but it appered they knew it and were trying to compensate as best they could. Therefore - no ding against them. It was quite noisy as other reviewers have commented, primarily due to the fact that the tables are in a large open room. Overall, I would come back here, but only when I have saved up some more money. I suggest reservations though, since it was very busy.

Visited July 2013
Hermosa Beach, California
“Unbelievably rude manager and staff! STAY AWAY!”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Unbelievably rude manager and staff! If you want to be abused eat here otherwise STAY AWAY! This place does not deserve anyone's business!

This restaurant takes table turnover to levels that make assembly lines look quant.

We had not dined at this location in a few years and thought that it would be ideal for a casual evening out with friends for a good steak and drinks.

We arrived at about 8:45pm and gave our name to the maître d' and we were told to expect a 30-40 minute wait. No problem, we decided to have a round of drinks in the bar. The four of us sat at one of the small elevated bar tables and we were greeted by a waitress who took our drink orders. Up until this point we were enjoying ourselves. About 2 minutes later another waitress stops by and removes the candle from the table - when we asked why she said it was to make room for us to have dinner. We said that we were just having drinks (which had not arrived yet) and that we were waiting for a table.

'Oh no", she said, 'the bar tables are for dinner only when we have a wait'.

OK, we said, we'll order an appetizer then.

Once, again we got the, "Oh no, you have to order a full dinner to sit at this table!"

REALLY! We just order $35 of drinks and we were prepared to order another $20 or so in appetizers so that we could wait another 20-30 minutes for our table in the main dining room where we would then likely spend another $200+ on dinner and more drinks and that was not enough!?!?!

OK, I said, we'll move as soon as we get and pay for the round of drinks that we ordered. The waitress continued to go on that we HAD to move now at which point we were all feeling pretty oppressed by her aggressiveness so I dismissed her and she left the table.

Within 1 minute or less another girl showed up and told us that we had to leave the table NOW because it was for dining only - just as the other waitress that took our drinks was quietly placing them on the table in front of us. Now I was getting more than a little annoyed and told the second girl that it wasn't like we were just camping out at the table and that we would move as soon as we had the bill to pay for our drinks.

The drink bill was delivered to the table within a minute and at about the same time yet ANOTHER girl shows up insisting that we need to get up from the table - this while we are putting the money down for the $34 drink tab! Now this is absolutely insulting!

We get up and move away from the table with our drinks in hand. We were all now thoroughly annoyed. I approached the maître d' and asked to speak with the manager who as it turns out was the last girl to aggressively try to shoo us off the table in the bar. I confronted her about the ridiculous treatment that we had just been through as paying customers. I told her that after we were seated and greeted at a bar table which is normally open seating for bar patrons that the waitress that took our drink order made no mention that the bar tables were limited to dining only. I pointed out that we had ordered a round of drinks and we were ready to order appetizers and that having not one, two but THREE people aggressively hassle us within a total of 4 minutes to leave the table was unbelievably rude and inconsiderate.

Her response was to start giving me a lecture about how busy they were and that I should calm down. Right! No apology, I just got a lecture from the manager.

I informed her that we WERE going to eat there and likely spend over $200 for dinner not including our drinks and wine and she just blew me off and said that we could leave if we wanted to! WOW! They just don't give a damm! More business than they know what to do with I guess.

Since we were just starting to drink what we ordered and the fact that we now had no intention of spending another dollar in this place I demanded a full refund of our bar drinks which she processed immediately and we left.

STAY AWAY! This place does not deserve anyone's business!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Bob A
Santa Clarita, California
“The Best Ribs Ever!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is the whole package as far as an eating experience. The food from the appetizers, salads and ribs is fantastic. Unfortunately we were way to full to try a desert. The ambience and service is wonderful. You can go casual or dress whatever your personal occasion is. The only downside is once you try their ribs you can't settle for ribs at other joints. Plus great wine list.

• Visited July 2013
London
“Great crab cakes”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Shame that they have a no reservations policy, but they are so busy that it should not be a surprise that they don't need to. We went there at 6 pm on a Friday evening and there was already a line, but they found us a table at the end of the bar, which was fine. I had the crab cakes as always with the grain mustard sauce, they were as excellent as ever, though I was not crazy about the coleslaw, but then, who ever is?

• Visited June 2013