“Enjoyed our stay”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto
Reviewed July 13, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for four nights in June. We had requested a quiet room which was a good idea since rooms in the front would be very noisy from street traffic. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Staff were friendly and helpful. Complimentary hot breakfast was nice too!

Location was good too! Within walking distance is the mall/plaza and the beach and airport is not far away. Sure beats fighting traffic to get to the beach every day, if that's on the agenda.

Overall, this stay was enjoyable and would stay here again next time we come.

Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed July 12, 2006

My husband and I just spent 3 nights at this hotel. We paid $109 a night which was a great deal compared to other places in the area. Our room was clean. We did not have a one-bedroom but the room was spacious. A desk area, kitchenette with sink, cupboards, microwave, and fridge), sleeper sofa, and queen bed. We were able to check in a couple hours early without a problem but when we arrived in the room some sort of air purifier machine was going strong in the middle of the room. So...we unplugged it and put it aside. They called up to the room on our third night after 10 p.m. to see if we had the machine in our room because they were looking all over for it. (Obviously they hadn't kept track of where they had put it and for two days the nice lady who cleaned our room hadn't noticed it was sitting by the door). We told them they could get it in the morning. The shower was a bit strange and took some getting used to but was at least clean (compared to some of the other places we have stayed). It was very slippery (hold on tight when getting in and out). We had to duck to get under the showerhead (and we are not tall). At first we thought we didn't have hot water but then realized if the knob was turned to cold you got hot water. The hotel was quiet the first two nights but the third night there was construction on Sepulveda right outside the hotel and we had to listen to trucks and jackhammering all night (not the hotel's fault obviously but a bit irritating). There was usually one person, sometimes two, working at the hotel at a time. There was one woman (we think her name was Lisa) who was extremely helpful with directions (best routes to avoid traffic) as well as tips on where to go when we had some down time. The computer/internet with laser printer in the lobby area was available to use as we needed. Free underground parking was a great plus because everywhere else we had to go we had to pay to park. We ate breakfast at the hotel two mornings. We mainly stuck to a bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee. We aren't huge "breakfast people" so it was okay for us but if you are looking for a great breakfast, you'll have to go elsewhere. It was nice sitting in the courtyard area while having our breakfast. Nice and relaxing. The hotel is about a mile from the beach. It is walkable as long as you are up for a "hilly" walk. Or, you can drive down and parking is easy to find (at meters). Although the hotel is situated on a busy main road, once you go toward the ocean it is a beautiful residential community with shops and restaurants. The beach is the best we saw of all the surrounding beaches. We would recommend this hotel to others if they are looking for a clean, friendly place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank need2relax
Reviewed July 5, 2006

We stayed at this motel on the last night of our 16 day trip primarily because we wanted to be close to the airport. We checked in around 4PM and the girl at the front desk was very friendly and offered up dining recommendations which were great.

We reserved a ONE BEDROOM DELUXE KING SUITE which was great for me, my husband & 2 kids. It had a very comfy king size bed in the bedroom & a sofa bed in the living room. Two TVs and a kitchen. It had free WiFi which always had a great connection. They also have a service that you can email your documents from your laptop for printing or you can use the computer in the lobby with a printer connected to it. It was great for us since we were able to print our boarding passes.

The room & everything in it was super clean and looked quite new.

They offer a free hot breakfast which was better than I expected. The Manhattan Beach Pier is les than 5 mins. away & the airport is about 5 miles away.

Everything was perfect EXCEPT that I should have requested a room away from Sepulveda Ave. Our windows faced the street and the noise from traffic was clearly heard all night. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again I would just make sure to get an off street room.

• Stayed: June 2006
Reviewed March 2, 2006

I am extremely particular about the cleanliness of a hotel. I notice if there are crumbs or stains on the carpets, strands of hair on the bed or grout inbetween the bathroom tiles so whenever we travel I meticulously do my research on hotels available, reading review after review after review. The Hawthorne Suites is definitely a no frills hotel. You unload your own luggage and in the evenings the front desk person is housekeeping, concierge, reception all rolled into one. We checked in in the evening - after a 13 hour flight! - and we had to go back down to the front desk to pick up the crib for our daughter and also the bedsheets to make the sofa bed for our son. So, if service is what you are after, you are better off staying at one of the more upscale five star hotels. However, Hawthorne Suites passed my cleanliness standards and it was perfect for us as we were travelling with two small children. The breakfast was pretty good too. If you are looking for a clean, comfortable, conveniently located hotel, then I would definitely recommend it. We will stay there again the next time we are in town.

• Stayed: January 2006
8  Thank ringo99
Reviewed February 28, 2006

First the good: Free wireless, free parking, free hot breakfast, free beer, wine and cheese at night. Good location (Manhattan Beach is a few blocks away, LAX about 5 minutes). Once inside, courtyard is private and pleasant. Great prices.

Now the not so good: About 3 feet from very busy street. Barest rooms I've ever seen in a suite hotel; absolutely nothing homey: no silverware, no dishes, and the barest of toiletries. No pool or jacuzzi. But all in all, a great bargain for the price, and a much better place to stay than the normal LAX hotels.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank Emerson_Golden
Reviewed February 27, 2006

Clean, Quiet, Dark rooms-excellent as we arrived after travelling for 17 hours and needed to rest. Very spacious rooms-comfortable beds. Breakfast was a little boring but great when you are hungry. Very convenient location.
Will definately come back.

• Stayed: December 2005
2  Thank neadzil
Reviewed September 27, 2005

I stayed for ten days while on vacation. I am from the area and know my way around. I was not at all perturbed by the entrance and exit for parking as a previous poster was; new properties in Los Angeles have no choice but to build in such a manner. So the entrance to parking is "off a busy street." Sepulveda/Pacific Coast Hwy is a main thoroughfare. What is remarkable is that in my room on the far side of the property, I heard no traffic noise whatsoever. I could hear the low din of my neighbor's television set better than I could hear traffic. Easily remedied by turning on the AC fan.

Clean, quiet, convenient . . . I experienced no customer service problems (in fact, the night clerk carried a heavy box of books to my room for me when I arrived). I found staff friendly. I bought my own coffee filters and bought some Starbucks coffee because I hate Maxwell House. I found my own utensils at a fast food place. Having a refrigerator was convenient. Free wireless internet made my time alone much more productive. I was entirely pleased with what I got for the price and will stay at this property again when I return in the winter to visit friends!

• Stayed: September 2005
#1 of 9 in Manhattan Beach
Hotel Hermosa
Hotel Hermosa
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to Best Western Plus Manhattan Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!