“Pleased with my stay”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Delaware
“Pleased with my stay”
Reviewed September 27, 2005

I stayed for ten days while on vacation. I am from the area and know my way around. I was not at all perturbed by the entrance and exit for parking as a previous poster was; new properties in Los Angeles have no choice but to build in such a manner. So the entrance to parking is "off a busy street." Sepulveda/Pacific Coast Hwy is a main thoroughfare. What is remarkable is that in my room on the far side of the property, I heard no traffic noise whatsoever. I could hear the low din of my neighbor's television set better than I could hear traffic. Easily remedied by turning on the AC fan.

Clean, quiet, convenient . . . I experienced no customer service problems (in fact, the night clerk carried a heavy box of books to my room for me when I arrived). I found staff friendly. I bought my own coffee filters and bought some Starbucks coffee because I hate Maxwell House. I found my own utensils at a fast food place. Having a refrigerator was convenient. Free wireless internet made my time alone much more productive. I was entirely pleased with what I got for the price and will stay at this property again when I return in the winter to visit friends!

• Stayed September 2005
1 Thank Schotzy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Reviewed September 2, 2005

The Hawthorn Suites in Manhattan Beach is an extremely clean hotel. My brother and I stayed in a queen suite which had plenty of living space. The room included a fully equipped kitchenette. Our room also included complimentary high speed Internet access - both Wireless & Hard wire! The courtyard was beautiful and breakfast was awsome. Plenty of parking. The service was excellent with a courteous staff - Very Well Trained. Did i mention? the pier is less then 1 mile away! *Do Not Let The Previous Post's Turn You Away From This Hotel* - This Hotel is Definitely A+!*

• Stayed September 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 27, 2005

I was hesitant at first after reading two of the reviews from two prior people. We arrived at the hotel and had no problem checking in. The staff at the desk were knowledgeable about were to go and what to do, they were friendly and very helpful. The rooms had just what we needed, and we didn’t get nickel and dimed for using the internet, parking and a having a great breakfast in the morning. The beds are extremely comfortable. The hotel met all our needs and I would recommend it to everybody. After staying at the hotel, I didn’t experience any of the problems the other two people are claiming. They must have gotten out on the wrong side of the bed.

• Stayed August 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 20, 2005

We arrived at 3:00 to check - in and were told that our room was not ready becuase they had checked so many people in to nonsmoking rooms. I made the reservation a month in advance! We were told that the room would be ready in 20 minutes. One hour later it was still not ready! When we finally did get into the room, they had not put any bedding on the fold-out for our son. No pillows. 2 lights that did not work. When checking out, I signed off for $125.00. They transferred $150.40 for "incidentals" and said it would be reversed in a couple of days! I was told every hotel does it. Bull%*#@! Snotty staff!

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 20, 2005

Have I seen worse in my many years of travel yes. Sadly. Much worse in fact. Do I believe that the reviews can always be right on a public forum usually so. Not here in this case though IMO. I realize each experience will vary based on room type and the actual stay experienced. After reading Trip Advisor reviews I couldn't wait to arrive at this property and I couldn't leave quick enough either for that matter.

For starters one pulls into a parking lot off a very fast moving street that can be dangerous. More so exiting the driveway unless there is a red light. The entrance way to the property is facing the very busy steet (more like a small highway). We tried doors near the parking lot and they were all locked with no signs how or where to enter. Not that it takes rocket science either :)

The front desk clerk after we got her attention had all the charm and welcome of a supermarket cashier here in New York. And that was after arriving and saying out loud after ten minutes of waiting in the lobby is ANYBODY HERE? Finally she came out of the back office. She was the only person that worked in the property at all that day/evening. She answered all phones too. There are no managers on duty at any time on weekends. So when we called we got the same individual each time who knew little and could do nothing. And while she wasn't mean or a bad person just not experienced enough to handle that level of responsibility of running a property on her own. A major concern if you should have a serious enough problem while on property.

Our room was with a short walk through the perfectly nice courtyard.
With that said just think cheap budget condo units. Certainly acceptable, or a cut above a decent motel and a slighty dated Residence Inn without a fireplace. 70s decor all the way with the Casablanca fans on the ceilings and motel mild odor that hits you in the nose the moment you get in the room. Through the window a/c and heating units (which adds a little more noise factor).

The marble bathroom as advertised is mostly ceramic tile and what appears to be a not very attractive marble or imitation. Ok not a major priority anyway. The showerhead came up to my chest which meant bending the shower head into the air(I am tall) to get it to work or one can duck :(

There are no pens in the room. No plastic silverware in the room to use in the kitchen and no stationary of any kind to write on. The cheapest clock radio that has the poorest sound imaginable. Advertised DVD player was not in our room.

The decor of the room is certainly satisfactory though I have seen vastly superior in say a Hilton Garden Inn for far less money and superior value.

We stayed at one Hilton Graden Inn the following night for 67 dollars booked thru hilton[-]. We felt like we had arrived at the Four Seasons after that. Our value was ten fold in service and room quality and outstanding breakfast with fresh fruit and great elite benefits including a suite upgrade!

Two computers that worked and so on. Stunning Gardens.

The housekeepers at Hawthorne were equally as noisy as the guests and awoke us for the 6th time. The housekeepers did their part and woke us in the morning. The other wake ups though the course of the night consisted of guests pounding? rolling in/on the room ceiling above me throughout the night with their kids and the loudest plumbing I have
ever heard at least in recent memory. Toilet flushings regularly through the night

The clock radio alarm from the last guest went off at 5:00 AM :(
I suppose that part of that is my responsibility to check. It has ceratinly happened before at other properties.

Let me see other highlights of Hawthrone M. Beach a business center with one computer and it was damaged and out of order so we were told it was closed at present. A fitness center consists of a tiny room with a few pieces of inferior grade home excercise equiptment.

The thing everyone raved about including reservations was the free excellent breakfast. We walked out after taking one look and went elsewhere. Once again equiptment was out of order in the breakfast room. It was either the coffee machine or ?? But on this one I don't exactly remember I am trying to forget the whole stay actually.

The decor think high school cafeteria though the size of medium size or bigger doctors waiting room. The celebrated breakfast consisted of Froot loops, Corn Flakes, supermarket sliced breads, english muffins, steam table scrambled eggs/ underdone bacon with steamy plastic covers on top. Fruit was of the canned variety like peaches. The only redeeming aspect of this breakfast was the waffle iron where you can make your own waffles.

In our conclusion I suppose it all depends on your expectations in travel and your life experiences as to what you are satisfied with. But even if I minus the fact that there were some unusual situations that may have taken place I can barely find anything positive to say except slighty bigger then average rooms and a guest washer an dryer to use. Perhaps a courtyard to sit in? That is all I can come up with..........OK let me say Free parking is another

And no guest service to speak of with only the one person mentioned working on property until the next day when breakfast is served.............

It is interesting to note when calling Hawthorne Guest relations to share my experience I was told that we have nothing to do with our properties and bare no responsibility whatsoever as they are all individually owned. We have no satisfaction guarantee at Hawthrone. You can file a complaint with the individual hotel but it is up to the hotel to respond and or consider a gesture if at all. You are on entirely on your own!

As I know we won't be returing anytime soon to any Hawthorne Suites in our future we didn't bother to proceed any further. We felt it not worth the effort and a free night at the property is certainly not something we would consider entertaining at present.

We chalked it up to experience and said NEXT!!!

In our extensive travel experience we believe there are a wealth of better choices and great brands that stand behind their service and product.

At Hawthorne let the buyer beware.........

Let me add that if you are a Hyatt Gold Passport member also expect absolutely nothing other then a few skimpy points or miles.

And don't expect them to post. Get to a fax machine handy as we did

We consider this to be a VERY average property in a very nice area and close to LAX. There are exceptional choices out there I would excercise those options we certainly will.

• Stayed July 2005
8 Thank frequentstaydude
Michigan
Reviewed July 10, 2005

We stayed for five nights at the Hawthorn Suites and had an enjoyable experience. The hotel is quiet and quaint. The staff was helpful. There was a computer that residents could use to access the Internet 24-7, at no charge; that was a nice surprise! The daily hot breakfast was good, although there was only 1-2 people at a time to service the meal (washing dishes and cooking the food). So sometimes we had to wait for clean silverware, freshly cooked eggs, bacon, etc. There was a nice courtyard where you could eat in the morning, or just sit quietly reading a book in the afternoon. The suites were nice -- it was good to have an actual door separating the bedroom from the living room/kitchen area. The kitchen was well stocked and had everything you need to cook your own meals during your stay. My only problem with the suite was that it only had one toilet, and one sink -- off the bedroom -- which meant that our young son had to come through our bedroom any time he needed to go to the bathroom. The bathroom was also rather threadbare -- no trash can, no shelving, no soap dish, etc. Other than these little complaints, we had a great stay. We would definitely stay there again.

Sacramento, CA
Reviewed July 1, 2005

Stayed three nights and found the staff and the place overall to be quite nice. Excellent placement for shopping, eating and trips to the beach. Cost $17.00 with tip to and from LAX via taxi. Had room on third floor on the street side. At first thought the noise would make me want to move but with the fans on, soon got used to most of it. WiFi Internet connections good in rooms on this side and floor! The breakfast was OK but after the first day was impressed with the lack of healthy selections (a lot of white bread and greasy items!) There was a big mall within walking distance, where it was easy to get all kinds of great food. Rooms are a bit smaller than they appear in the photos but adequete for small families. Price was good because I got a major discount (check out the options on their web site.)

• Stayed June 2005