“Nice rooms, convenient covered self parking, breakfast ...”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Manhattan Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed June 2, 2013

The half terrible location is based on its location on the street. First, Google misidentifies its location on the East side. It is actually on the West side of the street. Second, it is so easy to miss, it is not easy. I probably circled twice around until I found it. Third, all the lights at the cross-sections are terribly long, so if you come down the wrong street, you will be waiting forever to get back into the right. Fourth, traffic on this road is quite heavy, so getting out of the garage (which is a hazard in and of itself because it is so easy to miss that there is an exit and there is no warning that there might be exiting traffic) is quite difficult.

The half GOOD of the location is that you are within a 5 minute drive of the beach and you are in an affluent area with a lot of good businesses within walking distance.

Complementary breakfast was pretty good, but just the standard stuff you'd expect.
Complementary cookies and fruit are provided at checkin.
Entrances to the room are outdoor (similar to a motel), as opposed to indoor with hallways. Worked out since the weather was fine when I stayed, but keep this in mind if traveling during colder months.
The rooms are very comfortable with a mini-kitchenette and fridge.
Bathrooms are spacious and the shower is very good. Sink is separated from the toilet/shower area.
Electrical ports are a bit hard to come by.
WiFi was strong and fast.
The free parking garage is not terrible. It is under the hotel which is nice, and the spaces are all very wide. The entrance needs to be taken very slow and it is tight and hard to see entering traffic.

Only glaring negative with the hotel is that the keys automatically shutdown at 10:45. Checkout is at 11:00am, which is actually early by today's standards (most hotels now do 12:00pm). I was moving my stuff to and from the garage, thankfully my friend was still in the room because at 10:45 my keys stopped working and I had my friend open the door. Very odd. This needs to be addressed.

Another negative is the cancellation time. Even booking through their website, the cancellation window is up until 48 hours out. The norm for most chain hotels is 24 hours.
Another negative is that the room is prepaid the second you order it on the website. Yes, if you cancel outside of the 48 hour window you are refunded 100%, but most (non Vegas) hotels that you book through the hotels' websites don't charge you until after you stay.

Would I stay here again? No. I think there are plenty more options in the area at a similar price that have better vehicular access and better policies.

Room Tip: The hotel offers a 10% AAA discount on their website.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank tsk9383
HawthornSuitesMB, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Manhattan Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. Manhattan Beach is an upscale community with many sport celebrities calling it home. We have an excellent beach and community that prides itself with all that we have to offer. Sepulveda Blvd is a major street and in rush hour is busy with people trying to get somewhere, sorry for the congestion that you experienced in our neck of the woods in the Los Angeles area. Believe me that it’s no picnic traveling in LA at rush hour or when people are around and about in their cars. It’s just like every other major urban city such as San Francisco, New York, Miami etc…

I’m sorry to hear of Google’s error in the location of the hotel, I will send them an email to correct the misidentification of the hotel on their map. I agree with you that the entrance to the hotel can be tricky if you are new to the area, hopefully being at the intersection of Sepulveda Blvd and 18th St helps. The lights can be long, we always tell our guests that ask to make a right turn out of the property if they are in a rush otherwise the light will turn according to the system that Cal Trans has for the lights and to keep the cars moving on Sepulveda Blvd.

Once you are at the hotel, there are many choices for shopping, dining, and enjoying the beach that are all within a 5 to 10 minute walk. We suggest leaving your car behind, hit the road on your two feet and experience the area, the cool ocean breeze and the warm sun as you stroll down to the beach and the many wonderful shops in the Village.

We try to offer more than the typical breakfast by offering eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, fresh fruit, hot and cold cereals, pastries and bagels, all complimentary. We also offer a social hour Monday – Thursday offering complimentary beer, wine, cheese, crackers, and light a dinner in the evenings. We even have a complimentary masseuse on Wednesday evenings. We strive to provide the best we can offer at a reasonable price and strive to improve on all that we can.

I’m not sure why your key stopped working. Sometimes keys can be deactivated by being placed next to other credit cards or cell phones and have to be reprogrammed. I apologize for the inconvenience. Our keys are set to expire at noon on the day of expected departure. If this happens to you elsewhere please just return to the registration desk and have your key reset by the front desk associate.

Our check out is 11am which is typical but we will always try our best to accommodate anyone that requests a later check out if possible. The cancelation time for any reservation booked directly with us is 24 hrs. If a reservation is booked through another party, they may have a different cancelation policy than us. Please always book direct with the hotel where we can better assist you as your needs may arise. Any reservation booked directly through the hotel is not charged at the time the reservation is booked, typically other booking companies such as Expedia, Travelocity or Hotwire will charge your credit card as soon as you book through them.

There are plenty of hotels to stay at in the area and we thank you for staying with us.
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed here in march and had a few problems with a handicapped accessible room. I had to return to the area a couple of weeks later and reluctantly booked this hotel again based on location. Much to my delight the manager had received my complaints and fixed the problems with the room, making it very comfortable for me to stay here. With a perfect location and attentive staff I will definitely stay here any time I am in the LA/ Manhattan Beach area.

• Stayed April 2013