“Wonderful accommodation at a reasonable price.”

Best Western Plus Manhattan Beach Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I really enjoyed staying at this hotel. I was on a business trip, but because I was going to stay in the L.A. area after my business was concluded for some vacation time, my son was with me on the trip.
The room/suite was spacious and comfortable, with all the extras. The couch even had a pull-out bed where my son slept.
It was very conveniently located close to shopping and restaurants and the service and staff was top notch !! I didn't take advantage of the breakfast, but my son did, and he said it was excellent.
I also found that the hotel had an overall secluded feeling, even though it is located right on Sepulveda Blvd.

All in all, I gave it a rating of Excellent and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Manhattan Beach Hotel

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed in a 2 queen bed suite with my wife and 3 children - since sofabed was only a twin could not accommodate any more guests. Since the reservation was for 5 guests, I expected that the linens for the sofabed would provided the room but had to go down to the front desk and obtain them myself - they were courteous and provided them. The bed linens and towels were worn some were close to having holes through them. Room had a shower/toilet in the bathroom with a sink and mirror outside which was good. There was a small kitchen area with a mini fridge, microwave, sink and a small table for one person to sit.

The breakfast was adequate and the same every day - make it yourself waffles. They had scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage patties & potato patties for hot food. Yogurt, some fruit, bagels, bread, English muffins to toast yourself. Orange juice was watery, also had apple and grapefruit. Coffee machine with various flavored creamers.

Parking was in a small underground garage under the hotel - luckily no one was coming in or out when we left as it would have been difficult to maneuver even with the mirrors provided. I am not a fan of underground parking but we did fine.

Wifi signal was good in the room.

Staff was courteous and responsive to our requests.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LuvtoTravel19
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is my hotel of choice when having international connections out of LAX. The hotel is a 10-15 min drive (~$20 cab) from the airport and is spacious and clean. The staff are helpful and friendly. It is well located by a short walk to shopping malls (Macys, Target and others) and eateries in the area (and also Fry's!). The pier is a 5 min cab ride or 15-20 min walk too.

There are fresh cookies on arrival, an excellent breakfast spread and fast free WIFI. A great experience again and I will return on my next trip to the USA.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed here for four nights whilst visiting Los Angeles in a one bedroom suite. Everything was clean and well presented. The hotel is on a busy street (Sepulveda) and we had a room overlooking the road, the windows are double glazed and kept most of the noise out, can't say it bothered us. Also, located around 15 minutes from LAX make this a great first stop for flyers. There is a Target and a Ralph's quite close by which was useful and the area seemed quite pleasant but not touristy. Manhatten beach is five/ten minutes drive away and is very nice to visit with good shops and restaurants, great beaches and a pier.
Good air conditioning and a well equipped kitchen were welcome and the hotel offers a very good complimentary breakfast including hot food.
Happy to recommend and would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Turnhill
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in a Queen studio room. I would rate this hotel more like 3 and half stars due to couple of things which could be improved to become a 4 star hotel.
Here are the good and what can be improved to be a really 4 star hotel in our experience.
First the good :

Very clean
Nice appointed suite with a suitable size room , excellent bed , modern furniture and TV
Welcome water bottles and cookies were a nice feature
Good breakfast with good selection
Nice courtyard where we enjoyed our breakfast
Relatively close to Beach -driving app 1.2 M
Close to LAX airport (app 5Miles) ,shopping and Downtown Manhattan Beach (app 1.2Miles)
Safe underground parking
Wi-fi in the room
Check in and Check out ok.

What can be improved :

Reception staff - One of the reception staff was rude to my wife ,all should be friendlier
Breakfast room and supplies : it looked that was short of staff as many times food supplies were missing and it took time until were replenished - one day I had to ask for the scrambled eggs and had to wait at least 10 minutes until they managed to bring them in, yogurt was missing and need to wait until they managed to bring more ,etc.

Room Tip: Rooms on the courtyard side have windows to the courtyard and no window in the bedroom.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I have stayed here twice in the last month for a family emergency and the experience was less than satisfactory. First, the cleaning people use several sprays to clean the room. The last is a Fabreze-like spray (per the front desk) which is very heavily overused and toxic in its smell. I had to ask the front desk multiple times to eliminate that spray while I was in occupacy. The hotel was full or I would have insisted that they move me. Secondly, the breakfast and room were pretty sad. The tables were covered with remnants of a previous diner with sticky, gooey messes. The bins of warm food were empty. The containers of yoghurt were sitting in tepid water. The waffle maker was overflowing. A very unappetizing situation. If a hotel is going to advertise their breakfast service, I believe that they should step up and do it right, not haphazardly. It tarnishes their reputation.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I wanted to rate it higher than I am. I wanted it to be a 4 or a 5 based on the reviews I read before I stayed here. I would definitely stay here again and hope that the things I criticize can be improved.

First, 4 circles for cleanliness, which is the most important thing for me in a hotel room. Overall, the room was very clean. The bedding was especially nice and fresh. The only thing is that there was one hair on the bathtub / shower surround and it wasn't mine. I complained about it the first morning, and even though the woman at the front desk made a note, the hair remained and was there the second day. Eeeew! Still, it was just one and I think they need to clean the surrounds every day.

1 circle for wi-fi. Yes, they had wi-fi. But if the signal is not good in your norm, then they don't really have wi-fi. They also had wired, but I only had an iPhone and an iPad and did not bring my own router, so I had no way to connect to it. I complained and they said they knew it was bad. OK, some of the reviews said it was bade too. Ummm, fix it! I ended up using my personal hot spot on my iPhone to get data to my iPad. It worked, but it was my data plan taking the hit.

2 circles for breakfast both days. This was a big disappointment. I like to have a hot breakfast in the morning and part of the reason I selected this hotel was because they offered that. I don't expect the food to be exceptional when it's served buffet styl and overall the food was ok. I would have given 4 circles to this if it weren't for the following: a) first day no forks. none. and no prospect of them either. kitchen staff said she knew. i had to eat my eggs and potatoes with a knife and spoon. 30 minutes later when I left, still no forks. b) second day no plates. none. I had to eat with several small side dish type bowls. weird but sort of doable. plates arrived around the time i left. c) Tables were unclean and gross both days. Every one of them. Outside and inside. d) server came to add more eggs and did not put the spoon in the serving dish correctly. the only way to fix this was for me to use my ungloved hands to adjust things. I tried hard not to touch the wrong things but it was not possible to completely avoid this. This is because the lid for the eggs was complicated and had hinges and just could not be lifted without picking it up with my fingers. Oh well. Bottom line here is that they don't have enough staff or they are serving too much food variety to keep the area clean and stocked. This equals a bad experience. They need to consider this, especially when the hotel is full, like when I was there.

So why do they get 3 circles after that? Well, I think even though I spouted off about these three things that they have tons of potential and the problems are not horrible. The staff was generally very nice. The room was clean and well appointed and remodeled. It was quiet even though the hotel was full and I knew there were people on both sides of me and under me. i would stay here again, but if I did not see an improvement, I would pick a different place after 2 tries.

The value for the money overall in this area was good.

Room Tip: I had room 308 where wifi was terrible. If wifi is important to you, ask for a room with a strong wi...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group
HawthornSuitesMB, Manager at Best Western Plus Manhattan Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Thank you for sharing your concerns and comments, and sharing your thoughts about how our attentive associates took good care of you throughout your stay. The cleanliness of our property is a very important aspect that we always strive to offer; we always listen to our guest’s suggestions and comments and utilize them to improve our service. Please accept my sincerest apologies on behalf of the hotel and our team for the problems that you experienced with our breakfast buffet and WIFI. I have addressed your comments with our entire staff. To ensure that these problems are not repeated we have had our technical staff examine our WIFI system to make sure that the signal is strong in all areas of the property, and we will be increasing our kitchen staff to ensure these problems do not occur in our breakfast buffet. Once again thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience, we hope to see you again on your next trip to Manhattan Beach.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Manhattan Beach
Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach
Hotel Hermosa
Hotel Hermosa
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to Best Western Plus Manhattan Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!