“The Strand dining experiencer.”
Review of The Strand House

The Strand House
Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ocean Drive
Description: Down at the beach, overlooking the Pacific Ocean,The Strand House rises elegantly and iconically above the breakers. Like in an oceanfront home, friends become family and strangers become friends.
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I was recently at the "Strand Restaurant" in Manhattan Beach, Ca. The food was wonderful and the setting was fabulous. I would return.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was wary when we first heard of a high end view restaurant coming to Manhattan Beach. And still am to a certain degree.

I have been here a few times and here's my thoughts.

Start downstairs and try and time the sunset. The drinks are great and the appetizers are good and less than the ones upstairs. You can also get the full menu, which is good because you may never leave this spot. They have an open window to the street and it's a great spot to see the world and the pier. Good wines and list.

Upstairs is a grand restaurant and I think the food has gotten better, but not to the point where it matches the price. I have had several items and none really stand out. The short ribs seem to be my go-to dish and are moist and well flavored. The fresh fish is good, not perfect all the time.

Service is what it should be and not intrusive. The view can't be matched anywhere down here.

I would say it's a work in progress and progress has been made.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

We were thrilled to get seated last Thursday, September 19, walking in at around 6:30 without a reservation. We ended up in the bar and were promptly called upon by the same server we had had a year before. I ordered some red wine and my husband some San Pellegrino. The wine had gone off and I was immediately brought a new glass. I ordered the kale, grape and goat cheese salad with candied pumpkin seeds. It was a delicious combination of flavors. Normally it comes with farro, but they left it off at my Gluten Free request. My husband got a dozen oysters - six Kumamoto and 6 Barnstables. The Kumamoto I snagged was tender and delicious dipped in their mignonette. I didn't try it but my husband used the house made hot pepper sauce that comes to the table in a blue bottle with an eyedropper. It's fun and funky.

He enjoyed Salmon with heirloom beets, roasted baby fennel, farro, pine nuts and lemon beurre blanc. He really enjoyed the plate. I didn't really notice it because I got the Braised Short Rib on Cheese Grits and it was so good the room narrowed down to my plate and me. I think I may have moaned. The beef was fork tender and perfectly seasoned. And the grits were flavored with just the right amount of tangy goat cheese. The tanginess of the grits complemented the depth and richness of the beef.

We did not have dessert as we were both too full!

Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Hosted a dinner get together here with co-workers. Great atmosphere and service. We had torn rag pasta and tuna for apps and variety for dinner. Most pop was the short ribs. Very good. Shared several deserts. Of course the donuts were the biggest hit. Especially the PBJ one.

1  Thank JohnNewby66
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We were a little put off when we were told that yes, we could be seated at a table on a Sunday morning for brunch, but we would have to vacate the table by 12:30 p.m. because others had reservations. We decided to give it a go anyway and take our time. We were glad we did. We had the amazing lemon ricotta pancakes, and my husband swore they were the best pancakes he ever had. They were light and fluffy. I had the special Eggs Benedict with the special bacon, a specialty of the house, and it was amazing, as well. Top it off with mimosas and we were good to go. We even had a really nice view of the Strand and the beach... perfect for a Sunday morning!