“fine dining at the beach Finally!”
Review of The Strand House

The Strand House
Reserve with OpenTable
The Strand House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ocean Drive
Description: Down at the beach, overlooking the Pacific Ocean,The Strand House rises elegantly and iconically above the breakers. Like in an oceanfront home, friends become family and strangers become friends.
Lead, South Dakota
“fine dining at the beach Finally!”
Reviewed February 13, 2012

the sea bass i had was as good as it gets. service is attentive. view is stupendous of the ocean. nice wine list,too. lively and fun!

Visited February 2012

Manhattan Beach, California
“Amazing View But Needs Much More”
Reviewed January 28, 2012

My wife and I have been holding off on visiting the Strand House - we wanted to wait long enough for the restaurant to settle into a good groove. In the times we've walked past the place looked very mod and loved all the different levels how it was set up.

Finally we decide to drop by on a Tuesday night at 7 and it's packed - good vibe to start and only a short wait. We knew the menu was a bit pricy (some of the resties in MB have no fear of the $40 entree) but we've been to places where the food was worth the bucks so we were hoping for the best.

So we sit down and take a glace at the menu. My wife is a vegetarian and the pickin's were pretty dang slim for the mains or appetizers. We talked to our waiter (who was really very nice and helpful) and he lamented the same - that there weren't enough options. He mentioned that people had been asking for more yet that hadn't yet affected the menu. OK - there were still a couple of things to try. Place is really loud - we need to shout at times across the table to hear each other. It's a pretty interior but it's all angles, stone and hardwood and sound really travels. Great view though - gotta say that was 5 stars.

We started with having the brussels sprouts (we love sprouts - go figure) as the appie to share, my wife gets the beet salad and I get the baby articoke salad (love artichoke and grow it in my garden). I get my salad and it's basically a pile of arugula and radiccio covered in creamy dressing. The artichoke must be somewhere but I can't taste it, only the bitterness of the greens. Finally I start picking at it and I can see these thin shavings of artichoke. It's so thin that even if I taste it all by itself, it still doesn't taste like artichoke - just tastes plain. The wife says the beet salad is ok but she likes the one we make at home better. On the plus side the brussel sprouts were pretty good - liked the way they did it.

For entrees, my wife gets the involtini and I get the grilled pork tenderloin. The pork is ok - decent enough portion (not to large or small) cooked well, ok taste - not amazing. My wife's food is about the size of a small veggie wrap you can get in Whole Foods for $5.99. She finished it off in about 5 bites. I tasted a very small bite (couldn't go larger or she woulda starved - pretty middle of the road at best and not much flavor. During dinner we had a glass of wine each which were a little overpriced ($15 for a mid-size glass of Grgich zin - really?). No dessert - When we got the final bill - not cheap at all and ultimately not worth the overall experience when compared to similar class restaurants within walking distance (Shade Hotel dining/drinks are better and it is operated by the same group).

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Chris C
San Francisco, CA
“Food was unbelievable service was great”
Reviewed January 20, 2012

We had some wine, the waitress helped us pick the right one. They have those machines that you can taste a bunch of different wines.

Had mushroom pizza. Was so good. One of best thin crust pizzas i ever had

Had brownie sundae. Again the best i had. Their pastry chef makes everytjong in hoise

Charleston, South Carolina
“Fantastic!!!”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Unobstructed views of the beach and fabulous sunsets from all seats. Food was fresh, beautifully prepared and presented. I had char. My husband had tenderloin of pork. We shared salad, Brussels sprouts and dessert. We liked The Strand House so much we returned the next day. My husband chose pork again. I had turbot with a side of potatoes au gratin. Both were excellent. I must adhere to a gluten-free diet. The staff was very knowledgable regarding this issue and double checked with the chef to ensure my food would be not only delicious but also gluten-free. My husband and I live in Charleston, SC which has many fine restaurants, however, The Strand House is better.

• Visited January 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Greasy, tasteless food with a view”
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I have to say i was looking forward to eating here. The renovation is superbe, and it's always nice to have a new casual hip place to go to in Manhattan Beach. It's friendly, and the waiter we had was very good, but unfortunately, the food was a huge letdown. I ordered fish, which in itself was good, but the plate was just very greasy. The side dish of vegetables was also greasy. I just didn't find anything on my plate tasty... My friends ordered both fish and meat, and were also served with greasy and tasteless dishes.Ordered a sorbet for dessert, and that was just too sweet to eat. Hmmmm. The following night, i actually returned there for a drink, as they have very nice drinking areas. I ordered some pizza( same kind they serve in the restaurant). Just not good pizza. Thin yes, but not what I call good pizza. So, to me the food is a great letdown. Great place for a drink, But it ends right there.

• Visited December 2011