“4.999 out of 5”

Manhattan Beach Post
Reserve with OpenTable
Manhattan Beach Post is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Manhattan Beach Blvd
Description: Manhattan Beach Post (M.B. Post), a soulful, highly personal restaurant by Chef and co-owner David LeFevre brings a playful, artisan menu of small shared plates, hand-crafted cocktails, and small production wines to the South Bay. M.B. Post is the culmination of 15 years of work, travel, and finely honed technique in the world's most vibrant culinary communities by Michelin-stared chef, David LeFevre. Renowned for his fine-dining experience and seafood mastery at Water Grill, LeFevre returns to his culinary roots with a more rustic menu, built to be shared and served in a gracious and welcoming environment.
Reviewed June 17, 2013

What a surprise. We hit this place completely by accident on Father's Day and had the best meal I've had in a year at least (with one small, but huge, unfortunate incident). Its incredibly and conveniently located at Manhattan and Manhattan with a few hidden public parking lots behind it. Inside is a wonderful open and modern decor (with the biggest ceiling fan my 3 year old has ever seen), rather noisy, but not terrible, and a small but seemly efficient bar area with about 8 stools directly at the bar and a good number of high top tables to the side (however, they appeared to be reserved seating as well - not a bar seating area).

The winner was the food. They are a small plates joint, and we ordered 7-8 different things. While I agree that the prices are high, the quality was unmatched in my experience with this area (with the exception of one sushi place that I just remembered from about 6 years ago, so who knows if its even still there).

The order:

Cheddar and Bacon Biscuits with some delicious maple and something butter
Pear pot pies, which were basically turnovers (not at all to detract from their incredible quality)
Sausage with a kale-like green in an incredibly hot pan (this might have been the least impressive item on the menu, if only because it was partially burned)
Truffle honey Fried Chicken with a dash of slaw
French Toast stuffed with ricotta, cherries and marcona almonds
Ivan Drago - a cocktail (gin I think) with ginger, mint and yuminess
Lemonade
Coffee (Illy)

No need for me to go through each item. No joke, we agreed that each order kept getting better and better. I'm sure that in any order, we would have felt the same.

The ONLY gripe I have is about a server that was not even ours. Ours (Rachel, I think) was fantastic. However, here is a large male server there - goatee I believe, and just a big dude. He may be a great server, but as I was guiding my 3 year old out of the place, weaving through the tables as you must, this guy turned around after clearing some plates off a table, with a dinner knife (not a bread knife, but one with a sharp point) in his fist pointing forward from a stack of plates in his arms. If you can imagine this, at the farthest point forward on his person was this sharp knife. And he was turning left and right, reaching and returning upright, with that knife - RIGHT AT THE EYE/HEAD LEVEL OF MY THREE YEAR OLD - jutting forward, retreating, and SWINGING back around. I was furious and tried to say something as I literally jerked my son back from him, but he was completely oblivious and kept clearing a table. I chose to get away from him and out instead of insisting that if he was not a complete fool he was doing a great impersonation of one. However, this was very enlightening. Beware parents, there is serious danger everywhere (if you are a parent already, you are likely well aware of this).

This small episode was nearly nightmare inducing - if just for the realization of how dangerous the safest of places can be, and how completely unthinking people are. (A child, a pregnant woman, and a wrong turn - for god sake).

EVERYTHING ELSE - other than this completely dopey waiter - WAS INCREDIBLE.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Okay, I will say, up front that Dave LeFevre, Chef and owner of Manhattan Beach Post is a friend of mine. But his food is so exquisite that even if he were someone I found reprehensible, (e.g, any of the Kardashian clan), I would still rave about MBP.

We took a side trip from my daughter's school-based conference in Anaheim for a lovely stay in Manhattan Beach and to eat at Dave's restaurant. The place was packed and the crowd had a great, fun energy about them. In fact, at one point, we were admiring the table's food next to ours. One of the guys at the table held out a forkful of the dish my daughter was oohing and ahhhing over and insisted she take a bite. Total fun.

Dave is a masterful chef with a down-home attitude, a refreshing thing when so many chefs in the world of gourmet food tend to be a mite pretentious. He carves out a lot of his tables for walk-ins. His communal tables are a tribute to the neighborhood feast vibe he has perfected here at MBP.

And his food. Oh, his food. This was the only night of my life I wished I'd been born a cow. I needed multiple stomachs for all his delicious food. Between the dishes we ordered and the beautiful plates Dave sent out to us, I didn't want to stop eating. Some of our highlights--His roasted brussels sprouts are a thing of beauty, even if you don't like this sturdy little veggie, you will become a believer after a taste of MBP's brussels sprouts. The Farro was incredible. My husband loved the steamed mussels and the seared diver scallops with bacon butter, savoy cabbage and shitake mushrooms. My daughter and all of us really, couldn't get enough of MBP's famous Bacon Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits with maple butter. We ordered two orders and somehow managed to eat every delicious crumb, even with our sad, lone overstuffed human stomachs. As for me, I literally licked the plate clean, (you can do that here, it's that fun), of confit pork belly on a bed of grilled asparagus with bernaise and a fried runny egg on top. I love pork belly, but I am very picky about it. This pork belly was sublime, plate-licking good.

We left there and walked back to our hotel, groaning but in food heaven. We had Dave's wonderful staff box up all our extras, because we couldn't bear to part with any of the deliciousness. For the next two days, we carried those boxes from hotel refrigerator to hotel refrigerator because we couldn't get enough.

I'm sad I live in Florida and can't eat at Manhattan Beach Post every week, every day, for that matter. If you're lucky enough to be anywhere near Manhattan Beach, get thee to the Post. Now. Like right now. Stop reading reviews and just go. You won't be sorry.

Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Was staying in LA for few days and the place was recommended to me by my friend who lives there. Great restaurant! Excellent walk-in policy. Weren't able to make reservations but showed up and only had to wait about 25-30 minutes. Great place for foodies as they have very interesting and exciting menu items. Would DEFINITELY go again. Not sure it is worth all the hype and whether the Zagat rating is totally just but the place is worth a visit.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Loud, diverse crowd all enjoying a fabulous night in Manhattan. Hard to get reservation but two communal tables. Brussel sprouts good; mussels too. Wine reasonable and good selection. Will return. (Not a place to go solo)

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I am not a fan of super fancy, kinda off the wall food but man am I glad my wife made me go! Amazing cheese and meat tray, their famous biscuits are a must have and the main course was prepared to perfection. We left most of our decisions to our server who, after learning a little about our likes and dislikes, selected dishes for us that were truly amazing.

1  Thank billandwendi