“Really Wanted this Family Owned Restaurant to be Great”

No photo provided
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 10th & Sepulveda
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Thought we'd give it a try as we received a coupon for 20% in the weekly coupon flyer. We went for lunch on a Saturday. It was 12noon, and only one other table was occupied. This concerned us as no restaurant in Manhattan Beach should be empty on a Saturday at lunch time.
We were greeted by friendly staff. Our server took our drink order of two ice teas. We then placed our meal order. We both got the tri-tip sandwich as the waitress said they were known for their Santa Maria barbecue.
The sandwiches were served in a pretty unappealing way. Just the sandwich and sweet potato fries for me and onion rings for my mom. No garnish, no small piece of fruit - nothing. A sandwich and fries should be accompanied by a nice garnish of a few strawberries, slice of orange, or something. The tri-tip was well done and we asked for medium. We had to ask for the salsa for my mom's plate as it did not come on the plate. She also was not served any ketchup like I was, but she received some orange sauce, and when she asked the server that brought the food what it was, he said he thought it was for the onion rings. Really? Not sure? I then had to ask for a refill on my ice tea. The server never gave us a refill on her own, even though it was clear our glasses were empty. My mom never did get a refill. You should never have to ask a server for a refill - certainly not at $3.00 a glass.
Also come to find out looking at their menu that all meals are supposed to be served with a fresh vegetable tray - we never got that either!
And $2.00 extra for sweet potato fries or onion rings is ridiculous. With the onion rings, they only gave like 6 - so truly, those six onion rings can't cost more than french fries.
No dessert was offered, so I don't know if they have them.
Service = 1.5 stars
Food Quality = 2 stars
Food Presentation = 1.5 stars
Dollar Value - 1.5 stars
Environment = 3 stars
For $3.00 more, we could have gone to Houston's and ordered their fabulous french dip sandwich on a homemade roll, with a wonderful au'jus and one of their terrific sides of coleslaw, fries, vegetable or potato. And, the ambience far exceeds this restaurant. And, you never have to ask for a refill - as it should be.
We may give the restaurant one more try for dinner - but if that rates like this sub-par experience, we won't be back. There are way too many good restaurants in the area to pick from.
Sorry Farmhouse, but you need a huge improvement to your service staff and quality of food and food presentation. Dollars are just much too valuable now. I really like to support a family business, but even a family business has to compete.

There are newer reviews for American Farmhouse Tavern & Dining Hall

Reviewed April 7, 2012

No dessert was offered, so I don't know if they have them.
Service = 1.5 stars
Food Quality = 2 stars
Food Presentation = 1.5 stars
Dollar Value - 1.5 stars
Environment = 3 stars

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Somewhat noisy, an impersonal atmosphere, and kind of like eating in a barn. But the food was OK: (Nothing special.)

Reviewed October 17, 2011

We tried this place three times. The first time, we were turned away due to no reservation. Understandable, except the place was empty and it wasn't even 6pm! The next time we went, we had a fabulous dinner, with great wine and great service! The last (and I do mean last) time we went was for late lunch on the weekend. There were only breakfast items and the service was horrible. It took over 20 minutes to have someone come take our order and then we waited 45 minutes for our food to arrive. After asking several times when our food would come, and noticing others who came in after us served, in a nearly empty restaurant, we gave an ultimatum...serve our food or we'd leave! Still no food...we walked out. No we are sorry, no come back, just ignored. Too bad because this could be a great place.

Reviewed September 24, 2011

Although others in my party enjoyed their food, I think maybe my impression of the restaurant was marred by the fact that I thought it would be an upscale restaurant and was disappointed to find out it was loud and echo-y and the piped in music added to the cacophony. We asked for a quieter location only to be told that other tables were reserved (we had made reservations as well). Needless to say, the "reserved" tables were not occupied during our meal. We were offered water by the server which never came until we asked someone else. We ordered ice cream for dessert and when it arrived we remarked that it would have been nice with a topping only to find out later that we should have been offered topping choices with the ice cream. Just seemed like our server was not quite up to par that evening..