“The real Malibu”

The M Malibu
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Malibu
“The real Malibu”
Reviewed July 15, 2011

My Boyfriend and I recently visited The Malibu Motel for a romantic weekend getaway. Based on our online search, this was the most affordable place in Malibu. After reading the reviews, we weren't realy expecting much but decided to give it a try anyway. I am so glad we did! The feel of the place is clean, serene, and retro chic. There is a beautiful little pathway that leads to a hillside deck with amazing views. Great spot for a little vino. The Coast Highway was a bit noisy, but the double panes windows held back the noise quite well. Most importantly, the staff was friendly and helpful. They gave us great recommendations on how to spend our weekend. Also, the nearby restaurants gave us discounts for being M guests.

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank Douknowanoa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Agoura Hills, California
Reviewed July 8, 2011

I read some of the reviews and was a bit concerned, however I find that people only comment on the bad. I loved the simplistic, clean, and modern feel of the place. All the other places in Malibu were twice as much and from what I saw offered the same as far as accomadations. Malibu is very expensive in comparison to what you get in other places. All in all the Malibu Motel offers just what one needs: a good shower, a good bed, and a clean room, my kind of place!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2011

My husband and I were on holiday in California and stayed in 6 different hotels - this by far was the worst. Nothing good about this motel - No ocean view atall the motel is not even on the ocean side of the PCH , horrible prison like rooms , expensive for what you get , and really noisy ,oh and a tape covering off damaged area round pool. After we spent about 5 mins in the room we went to reception to ask for a refund and was met with a very obnoxious girl , who eventually agreed to call the manager who said yes we could get a refund but charged us $10 dollars because my husband had lay ontop of the bed and they said they would have to change the pillow cases. (YOU CAN BUY 2 PILLOW CASES IN THE UK FOR $10!!!!), I was quite happy to pay it actually to get the hell out of there , drove on and stayed in a nice hotel in Marina Del Ray. BOTTOM LINE- PLEASE DON'T GO !!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kellie021
Spanish Fort, Alabama
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Malibu has a certain reputation of glitz, glamour, maybe even a degree of luxury, so it's logical to assume that a motel called "Malibu Motel" might at least HINT at some of those qualities......But NOT!!!!! The rooms are "just lovely" if you're into Army Barrack decor! It goes beyond basic to just plain ugly! There are NO amenities! Zero! Zilch! Nada! Not even a hAir dryer! Come on, even Days Inns have hair dryers! But then again Days Inns look like The Ritz compared to Malibu Motel! In addition, the price
is about four times too high for
what you get! We met some people
at an area restaurant, and we were ashamed to tell them where we
were staying! This motel should be
an embarrassment to Malibu!! It would certainly be an embarrassment to me if I had any connection with it! The owner should be ashamed!

• Stayed June 2011
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed May 20, 2011

I sent 21 days travelling around the Southwest US on a motorcycle trip. This was the worst hotel I stayed at. Not that it's horrible, if it was late & I was desperate for a warm bed & a shower like I was that night, I would go back. It has more to do with the value. If this hotel was by the highway, it would be $30-40 a night, instead, because its in Malibu and across the street from the ocean, its $100+. Its furnished like a dorm room, only thing missing is the cinder blocks. Tiny flat sceen with few channels that didn't match the list. Internet through a cable you have to get at the front office.
The sheets & towel, however, did appear to be clean, and the shower was hot. No one was home to check me out so I had to leave the key in a box by the office. Don't even think about a cup of coffee or a roll in the morning.
On the bright side, there is a liquor store next door with a nice Frenchman who can turn you on to some really good wine.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Stevenson Ranch, California
Reviewed May 15, 2011

The first question you will ask yourself is: What is that smell? I first checked the toilet, expecting to find it backed up. Nope. I've been in better smelling outhouses. I actually looked under the bed to see if I'd find a pile of fecal matter...

The second question will be: Where is the rest of my room? There is no closet, no other furniture other than a bed, a tiny table and two plastic chairs. And a Baker's Rack as a home for your items.

The third question will be: Where is the ocean view I paid extra for? Squint between two buildings, you'll find it.

The fourth question will be: How will I sleep? The roar of the PCH can serve as White Noise background but the din of the TV next to you blaring through the paper thin walls and bouncing off their hard wood floors is sure to irk you out of some sleep. AND don't get me started on the bed...just a tad softer than the wood floor.

The fifth question will be: First thing in the morning, where's the coffee??? At McDonalds a couple blocks away...

The sixth question will be: Why oh why did I not listen to the horrible reviews?

Room Tip: Sleep on the beach, quieter, smells better.