“Good Food, Great View!”
Review of Dukes Malibu

Dukes Malibu
Reserve with OpenTable
Dukes Malibu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 95 Restaurants in Malibu
Cuisines: American, Hawaiian
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Scenic view, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Malibu
Cross street: Las Flores Canyon
Transit: MTA has a bus stop 100 yards down PCH
Description: Duke's Malibu has brought the excitement of Hawaii, Waikiki, and surfing to the mainland. The spectacular oceanfront location on Pacific Coast Highway offers over 300 feet of romantic oceanfront dining and memorabilia from both Hawaii and California surfing history. The Barefoot Bar, looking south into the lights of Santa Monica, is a great spot for drinks and casual food with friends.
Reviewed July 23, 2014

My family and I were visiting the L.A. area this past weekend, and at the suggestion of TripAdvisor, we chose this restaurant for dinner. We always eat at local spots whenever we travel, and I typically rely on TA for such places. The service was very friendly, albeit, a little slow. I was enjoying the views, so I was fine, but of course, the kids will remind you when we have been waiting a while, especially after a long day at a theme park. I had sea bass, which seemed to be not as light as most I've had. My husband had a fish called opa (I believe that is how it's spelled). Both of our fish were parmesan crusted. It was the first time either of us had opa, and it was pretty good. We also had drinks from the bar, which were pretty good as well. The restaurant was a bit crowded, so we could tell it was a local favorite. Nice atmosphere, with the Hawaiian flare.

Bottom line, I would definitely return, even if only for the views. However, I would probably not get the sea bass again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,224)

Reviewed July 22, 2014

My last experience at Duke's in Malibu was July 14th, 2014. I have been at the restaurant before and had a wonderful time with a great food. This time around I would say that this was the absolute worst restaurant experience that I've had. I brought 4 of my girlfriends with me as it was a girls trip to LA and was hoping to show them how wonderful this place was. However, my grilled chicken ceasar salad had a maggot (it was still alive). I had already taken a few bites and this was definitely something that will scar me for life. I can never look at food the same nor eat salad. I had to leave the table and use the restroom to force myself to vomit, which I ended up doing. The bill was written off which it should have since none of us continued to eat the food. I did not receive an apology or anything when I returned to the table. This was handled very poorly and it saddens me that no one tried to apologize to me. I had no idea what was decided and had to find out from my friends. I will never eat here again and mostly because I never received a proper apology.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Duke's of Malibu provides fresh seafood (and other offerings if seafood is not a favorite, i.e., my kids had plenty of choices other than fish). The seafood is fresh, presentation is great, and preparation is terrific. We love to visit and watch the sunset. It is beautiful. Reserve ahead of time as the wait can be long.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stopped here for lunch on our road trip along the Pacific Coast Highway.
I had the Tahitian prawns and the fish tacos, both fresh and tasty.
The view is absolutely spectacular, right on the ocean.
A great spot!

Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stopped in for lunch on our way to the airport by recommendation of another customer.
Dress is casual if desired, although a wedding party was sitting next to us and dressed to the max.
The staff is quick to get you started and quite friendly on our visit. They help each other run foods out to tables which is a plus when it is busy. We ordered fried clams, chowder, and a salad. They start you with some super good hot rolls. The clams were served with two sauces and the size of them was really large with a good size serving. The soup was very tasty, but not really any different than good clam chowder.
The salad was very good. They have a pretty good salad selection with candied nuts and or fruit, etc.
We shared a slice of key lime pie and it was ok. To get the best keylime, I guess that should be left to people who specialize in it! It wasn't bad, just nothing to write about. I will go to DUKES again when I am in Malibu.

Been to Dukes Malibu? Share your experiences!