“Almost excellent in every way”
Review of Nikita Malibu - CLOSED

Nikita Malibu
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Malibu
Description: Nikita Malibu invites locals and travelers alike to appreciate the marriage of food and wine in a cozy, yet refined seaside architectural gem reminiscent of Saint-Tropez's private beaches.
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Dined at Nikita on a warm evening in Malibu. The setting is "California-glorious"; the restaurant is literally within a few feet from the Pacific Ocean, with waves crashing on the beachfront. At night, flaming lanterns, scattered among the tables, light up this indoor-outdoor restaurant, conjuring up a Hawaiian party. The light glances off the waves, making for a dramatic and inspiring scene.The restaurant decor is in perfect harmony with its setting. Our appetizers (proscuitto and salad) were forgettable as were the accompanying rolls (hard, tasteless, overcooked, old). But the main course (filet chunks in heavenly sauce) was delectably delicious; enthusiasm was tempered by the french fries, too thick, starchy, and no crunch or flavorings one would expect from a high end dining experience. Ah, but for a french cook who knows how to double fry the fries in a perfect oil at a perfect temperature. The dessert, cannolis, were tasty, crunchy, but a chore to dissectinto edible pieces (chunks flying off the plate). I had to resort to my hands to break each piece in a controlled manner. The surprise treat was the mint tea! No country on earth produces more delicious mint tea than Morocco, and I have been deprived of this rare treat since my sojourn in Morocco. Nikita's mint tea comes close, if not replicates the heavenly drink of Morocoo. Several people to whom I offered a taste were deeply disappointed that they had not ordered mint tea at the end of their meal. All in all, a memorable experience, but improved bread, appetizers and veggies would merit the stamp of perfection on this beautiful restaurant.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I had read some previous reviews on Nikita. They were not very positive. Please take it from me, this is a wonderful restaurant located on the beautiful Malibu coast. The service was outstanding. Let me repeat that...the service was outstanding. The drinks were unique and flavorful-you need to look at the cocktail menu, that is a must!
The appetizers were out of this world and the entrees, although smaller in proportion, were prepared well and enjoyed by my discriminating palate. Try the Gnocci and you will not be disappointed. Great staff, great food and even a great Valet experience...a must! And did I mention the amazing atmosphere and view!!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I will first say that our expectations for Malibu's newest restaurant were extremely high. We read many stellar reviews and had heard positive things from a couple of friends, so naturally we were excited to try it out. The restaurant is gorgeous, with an open air feeling, beautiful wood detailing, and perfect lighting. Unfortunately, that is the best thing about this restaurant. We choose to sit indoors because it was a chilly evening, but even indoors it was very cold. It took over half an hour to get our drink order which was a martini, scotch, and two glasses of wine. We then ordered a selection of appetizers; prosciutto plate, the burrata, lobster, and steak tartare. The burrata was delicious, but the others weren't exceptional. For our starters, the waiter highly recommended the pasta carbonara, so naturally all four of us ordered it (with a vegetarian version for me). It was good, but definitely didn't qualify as a signature dish. Renny had a New York steak for his main course which also was average. The service was nothing to be proud of, with long waits for each course, and no personality what so ever. We continued with desserts ranging from gelato to tiramisu and cognac. It was a fun dinner catching up with friends, but the food, service, and ambience definitely didn't add anything to our experience. We'd like to believe that perhaps we were there on an "off" night, and maybe we just had bad luck, but I don't think we'll be headed back anytime soon. Especially, when Tra Di Noi and Carbon Beach Club are just down the street.

2  Thank Erika W
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Sharing a Parking Lot and an Ocean View with Nobu Nikita is hands down the most beautiful restaurant in malibu (and perhaps in So Cal) . Extraordinary Bar Patio right on the ocean with hapening Bar Scene. Exceptionally friendly service, lots of helpful management and great wait staff. Main dining room is direct ocean front with 2 fireplaces for those cool (or cold) Malibu nights. After dark the ocean view disappears (unless you are on the outside patio...they have complimentary blankets for those braving the cold). Interesting mediterranian menu with lots of small (very small) plate choices. It is easy to run up an exceptional tab (house wine is $20 a glass) but this is the perfect spot for a special occasion.

1  Thank Howard M
Reviewed July 26, 2013

One of the BEST restaurant experiences I've had in LA - stunning un-rivalled OPEN beachfront location which has long been an overlooked necessity on the coastal restaurant scene. Amazingly intricate food, with spectacular presentation, and tastes that are interesting without being overwhelming, and a couple of great cocktails too. Thoroughly recommend, definitely "occasion" dining - go there prepared to splash out, the beauty is in the variety of flavors, and sampling each at a different moment of the setting sun. Definitely on my "must-do" list in LA now. OUTSTANDING.

2  Thank Darren D