“Enjoyable food and view”

The Sunset Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Sunset Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 92 Restaurants in Malibu
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Malibu
Cross street: PCH
Description: The Sunset Restaurant is a lovely getaway from the hustle of life. Let our staff whisk you away on a culinary journey you are sure to enjoy.
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We enjoyed a meal for two at the Sunset Malibu as well as watching a wedding in progress across the narrow street directly on the beach. The view of the ocean at Westward Beach is certainly a draw for this restaurant but not so close or so present as to be a main event. The service was attentive but slow and the food which is moderately expensive for Malibu, in other words expensive for most areas, was better than many other beach restaurants in the area, if generally smaller in portion size. Overall the feel of the restaurant is casual with less than average posturing of the patrons and a more beachy feel, it can get very crowded at the times you might expect, sunset, summer weekends and holidays but they do have valet parking which is a great feature at this "free beach" in Malibu; overall a good destination restaurant for both locals and for those visiting LA.

1  Thank CalaX2

Reviewed August 28, 2012

This off the beaten track local hang is right on the sand. It reminds me of Cheers when I walk inside with a great ocean view bar. They have everything you could possibly want to drink. It is an excellent place to meet people! The food is better than excellent and the specials, meat or fish, special! The upstairs dinning room is small so reservations are a must!

1  Thank Chris R
Reviewed August 7, 2012

The Sunset recently changed to a bistro menu with great success. The food is still very good, high standard, and the prices have dropped. Whatever you choose on the menu, anything from light fare to the steaks and ribs is done to perfection. They do not make a fuss about substitutions and the wait staff is ready with wine suggestions. last week I had the lamb chops served on a wonderful wild rice risotto.The chops were prepared French style with a rich wine sauce. They were superb. The week prior I had the Bouillabaisse in a rich and spicy saffron broth loaded with seafood and fish. Oh Yum.
The wait staff is excellent and very attentive.

1  Thank Nili99
Reviewed July 23, 2012

In spite of recent poor reviews, I took my family of 4 here for a 8 PM dinner. I thought it was fine. Arrived at 7:30, bar staff was very nice and attentive. We sat before 8PM. Did not have the best seat to see the sunset but still had a wonderful view of the ocean. I has scotich salmon which was average. My wife had the muscles that were not that great. My daugher had the fillet of beef. Which I tried and it was fantastic . My other daughter had the bologinase which was fine. Apps and salads were fresh and good.overall this place was one to come back to. About as good as you will do in malibu. They made a mistake and brought the wrong entree out to my daughter and gave us a free desert. Was not nececcary but I like when places show a little respect. The flour less chocolate cake was outstanding.

1  Thank Nick C
Reviewed June 29, 2012

The view and locals do not make up for (Lounge/bar) obnoxiously rude, bartenders and lack of quality. I've heard locals complain, but nothing is done.

2  Thank Cypresssea