“The NEW Nobu...same fantastic dishes but with a view”
Review of Nobu Malibu

Nobu Malibu
Ranked #1 of 91 Restaurants in Malibu
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Scenic view, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Malibu
Thousand Oaks, California
“The NEW Nobu...same fantastic dishes but with a view”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

The address listed above is wrong. The new Nobu is now located on PCH and has breathtaking views of the Pacific. The structure itself is an architectual beauty. The 'new style sashimi' is mouth watering-ly good! As is the yellowtail sashimi with jalapeno. Been going to Nobu for many years and in many countries and it is always top-notch quality, freshness and flavor. The night out will set you back several bucks (understatement) but the flavors are unique and will make you want more. We celebrated birthdays with friends and had a wonderful time. Normally I'm a sake girl at Nobu (cold, unfiltered) but the waiter convinced us to try their blood orange martini which was delicious!
You used to be able to get a reservation without much trouble at the old location but the new location is the latest "hot spot" so we had to book several weeks out to get in at all on a Fri night! Plan ahead.

• Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada
“A wonderful night!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is now in the top 10 of my all time favorite restaurants.

On a recent trip to L.A. we decided to take a drive out to Malibu for some fun and shopping. We were at a local store and realized it was getting near supper time, so trusting in local judgement I asked one of the people at the retail shop where she would eat if she had one night in Malibu. She looked me square in the eye and asked, "Is budget an issue?" In this particular case it was not as this was our last night in the L.A. area and we wanted to have fun, so I replied "No". She said one word, "Nobu". She explained that it was a sushi style restaurant looking over the ocean and that it had some of the best food around Malibu. She also advised us to get over there right away if we did not have reservations, and gave us directions.

We drove there straight away and arrived at about 5:30 PM. There is valet parking when you enter the lot, and there is no exception to taking the valet parking; however it was $8, and that seemed a reasonable price (though the parking area is not very large) so I accepted this and drove in. I was wondering if I still had to pay the $8 if I could not get into the restaurant but decided to deal with that should this actually occur.

We walked in through the main door, and there were about 5 people by the counter. One of the hosts (or hostesses, I forget which) asked if we had reservations and I said no but advised them there were only three of us and joked that we wouldn't take up much room. The restaurant was perhaps 1/4 full at this point. One of the hostesses let us know that the only potential issue was that at 7:30 they had reservations for every seat in the restaurant, however if we could be out by 7:30 then they could seat us. I saw no issue with this. Other people who knew about the restaurant had taken the time to make a reservation, whereas we had arrived at the last minute and had no reservations. Two hours seemed like plenty of time for a meal, so we agreed and were promptly seated.

I found the service no less then any other high end restaurant, with the possible exception of Alan Wongs. The hostess made recommendations both for food and for drink. At one point we saw a dish being served at another table and inquired about it - she politely explained it was an "off-menu" item that was made special for another customer but she would ask the chef to make us the same dish. During the course of the evening we were told about the restaurant and who Chef Nobu was, including some of his accomplishments. The food we ordered all arrived promptly, was delicious, and plates were cleared within a few moments of our finishing. Many of the dishes were served "tapas" style, so we sampled 6 dishes plus some sushi and dessert. I found the staff exceptionally wonderful - we laughed and joked quite a bit with the hostess and the servers (and I wasn't even drinking!) and at no point in the evening did I feel any of the staff or fellow patrons to be less then friendly. Attirewise, I was dressed in nice jeans and a simple shirt, and the other two persons in my group were dressed in a similar fashion. The hostess/server plus at least 4 other servers visited our table over the course of the night, and we had a wonderful time.

Is it expensive? Well, for the three of us to have tea, 3 alcoholic drinks at the table, an appetizer that we shared, 3 bottled waters, 6 "tapas" style dishes, 9 pieces of sushi and 2 desserts came to $350 plus tip, so it is not cheap. But whenever I have the chance to eat at a restaurant with exceptional food and service and have a memorable night I don't complain. My only "complaint" was that I would have preferred to eat outside as the weather was delightful that evening, and should you happen to make a reservation knowing that the weather will be calm I would recommend asking for an outside table. We were able to walk outside, but it was not the same as actually eating the entire meal outside.

I was glad I ate here, and would recommend it to others if budget is not a priority. I found it very similar to Morimoto's for the quality, pricing and service.

• Visited April 2013
Beverly Hills, California
“The most obnoxious place in all of LA!!!”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I am a big fan of Nobu in general. I love the food and a very cool atmosphere in these restaurants.... And I couldn't wait till the opening in Malibu. BUT!!!!! Nobu in Malibu has the worth service on the planet Earth! No matter when you call, it's impossible to make a reservation. You will deal with a huge amount of attitude. Then you will show up and you will see there are plenty opened tables, but still they claim they are reserved. But, if you wait by the bar for hours, you will see that most of they stay untaken. Even if you get through the hostesses and a "lovely" manager, and make a reservation they will put you in the worth table they can find. Unless you will show up with a big group of people that would mean they will make guaranteed profit out of table.
Just today I went to Nobu after the lunch time. I called to ask if I can make a reservation for a table outside. I heard that they are not accepting reservations and it's first come - first served. When we arrived it was pretty busy. People were still in the restaurant. We saw an open table outside right next to the bar are. But they refused to give it us because they said the restaurant closed. Really! It's that hard to please customers and give a table outside?! We waited for about 25 min by the bar and than some people left and we took they table outside. Right away a waiter # 1 came over and said this place is reserved. We said that we called before we came and heard that - first come- first served. After waiter # 1 left, the second jumped immediately ready to kick us out of the table. In a less than a minute a very unpleasant and cold manager who easily could be a soldier in Gestapo come by and asked us to live the table. We told her that we called before, but she didn't care! OMG!!! I have never seen anything like this before! I love to travel and I used to the best all over the world. There are so many special places even in LA where you can get 10 out of 10 from the place, food and service combined. The question is why management in Malibu feels like they have to destroy the place with the worth attitude you can ever find. What is cool about it? The hostesses and especially disgusting manager must be fired! Until than I'm not coming back at all, because I know I will never enjoy wonderful ocean and the food by being surrounded by the most obnoxious people.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Porsche0606
France
“Amazing!”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Simply amazing, one of the best meals I have ever eaten. From the outside decor, the restaurant seating on the deck under the patio heaters with the sound of the waves, the knowledgeable and attentive staff and that's before you get to the food. The food was simply amazing, we all had the £100 tasting menu, every course was a lovely surprise and the presentation, taste and combinations were wonderful. Without batting an eyelid they accommodated one of our party who was pregnant and another who dosen't eat meat, providing similar dishes for the ones they couldn't eat. The proportions were perfect, we were comfortably full by the end, just as it should be. This is a special occasion restaurant but well worth a visit. Plus we even spotted two Hollywood celebs at the table next to us - what more can you ask for. We will definitely visit NOBU again! - looking forward to it already.

Miami, Florida
“Overrated”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

If you enjoy excellent food, generous hospitality, and a restaurant that does not rely on hype for its notoriety then do not go to Nobu in Malibu. Sadly, we wasted an evening driving to Malibu to have dinner at Nobu only to find ourselves constantly comparing it to Zuma in Miami which is far superior to this place. The only nice thing about Nobu were the views of the ocean on the terrace but even this was a reach unless of course, you were a VIP regular or celebrity. This restaurant is average at best and certainly not worth the money.