“Excelente!”

Malibu Cafe at Calamigos Ranch
Ranked #13 of 91 Restaurants in Malibu
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Scenic view, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Kanan Rd and Mulholland
Description: Cafe M is the most exciting and wildly romantic dining destination in the Malibu Hills. Located at the Crest of Malibu, off Kanan Rd. and Mulholland Dr. lies a unique restaurant and lounge with a Nouveau Barbeque menu that made Calamigos Ranch famous 4 generations ago, and keeps it breathtaking today. Join them Thursday through Sunday from noon to midnight with an amazing al fresco lunch by their private lake, or join them for dinner on a candlelit patio overlooking the property, and stay for farm fresh cocktails under the stars with romantic lounge music, live jazz and blues under the stars!! As the only dining destination on the Malibu Wine trail, come see what Malibu Vines can offer with the finest wine selections, and even tastings right at the restaurant. Bring a special someone, family, or just some friends and lounge on private cabanas, fluffy day beds, or get a private raft to sail the lake on. There truly is nothing quite like an evening at M Cafe.
Sao Paulo, SP
“Excelente!”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Great place to eat and have a drink!! Quiet place full of beautiful people!
I would go again when I am in the US.

• Visited August 2014
3 Thank MARCIARAFA

• Korean first
Los Angeles
“The Malibu Cafe is a must visit!!!”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

The Malibu Cafe is located on the Calamigos Ranch property and is awesome! Went early for lunch as it was hot up in the mountains. The outdoor area is adorable with picnic tables scattered around, we ate near a waterfall. There are also tables on the deck with misters too keep you cool. We enjoyed our brunch and had read many yelp reviews about bad service but didnt encounter anything like that. After brunch we took out some peddle boats on the pond. There is also a life size Chess Board, Pool table and Large Jenga. Lights and chandeliers hang in the trees making an elegant rustic feel. Will for sure go back for dinner! Very romantic, you can rent a row boat and order lunch to go! Perfect spot for a party or special occasion. if you are going for Brunch go early as it gets very crowded at noon.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank jellybeanlucy
Moorpark, California
“Pathetic Service”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

As many have mentioned this place is gorgeous. If you want to go somewhere just to enjoy the ambiance this can be a great place. I have been here many times over the years and have watched its transformation. My sisters and I went here for lunch last Friday and were delighted with the changes that have been made to the grounds, this place just keeps getting more beautiful, however, the service was such that we will probably not be back which is a shame as we have been to beautiful baby showers and parties here and its a great venue. We are all very easy going, early thirties, both of my sisters were servers in restaurants for many years, and the experience we had most recently was so disappointing. The hostess was not only rude, we weren't even greeted with any kind of smile, how is your day going, welcome to Malibu Cafe, go jump off a bridge, nothing. We asked to please be seated in a shady area or with an umbrella as my sister is 8 months pregnant and it was over 90 degrees out. Finding a table we were 'allowed' to sit at took about ten minutes. Even though they were not busy and most of the tables were empty, every table we asked to sit at the expressionless hostess would say 'no sorry too big'. At one point i pointed out that there were multiple parties of only three people sitting at larger tables and she still said 'no sorry too big'.... Perhaps we should have insisted but as I mentioned we are probably a little too nice.

We finally found a table she would allow us to sit at. The food was pretty good although we only ordered two appetizers because the prices on their new menu are high. Our bill for two 3 ounce glasses of wine and two appetizers was $45 without tip.......$45 without tip. Back to the wine pours, highway robbery. If you are going to order a cocktail or wine at this place you better be friends with the bartender or you will be highly disappointed when you are charged full price for half of a drink.

we were leaving we very nicely asked a staff member to take a picture of us really quick and again we got an annoyed stare, she took the pic, we thanked her and she didn't even say no problem, your welcome, she just walked away..... As we left both the three girls at the hostess table and the two guys at the valet desk were all hunched over leaning on their desks chatting away, again ignoring us completely, didn't say goodbye, thanks for coming nothing....

As I'm reading this review we sound very high maintenance but really when you go to a beautiful place like this for a nice lunch as a treat to get away from your kids and be with your sisters you expect a certain level of service, especially with the prices at this place, or at least that the people working there would want to make sure you had a good experience. Anyone who has worked in customer service or a restaurant knows that greeting people is a basic requirement. Who is managing this place? Sooooooooo sad that all three of us left there saying we all have to write a review of this place because its just not right.

• Visited July 2014
9 Thank bulldogluvr
Santa Monica, California
“Terrible Management”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We arrived at this stunning little hidden hideaway nestled in the Malibu mountains right in the middle of wine country. I have been to a tasting next door to this place a few times, but never knew it was there. It’s beautiful. Our service was impeccable, Jake was very knowledgeable and knew a lot about local wines as well. Our food took a bit longer because we arrived right on that cusp between brunch and dinner, so it took a little longer than usual, but we didn’t care because this place is truly gorgeous and the mojitos were great. As I went for a tiny walk around the place with my husband to take in the beautiful scenery, we did hear someone screaming at the top of their lungs, obscenities at the staff calling them “stupid” and using F words to let them know how little they meant to him. This was out of character for the rest of the eutopic ambiance that was carefully created. We returned to our table. There were charming dogs running all around the place. As a dog owner, I live for these creatures, but in public, they should be on a leash. A fat basset hound was wobbling over to many of the tables and getting as many scraps as possible. He was cute, and we gave him a few pats on the head. He rewarded us with peeing on my new purse that was a wedding present. It pretty much flooded all the contents of my bag. It was disgusting. The waiter was apologetic and immediately took the dog away. You could tell he was embarrassed and didn’t quite know what to say or do. This had probably never happened before. He got a manager. Over walks the voice from earlier- the most idiotic, pompous, coked out, wide eyed moron I have ever had the displeasure of meeting. So much so, that our friendly waiter cowered and walked away during the course of the idiotic ramblings of this mealy mouthed man. He explained that the dog was the “ranch dog” and “kind of our mascot” which I suppose enabled him to walk around freely with no retribution to his actions, and no regard to the other dogs who were harnessed and clearly abiding to the rules of having a dog in a public place in the state of California. When I told him we have dogs ourselves, and they have never peed on someone’s belongings, he loudly and rudely cut me off stating “… you know what? Maybe this just isn't the dining place for you then.” He dismissed us like we were crazy for being slightly perturbed at the ruining of my bag and so far what was perfect early dinner in paradise. Then he walked away. No apology, no discount, no offer to pay for the cleaning of my bag. Completely irrational, wild crazed eyes and looking like he was under the influence of some illegal substance. The waiter returned and nicely offered us coupons to come back. I felt sorry for him, or anyone who worked there. We paid and left. On our way out, we had the further pleasure of watching the moronic manager scream at the top of his lungs at a young bus boy (perhaps a waiter- not sure) right in front of everyone. He was right. This was not the dining establishment for us, or anyone I know, or anyone who reads my blogs, columns, or listens to my radio show. Dogs are dogs. They tend to act like dogs, and do dog things. That's to be expected. Jackasses are the animals that keep you from coming back.

• Visited May 2014
11 Thank Laura S
Thousand Oaks, California
“Learn to handle the crowds!”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Had an 11:30 AM reservation for brunch on Sunday. It was a beautiful day... blue skies, perfect temps. Apparently, everyone in LA decided to show up here for brunch. It was a mob scene at the check in desk, and of course, they had NO RECORD of our reservation. After a fair amount of confusion, we were finally led to a table for 4, even though there were 6 in our party. We all squeezed in, but it was a bit tight. The mimosa's we ordered were really pretty mediocre. I'm usually NOT a snob about this, but they were NOT very compelling. I ordered the "Malibu Omelet" and it was actually quite good. It did take a good long time for the food to arrive though.
On this day there was a VERY GOOD old time jazz band playing music. Tip o the hat for that.

Finally, when lunch was over the MOB SCENE at the valet desk was more out of the third world than Malibu. Way UNDERSTAFFED, and very OVER their head. Charging $6 bucks (Mandatory) is nothing but a greedy move if you can't handle the crowds.

Conclusion: great atmosphere. OK food. They really need to figure out how to address the crowds or soon it will take care of itself (NO RETURN BUSINESS). During the entire time we were there, the line at the bar was NEVER less that 5-10 people. Can't they hire one more bar tender? I'm sure plenty of people just didn't want to wait that long for a drink.

I'd go back, but ONLY at an "off-peak" time.

• Visited April 2014