“Make a Change. Suck it up. Find your Inner Warrior.”
Review of Wellfit Malibu

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Malibu
Wellfit Malibu
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
“Make a Change. Suck it up. Find your Inner Warrior.”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I was around 275 when I arrived. Two weeks later I had lost ten pounds but gained at least 5 in muscle. Half a year later I'm down to 240. I went from being relatively sedentary to doing 20 mile hikes and eating my vegetables. This is about a lifestyle change -- not a diet program.

If you're looking for a mani-pedi you can get it here but that's not my thing. If it hurts, suck it up.

Travel alone. Travel with a spouse. It doesn't matter. You will find support here.

When I arrived I had not had a pain free moment in 3 years. On the advice of one of the former contestants who was there, Sam, I went to see Dr. Ray, the on-site chiropractor. 20 minutes later I was pain free.

Before I went, I had a lot of anxiety. Hell, I even created a blog called "Diary of a Fat Guy". But although I didn't sleep well that first night I did challenge myself. I rediscovered my inner athlete. I learned that I could be more than I was.

If you want social interaction, go to the hot tub. There's plenty of guests who are trying to soak away the pains of the day.

If you want someone to scream at you, this is the wrong place. This is not the show. It is far superior. You will have classes that will teach you what dietitians and fitness experts did not teach me in over 30 years. These people know their stuff.

If you want to make a change in your life, this is the place to kick start it. These people, from the front desk staff, to the trainers, to the nutritionists and spa-folk, are positive people -- and it is no wonder; they get to see people making positive changes to their lives every day.

Some people have whined that it's expensive. You know what's expensive? A week long stay in a hospital after a heart attack. You know what's expensive? Rehab after a stroke. You know what sucks? Not attaining your potential.

If you're afraid to go, look up irishhurling on youtube. If I can get off my fat back-side, so can you. If you can swing two weeks, do it. The program starts on Sunday. I was sore until Thursday. Suck it up.

Room Tip: If you need frequent potty breaks, ask for a room near the gym.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
27 Thank IrishHurler

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New York City
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The setting: The property is on a ranch in the Santa Monica Mountains. This is in Malibu, but a good fifteen minute drive to the beach. Consequently, you will only see the beach one time a week, although, some of the hikes offer views of the ocean. Most hikes offer views of mountains and valleys. The resort, more of a compound/camp centers around the main building one large building that houses the dining room, spa services, small convenience store, and the front desk. There is a large pool and a decent hot tub, but no saunas or steam rooms. There are two large tents, one housing the gym and the other the stretch/cardio-strength classes. There are dozens of trailers that are used as sleeping quarters.

The facilities: The large tent that houses the gym is spacious and airy, with a wall of windows. The second large tent for stretch and other classes is windowless and reeks of sweat from the frequently used kickboxing gloves and yoga mats. This windowless, airless tent is a deplorable space for early morning yoga. The pool and hot tub are nice but the lack of a steam room and sauna is a huge disappointment. There aren’t any bathrooms by the gym and the pool, making it extremely inconvenient to have to run to the main building or one’s own room.

The rooms/trailers: Although on the smaller size, these fit queen size beds nicely, are outfitted with a good A/C system, have a medium flat screen TV, and enough dresser/closet space. The bathrooms are basic and on the smaller side with poor water pressure.

All in all: This place will get you the results that you desire in terms of fitness, so long as you put your all into it. The food is filling, but the quality varies. You won't go hungry here. The facilities, however, leave much to be desired. The lack of bathrooms by the gyms and the lack of a steam room are ridiculous. The worst is the windowless tent for stretch classes. The odor is horrible and the lack of light is a true disappointment.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
49 Thank Brooklynite_Abroad
San Jose, California
Reviewed June 17, 2013

First of all, I'm not a hiker. Correction, I never hiked before my week at the BLR at Fitness Ridge, Malibu, California.
I have been frustrated the last few years, having had my thyroid removed due to thyroid cancer. Finding myself slowly gaining weight and losing control of my life.
I was never a couch potato...always pretty active. I play tennis almost every day, singles and doubles...competitively. I also work out with a trainer...and ballroom dance in my spare time! Still I found myself in a trap of emotional eating.
On a whim, I booked a trip to the resort. They were very helpful with my booking, even with two days notice. I was lucky there was a spot for me.
The one week, changed my life.
First day, we hiked. It was pretty easy...so I had a lot of energy for the afternoon workout...that was tough -- my body was definitely tired. I was lucky to be able to fit a massage in the evening - because someone cancelled last minute....thank you Jonathon.
Second day, intermediate hiking group - 2nd hike ever. It was very tough. I'm not going to lie.
Third day, I did not want to go hiking - but the hiking guide said you are going to like the beach hike. She was right. I loved it. Mimi led the beach cardio after our hike. This is when I started to find myself. I realized I can do this. I can overcome anything and not let anything get in my way.
Fourth day, great hike - I had tears in my eyes when the ocean came into view from the cliff we were hiking on. My late husband, who passed away six years prior, would have loved to have been there with me ... I had such a peaceful resolve to meet my goals.
Fifth day, another wonderful hike. I motored through my hike. It could have been harder, but I had such a great cardio workout - each hike was five miles. I loved it....Each drop of sweat made me feel lighter with less emotional baggage.
I did not want to go home......
I booked another week in July....because I am work in progress. BLR Fitness Ridge trainers and staff helped me find my way! I can't wait to hike again!

Advice: good hiking shoes, good hiking socks, camel back water bag (a must).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
28 Thank 40love722
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed May 3, 2013

The week I spent at Fitness Ridge Malibu exceeded my expectations. The week was all about me and my overall well being. I went alone but never once felt alone, I met a great group of people of all ages, shapes and sizes all with the same mindset!

I found all the staff at Fitness Ridge to be very friendly, helpful and they really seemed to enjoy their jobs! The food was excellent and surprisingly very filling.

Overall I thought it was great value, I only wish I could have stayed longer than a week! I will definitely be returning within the year.

Room Tip: As recommended in another review, I really appreciated having a room close to the gyms for those qui...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
12 Thank Karen_H154914
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I first went to the resort in Utah and after being a couch potato I would say they really got me up and moving and the food was good. I wanted to try out their new (at the time) Malibu resort and found it to not be as personable as the Utah resort. It costs a lot to go here... and you expect a good return for your money. I found the staff to not be very attentive, not bothering to stop talking to each other if you came up to the desk to ask a question, acting irritated when you ask them to bring you something from the kitchen. They seem to forget that although we may be there with the goal of losing weight... it is a resort and it is their job to take care of us. The trailer huts leave a lot to be desired. As for their fitness plan... It is a one size fits all mentality. If you just need a kick in the pants to get motivated, this may be ok for you. If you have a lot to lose, this is NOT the place. They have no plan for long term, you stay on the same meal plan and the only way to get a new workout plan is to come up with it yourself or pay for personal trainers. In fact, after paying the huge fee to stay there, they nickle and dime you for every little thing. They have an incentive program that if you put down a deposit for a future stay they will match it ($200 max). I planned on staying 4 weeks there and knowing of the program I wanted to purchase one week at a time to get the incentive but they would not allow it, stating that I had to go home and then return to get the incentive. This disagreement forced me to look at other resorts to complete my remaining 3 weeks and I was so glad that I did. I found Live in Fitness which was less expensive than Fitness Ridge and included tests designed to monitor how you are losing the weight and really had a long term plan where Fitness Ridge did not. I would not recommend this place unless you just want to pretend you are on the Biggest Loser, but I assure you... you will NOT be seeing Jillian or Bob while you are there, or the results you see on the show.

Room Tip: Ask for one that is closest to the office or you could get stuck quite a distance away. If you have...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
39 Thank Laurie59Boise
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I just finished 4 weeks at the Malibu location which was wonderfully sunny in February. The daily workouts are hard but manageable for all fitness levels. The staff inspires, encourages and teases you into a harder workout than you might feel possible. I learned that breathing hard is only the START of exercise and that the body recovers very quickly, even after multiple back-to-back workouts.

The food is satisfying and reminds you that healthy food can be enjoyable.

You will probably lose between 2-5 lbs a week if you are a woman and a few more if you a a man, depending on how your body responds to workouts and the daily 1500 caloric intake.

The guestrooms are comfortable and include hairdryers, cable TV and wireless internet (if you have the energy to do either). Daily maid service is provided so all is neat and tidy when you return, which is frequentl during the day for shoe and clothing changes.

There is not much to do in the evening or Sundays unless you have a car, but you can walk the adjoining wedding/event grounds and there is a cool outdoor cafe next door if you need a meal out once in awhile.

The daily hikes are fun and a nice break from the gym workouts, and again, the staff is top notch! Informative, caring, and engaged in your goals.

Probably the best part is the guests - you will bond with people from all over the world as you share this challenging experience. Everyone is on their own journey and interested in yours. There was a nice mixture of all ages and all sizes, probably 60-65% female, and go it alone if you don't have a buddy to go with you - you will probably get more out of it by yourself!

Would highly recommend you stay 2 or more weeks if you are trying to make long term changes, or 1 week if you just need an annual "tune up".

The only reason I did not rate this resort excellent is that it is really a workout camp facility and fairly bare bones in the "resort" amenities, but you achieve what you want and you are too tired to care about amenities :-)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
16 Thank BeckiT
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was a little afraid as I drove into the resort driveway. Was a Jillian trainer going to yell at me? Was I going to be able to do all the exercises? Will I fit in? All my fears faded away as I waited on a Sunday afternoon for the guests to arrive. We were in a rustic wooded area of Malibu, chilly cold but of course it was January. We had an intial weigh in, pictures taken and told to meet in the dining room for our first lecture. People were friendly, the staff was pretty good and the week was full of hiking, walking, swimming, weight training, cardio, kick boxing, cooking demos, nutrition lectures, massages (to work on very sore muscles) and the food was really good. the meals are all calorie controlled but I never had to resort to a hidden snack bar in my room. I did smuggle in my form of caffine because no one wants to be around me during an entire week of no caffine! I made many friends there- we keep in touch via facebook and email to see how we have progressed with our weight loss or new eating habits. I went by myself and there were many others as singles or couples- also many mothers and daughters. The ocean is only miles away and you can do walks or hikes along the sand and watch the dolphins play in the waves- that is a very magical experience.
Would I go back? Yes- in a minute! The daily hikes are about 2.5 hours long and that really is a great calorie burning way to start your morning. Each day is a different hike and you are broken into groups of level of fitness. I can't wait to go back in the summer time and do another week with the knowledge I already have. The rooms are very simple and small- this is not a spa. This is a week to commit to new healthy habits and exercise- you only use your rooms to change clothes many times a day and sleep after a day well spent.

Room Tip: All the rooms are like trailors set into the woods. All are the same and the maximum amount of guest...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
13 Thank swimdiva
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malibu
Malibu
Malibu Beach Inn
Malibu Beach Inn
#1 of 5 in Malibu
Sheraton Agoura Hills Hotel
#3 of 3 in Agoura Hills

Been to Wellfit Malibu? Share your experiences!