“Not worth the price”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Las Flores Canon
Transit: We are located just a few steps from the bus stop 534 on PCH, in between the Malibu Healing Center and the Old Court House on the Hill side.
Description: Very Stylish Resterent in the most elegantpart of Mailbu
Malibu, California
“Not worth the price”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I go to La Costa Mission often because it is convenient. They have potential but are not living up to it. The food is hit & miss. Last night we went with friends-- we started with the queso fundido which was served luke warm.. I had seafood which was very tough... couldn't even chew it. My husband had lamb chops served cold, and a friend ordered the skirt steak which was very tough. It is not a cheap mexican restaurant-- they hold themselves out to be high end, yet the tables are covered with thick butcher paper that is a tactile nightmare. They used to serve great drinks - but have recently cut down on the pour.... no one wants to go to a neighborhood joint, pay high prices, and get a small drink.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank mskatia1

San Jose, California
“Worth the price you pay!”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We tried this place on a week night and found it to be a very pleasant surprise. The dining area was almost empty at 7:45, bar was full and buzzing. The atmosphere was inviting and gave us the impression that this was not your ordinary Mexican restaurant, this was something special.
You enter into a closed patio, attached to what seems an old adobe casa. Floors were done in a wonderful tile mosaic, there was a beautiful fountain inside and the warm lighting that gave this place an elegant feel.
The service was fast and attentive. Start with one of their specialty cocktails! Selection of those was very good and not overpriced for the area.
The menu was an assortment of typical favorites but with an eclectic twist - rack of lamb, Coho salmon, duck breast, wild fish to name a few. Very hard to decide between so many unusual choices. We ended up with the special of the evening, a Mole sampler plate and the Chile Relleno. Gluten free was not an issue here, and the homemade corn tortillas were excellent!
One word of caution, the entrees run around an average of $28 - some less/some more - and are nice portions, not generous. Plan accordingly and order appetizer and dessert if you're really hungry.
Our experience was great, not rushed and we thought worth the price for a very nice dinner. I would not recommend this place for young children, seems more appropriate for the over 21 crowd. The waiters are dressed up, the atmosphere elegant and the noise level very low. The bar was filled with locals.
We plan to return soon and hope this place gives us another great experience!

• Visited May 2014
Vleuten, The Netherlands
“Classy or sloppy?”
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

There is potention in this restaurant, but it was not great when we went there. Also it is rather strange that the owner walks through the restaurant in sloppy clothes and all the waiters are all dressed up. The appetizer and desserts were good, but in my main ( chefs special of the day) some items were burned. The service was okay, but it is disturbing when they want to get rid of you as quickly as possible (even if the place is not even half filled). The prices are to high for how it is now. I think the owner has to make his mind up, Classy or cheap.

Ledbury, United Kingdom
“Good meal but nothing spectacular”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We went here to meet friends whilst staying in Santa Monica, it was a 20 minute taxi ride away but as we had heard such good things thought we would give it a go.

Upon arrival we were greeted quite quickly and as our friends hadn't arrived we decided to have a drink at the bar. Despite plenty of staff around we waited a good few minutes before we were acknowledged and served. A short time later our friends arrived and we were shown to our table. We were served quite quickly here, although I wouldn't have expected any less as there were only another five people eating. The food arrived after a 15 min or so wait and looked great however it was only tepid to warm to say the least. We decided to not to make a fuss as we were all very hungry, it did taste good though :-)

Desert was great a chocolate pudding to die for....

As we were finishing off there was lots of activity cleaning up etc. which made us feel a little unwelcome. The restaurant arranged for a cab and we waited outside. As we did so it was obvious why they were cleaning up, they close at 9.30pm and it was 10.15......shame we didn't know this before as we would have gone somewhere time wasn't such an issue.

All in all an average meal and service, although I am not sure I would make the effort to go back next time I am in town.

• Visited January 2014
Westchester County, New York
“Still dreaming about my meal!”
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

When friends we were visiting in Los Angeles suggested lunch at a local Mexican restaurant, I expected the usual fare. First, the venue is so attractive ... an hacienda style building with thick white walls and an inviting fireplace in the main dining area. The waitstaff were genuinely pleasant, attentive, and helpful. We started with guacamole and a sampler of moles -- the black mole was my favorite. I followed this with the chicken soup, called sopa “Xochitl” -- Modesty aside, I have always prided myself on making the best homemade chicken soup I ever tasted -- I could hardly believe it, but the soup I consumed at La Costa Mission so outperformed mine I've been dreaming about it ever since -- such a rich broth replete with shredded chicken, carrots, green beans, and rice. I'm still desperate to learn what the secret ingredient was that differentiated the its broth from mine. I could have ordered 3 bowls and called it a day. Because I like my food a little spicier, they produced an habanero sauce that was incredibly flavorful -- oh my, I'm dying to know exactly how it was prepared -- the waiter said roasted peppers, orange juice, lime juice -- but I'd love more details because not only did I add it to my soup, I finished it off with my marinated duck and grilled red onion quesadillas! Chicken and steak tacos were ordered by the others -- but this was not your ordinary Tex-Mex meal. You could tell the tortillas were not commercially mass-produced. The black beans and jicama salad were delicious as well. We shared a rich warm chocolate tamale with ice cream and mini churros sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and served with a caramel sauce. The entire meal was heavenly -- and I'm still dreaming about it!

Visited January 2014