“Low tide only” 4 of 5 bubbles

Malibu, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Low tide only”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

We live in Malibu and go here occasionally with our kids. It is particularly beautiful here, and throughout Malibu, this time of year (November, December) as the frequent Santa Ana winds make for clear skies with views of the offshore islands and very little crowds. One very important tip for El Matador beach is that it should be done during a very low tide and nice weather. These low tides occur during full moon and new moon periods, and often reach their lowest around sunset during the winter (check tide charts online). This makes for a beautiful sunset walk through many caves (not approachable during high tides) and amazing tide pools. For us the only drawback is that photographers frequent the beach bringing equipment, reflectors, tripods, and usually scantily dressed girls draping themselves in kelp hoping to be the next seductive swimsuit model. This can detract from the natural beauty of the place, but this is usually centered near the bottom of the path down to the beach and it's a big beach with plenty of room for all. Hope this tip helps; enjoy.

11 Thank agentmoldy

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Not every beach needs sunny day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

went there on a cloudy day and close to sunset time. this place is a little different from the other beaches, famous for its rocks which makes it more interesting for kids. and it's a little cold at this time of year, but witnessed a belly dancer shooting some propaganda film, very gorgeous, hah

2 Thank Ying L
Fontana, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Photographer's Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

Best beach in Southern California for photography. I go there often to take pics of the settings. The rocks and cliffs are stunning. During the fall and winter months, the beach is almost empty, and you have most of the beach to yourself. I would recommend anyone that visits Southern California to head to this paradise.

2 Thank Craig R
Houston, Texas
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Great view but no conveniences”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

This beach had an amazing view. It cost $8 per day parking. On the day I visited there was a parking lot attendant verifying parking payments.
The view was great but it was a challenge to get down from the parking lot to sand. There wasn't any place to buy food so pack all that you need and don't forget anything in your car or you may regret making multiple trips up and down the cliff side. There is only one portable toilet that I could see. I wouldn't recommend this place for anyone who finds walking or climbing long distances hard.

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Beautiful spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I had a few hours to myself on a Thursday afternoon, so I looked to Trip Advisor to help me find a great spot.. and once again... TA came through. This spot is a gem. Very different that many of the beaches to the North and South. The rock formations are beautiful, and while I was there, there were only a handful of other people scattered around. I grabbed a book and listened to the sound of the waves, with the sun on my face, and watched the Long-Billed Curlew poke around in the sand ... it was ahhhhhhh..... I could feel the stress of the work week drain out of me.

I forgot to pay the parking machine, but the attendant there just put a post-it on my car to remind me. So when I got back to my car, I paid, and he crossed my car off the list. Nice Guy.. I suppose if I had stayed down there on the beach until after he left for the day, I probably would have gotten a ticket. He was very nice to give me a reminder and a chance to pay.

Visited October 2013