“What a Major Disappointment!”
Review of Malibu Country Inn

Malibu Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Malibu B&B and Inns
California
“What a Major Disappointment!”
Reviewed July 7, 2007

The Malibu Country Inn has done a fabulous job with their website; how misleading and disceptive. First of all, it is NOT a Bed & Breakfast as advertised; we did receive a coupon for a free muffin and coffee at the local cafe -- good for ONE person. We stayed in room 19 and this was our experience: the toilet was literally unattached from the floor and unsafely wiggled when we had to use it; the wood headboard was unattached from the bed frame, so every time we slighty moved on the bed the headboard banged the wall --- much to our neighbor's dismay; the room heater had a very unpleasant burning order; one entire wall was nothing but tacky mirrors; the window frames were full of rust and our room did not come with a hair dryer as i requested when i booked my reservation. The worst and most inconvient part was was when we tried to check out in the morning -- there was no one there to help us until a clerk came on shift at 8:00am; we were ready to check out at 7:40 due to an appointment. When i complained to the clerk at check out about the horrendous condition of our room and especially the unsafe conditions of the toilet, she simply & insincerely apologized and offered no other forms of satiafaction.... My husband and I feel very deceived at the advertsement for this Inn and believe that the $205.00 that we spent on our 1 night at this place was a complete rip-off.

• Liked — local cafe
  • Disliked — the room was horrible in every way
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Bellarose1964

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Spokane
Reviewed April 8, 2007

The owner of this hotel shoud be embarrassed. Clearly there is no "pride of ownership" here. It strikes me that the current owner is very short-term focused since there is little chance anyone will have much good to say about this motel and little chance that any guest would want to stay here again. The only chance this owner has is to continue catering to people willing to spend about $250 per night on an old, dirty, run down, moldy shack of a motel with poor customer service, antiquated systems, noisy disgusting jacuzzis, a freezing cold "heated" pool, cramped parking, shoddy construction, broken light fixutres, sqeaky closet doors, pee-stained bathrooms, unworkable windows, and odd-shaped waste of space rooms. What a joke that we actually brought our bathing suits specifically for this pool. The website is completely misleading. When we arrived it took half an hour to check us in even though we had the confirmation number provided directly by the hotel. We were then double charged for our stay. This took well over a month, several phone calls, several attempted faxes (but their fax was not working), a report to the Better Business Bureau, a great deal of stress and frustration, several broken promises, and as of this writing, yet unresolved. Truly a sad way to run a business.

• Liked — Location is great
  • Disliked — Motel is just plain horrible all around
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank Seasoned_traveler_RT
Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2007

We stayed here in March 2007 with 3 kids. The only room available for us was a king bed and 2 cots, so it was a little tight. Drawer room was great, the closet was very nice. The bathroom was super, kind of silly but I liked the new Kohler tub and toilet! The sink was older and small, and only a small shelf to store toiletries, but the size of the bathroom made up for that. It was a huge bathroom!

The walk to the beach was very do-able with youngsters, I took a cup of coffee from the room and it was a very pleasant walk. We loved Zuma Beach.

The continental breakfast is one muffin or toast, with coffee and juice. So plan for a big lunch, you'll be hungry. The view from the restaurant was very nice, and service was friendly.

The only negative thing was the 15 minute drive to Malibu Country Mart where we ate most of our meals. It would have been nice to stay closer to town.

Be sure to drive down the street and up the mountain, find the lookout point up on top and climb the trails. It is a beautiful view!

We will probably not stay here again just due to location, but if you are looking for a very quiet place with nice facilities this will work. Enjoy Malibu!

Stayed March 2007
2 Thank loverealitytv
New Hampshire
Reviewed February 13, 2007

I stayed at the Inn for eleven days and ten nights. I spent a lot of time walking on Zuma Beach and the neighborhood above it--mostly a gated community but a pleasant walk. I brought knitting, reading materials, and as there is only so much beach walking, reading, and knitting in one day, I also spent a lot of time at the Hideaway Cafe. I loved the staff there and the food is very good. I stayed in both types of rooms. The decks of the single rooms in a row that the previous writer wrote of are a wonderful place to sit, but in October of 2005, when I stayed there, in need of paint or shelack. Some of the rooms appeared to be recently redone, and some were in need of a pick me up---however it was overall a wonderful place to be and I loved it--and would return there. I had gone to California to attend two galas but in between sought rest and relaxation. I found it. The summer sunbathers had long been gone from the beach in October so it could be enjoyed as almost my own for awhile. I earfuls of celebrity gossip, including about my own favorite actor, from people I met on my daily walks. Only once did I meet a snob who ended the conversation as soon as she discovered I was not "Malibu" but only visiting. However her dog was very friendly. LOL The room I had above the lobby/reception was lovely with a fireplace, kitchenette area and whirlpool bath--the deck was shared with only one other suite. I would recommend the Inn as a quiet, romantic if you wish to be, enjoyable get a way----in eleven days I did not feel that the traffic from PCH in any way disturbed me--I didn't think of it at all. Recommended lodging

• Liked — Peaceful
  • Disliked — Needs some attention--the decks of the ollder accomodations,
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled solo
4 Thank Mizpoet
California
Reviewed February 5, 2007

This is one of the best places I've stayed! It's small enough that it almost feels like your at a bed and breakfast but with much more privacy. All of the rooms are different, so it doesn't feel like you're staying in an ordinary hotel, and most of them have Fantastic views! You are close to Point Dume which has a great beach that is not too crowded and also a great hike with breathtaking views. Also, the Hideaway Cafe, the restaurant at the hotel is wonderful...great food!. We got engaged here, and just came back for our 1st year anniversary and it was just as romantic! I would recommend this for any occasion whether it be a bridal shower or small wedding, or even just a weekend getaway! Who wouldn't want to go to Malibu?!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Front Desk people - not the friendliest
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rmooney
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 4, 2006

I was getting married close by and decide to stay here. On my recommdation, so did members of my family. For the price of the rooms, one would not only expect better service, but also more ammenities, not grand ammenities, but maybe an extra bar of soap, a few more towels in case more than one towel is needed or maybe an iron and table. The rooms are very small and dark. The door opened directly into the crowded parking lot where car exhaust gets into the room if you have your window open. Forget about sleeping in.

Here is the kicker; customer service borders on the criminal. Credit cards are charged BEFORE checkout without the presence of the customer much less a signature! Once done, customer serive will do as little as possible to remedy the situation. Phone calls were not returned and once they are "caught" on the phone, they are not helpful or even apologetic for their own mistakes!! It did not only happen to us, but to ALL of our family members as well!! Horrible experience.
The thought of "It looks nice and MAYBE that won't happen to me" may occure, but please read all the other horrible reviews.

• Liked — Convenience
  • Disliked — Customer service
  • Tips/Secrets — Select a different location
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank eanda
MalibuCountryInn, Management at Malibu Country Inn, responded to this review, December 15, 2008
Hello and thank you for your comments. Although it is never pleasant to see an unhappy guest, it is nice to know that they are willing to share their comments so that we may learn from them. Although your post is a few years old, I am part of a team who has come in to try to turn around this property to please our patrons. Please rest assured that your comment counts, and we are using all comments found to help guide us to what we should do to make your stay more pleasant.

As to concerns listed in your email, you are correct that we are an older property, dating back to the time when the Coast Guard took up posts along what would later be called Malibu. So, we are aware of conditions that are due to age and wear and tear that we are developing a plan to correct. At this time, we are anticipating remodeling and redecorating in the near future, and are checking out all of our options.

But, the things that we could address, we have. I actually used your letter as a primary basis for several changes I made take effect several months ago. All rooms now receive the two bars of soap mentioned. All rooms receive three towels, the room with two beds and the rooms with jacuzzis receive four towels. I'm not sure if they were available at the time of your stay, but we do have irons, iron boards, and hair dryers available upon request.

Credit cards are not charged until you check out, although there will be a preauthorized hold placed for the expected amount of billing to ensure that the credit card is valid and capable of being charged the expected amount. This however, is only a hold, not a charge, and never goes to a charge until the time of checkout, as you could pay with cash at the time of checkout.

As to the customer service, I can only advise you that we have changed the staff completely and management as well. We have tried hard, and are always open and willing to hear comments and suggestions. Please feel free to contact me personally if you have any other concerns.

mworth@malibucountryinn.com
Ventura, CA
Reviewed April 10, 2006

The service was great, every one that we talked to at the hotel was really nice. It's also not too far of a walk to the beach and every porch has a great view. However the hotel was old, dirty, and our smelled musty and old. The porch was falling apart and the hot tub water needed to be changed becuase it smelled as well. I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2006
4 Thank Chelle662
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malibu
Malibu
Huntley Santa Monica Beach
#7 of 36 in Santa Monica
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,218 reviews
Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Malibu Country Inn? Share your experiences!